Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #136
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
While there are many things about this trip you wont ever likely forget in your lifetime, you and that motorcycle ride will be a memory of that 14 year old girl for the rest of her life. THAT was some awesome shit. Something so simple, so brief, and yet so eternal. I enjoyed your RR a lot- you write like you think, and thats the best writing there is...
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #137
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
While there are many things about this trip you wont ever likely forget in your lifetime, you and that motorcycle ride will be a memory of that 14 year old girl for the rest of her life. THAT was some awesome shit. Something so simple, so brief, and yet so eternal. I enjoyed your RR a lot- you write like you think, and thats the best writing there is...
There is a book by Dickens, The tale of two cities, (iirc) that opens with "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times". That's how I feel about living with the Santiago family. In many ways it was the best part of the trip but in just as many it was the worst part of the trip. I know the kids had fun going for rides on the motorcycle, I know they enjoyed me buying them a bunch of junk food and pop, but it rips my heart out that i couldn't do something a little more meaningful in their lives.
Don't get me wrong, every time I watch the video Adriana took over my shoulder,at the point where she laughs, I can't stop the ear to ear smile that happens every time. I enjoyed giving them the rides more than they enjoyed getting the ride

sraff screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 07:59 AM
sraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #138
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by sraff View Post
There is a book that opens with "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times". That's how I feel about living with the Santiago family. In many ways it was the best part of the trip but in just as many it was the worst part of the trip. I know the kids had fun going for rides on the motorcycle, I know they enjoyed me buying them a bunch of junk food and pop, but it rips my heart out that i couldn't do something a little more meaningful in their lives.
I just did some quick math, if I could have brought water down the hill for 3/8 of a mile, that would have saved thousands of miles of walking for the community/year. 2 dozen households x 3/4 mile x 365 days/yr = 6,570. For that I could have said " I helped these people". But motorcycle rides? it rips my heart out, THAT is why the trip ended the way it did.
Don't get me wrong, every time I watch the video Adriana took over my shoulder,at the point where she laughs, I can't stop the ear to ear smile that happens every time. I enjoyed giving them the rides more than they enjoyed getting the ride
And you were prepared to make that happen. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, some bureaucratic nonsense made that impossible. You did what you could with the resources you had, and I dont think you have anything to feel guilty about.

Many times I have heard people boasting about buying a homeless person a meal and handing it to them instead of giving them the 5 dollars directly. Their reasoning usually revolves around the idea that the homeless person would spend that money on wine instead of on food, so it is better to give the food instead of the money. However, if they were that hungry, they would spend it on food. If they instead choose to spend it on wine, than that is what they DESIRE and its what brings them happiness in their lives. "Is a hero's blood more righteous than a hobo's sip of wine?". When a person is that low (as were the members of that village), sometimes the balance of wine is just as important as food.

You and your motorcycle functioned as that bottle of wine man
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #139
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129

Cesario was talking about faces or something while we were taking these pictures, it got lost in translation???

I can't believe nobody got this one.... after we looked at the pics on my computer, it was obvious to me what he is talking about. If you look at the reflections in the water, at times, it looks like faces looking up at you, AT TIMES
sraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #140
ggoytia
Mobile Fatso

Oddometer: 184
Awesome report. Thank you for taking the time to post it. And pictures were good
ggoytia is offline   Reply With Quote