Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132

Grand Royal in Tampico Sorry about picture quality everythings done with a gopro or iphone

sraff screwed with this post 07-27-2012 at 11:11 AM
sraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
thedrewski86
too few miles

Oddometer: 70
Dude, I used to live just outside of san luis potosi as a kid. Love to see it, it brings back memories!
thedrewski86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking Grand Royal in Tampico

Warned you I'm no photogragher pretty nice place, under $50/night. A little more than I budgeted for but it was getting dark and I didn't think it would kill me.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Slp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrewski86 View Post
Dude, I used to live just outside of san luis potosi as a kid. Love to see it, it brings back memories!
I loved slp and will be going back before i head home, a beautiful place
Old 07-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

7/9 Day 15

7/9 Day 15
Did absolutely nothing today. Hung out at the hotel
7/10 Day 16
Need to hit the bank today, pull out the gps, got one less than a half mile away. So, I'll take a walk, get to the bank and there's 15-20 people waiting for the atm. After a few minutes, I can see I'm getting some stares, 2 guys are whispering and it's one of those, "I can tell they're talking about me". I'm just not getting the warm fuzzy feeling. I'm up, step into the little booth, and at this point I'm sure I'll be robbed as soon as I step out. I dont know if it was that or my brain isn't working in peso mode yet, but I took out 500 pesos, stepped out and walked back to the hotel. No banditos. After a bit it sinks in, 500 pesos is like $40 dumbass.
7/11 Day 17
Walk back to the bank today, still dont know why my brain can't get into peso mode, took out 1000 pesos. Or maybe I just have a tough time taking 2000-3000 anything out of the bank. Instead of scurrying back to the hotel, I take a walk thru the neighborhood. But I'm just not feeling it, I'm getting stares from people and nobody is what I would call friendly. I don't know if I'm in the wrong barrio or what but I just can't shake that uneasy feeling. Within an hour I'm back at the hotel.
Game plan is tomorrow morning I'm heading for San Luis Potosi, but as I straighten up my gear I spot a card on the desk with the hotel's services and see laundry, Hell yea. I run down, book an exta night and then ask " mi ropa es sucio?", that's all I could remember, I forgot the rest but hoped it would convey the message. It did, but she responded with " no,no mas". To be sure I asked again and she explained they don't do that anymore.
7/12 Day 18
not much today, packed my gear and hung out at the hotel
7/13 Day 19
Up and out early, well that was the plan. I pulled out of the parking garage about 11. SLP is about 200 miles, I can do that in 4 hours in my sleep, so why rush?
Old 07-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #21
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,059
Old 07-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tampico - San Luis Potosi

As you leave sea leval at Tampico, it's pretty straight stuff but then you start to climb. Slowly at 1st, but steady, and then a little more and you start getting into constant big sweepers like this. ( I'm having no luck with multiple pics yet, so forgive me on this)
Old 07-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #23
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 07-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #24
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 07-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #25
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh Tampico - San Luis Potosi

An absolutely beautiful day, the pictures don't come close to doing it justice. Sorry to say, when I was in the best riding, switchback to switchback, the lens on the gopro had fogged up. Great day to ride, it's days like this that make you remember why your alive. Once I was up into the mountains the temp dropped to comfortable, maybe 80f. The only bitch I had was all the trucks, as you can see you usually couldn't see over 100 yards ahead. North of the border passing in a spot like this would be insane, not here. I guess the rule is, if you don't see anybody then nobodies coming. For an hour or so, I'd have heart failure every time I watched somebody do it, while I'd putt along behind the truck as cars passed me and the truck. I'd wait til the truck would get down to 10mph and then go for it when I could see for 100 yards, but I started going with the flow after a bit. Maybe not full blown Mexican style driving, but way out of the realm of US standards.
Went thru 2 check points today, 1st one just as I was leaving Tampico, as I was rolling into it, I hit a tope a little hard and smacked down on the motor case ,no damage. Just got waved thru the check point.
Second one was mid afternoon, as I pulled up to this one, same thing, smacked down on a tope, I believe the ones at the check points are a little more aggressive. This check point LOOKS like a war zone, there are large boulders scattered stratigically throughout the area and you have to do a zig zag to get thru, guess they've had a problem here. But the new building looks like it will be done soon.

sraff screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 06:28 AM
Old 07-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #26
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Puke San Luis Potosi

A very short video shortly after leaving Tampico, still in the flat stuff. Don't know why they don't show as video but if you click on it, it'll play. Video takes forever to load and after tonight I probably won't have decent internet, so getting videos up may have to wait
Now I'll give all you noobs a tip, taken from my vast wealth of experience. Without fail, set up your days ride so that you're riding east in the mornings and west in the afternoon, it seems to work great for me
With that said it's late afternoon, I'm riding straight into the sun. Normally, I try to follow someone while riding down here, the exact opposite of how I ride in the states. But I found myself on my own at one point. Now I've mentioned speed limits have no meaning here, about every 200 yards it goes from 80kph to 40kph. Basically any building you pass, it drops to 40. So, I'm rolling about 50mph, the speed limit drops to 40kph, but there's only 3-4 buildings so I don't worry about it. I chop the throttle but no brakes, suns in my eyes, pretty well blinding me, and boom there it is, a tope 30' ahead. I jump on the binders and either I hit an oil patch or was to hard on em, but the front locks up and starts to go out from under me. No biggy, I just let off the brakes and hit the tope at speed. It was one of the little ones so no harm done.
About an hour before dark, now I'm looking straight into the sun, I'm coming into SLP. Traffic is light, and I'm on a road thats maybe 3-4 lanes each way. Not a car, truck, or even donkey cart in front of me for close to a half mile. Then this honda cage flies past me, whips it into my lane, and slams on the brakes. NO way is this pig gonna stop so I do the flash over the right shoulder and start taking the right lane, eyes forward again and OMG, I'm gonna hit him doing 50mph, throw it hard right and miss it by inches, maybe 6". NOW, I'm pissed, while eyeballing him, I kick it down a gear and go wot, the whole time eyeballing him and m f'ing him. Eyes forward once more and WTF, one of the BIG topes and I'm on it. Hit it doing 50mph+, smacked my helmet off the wind screen on the launch, bottomed out the suspension and went airborn. On landing, it hit so hard, it just about threw me off, bottomed out and kissed the handle bars with my helmet, knocked the gps off and God knows what else. Totally squirrelly, took out 2-3 lanes, but only due to my expertise, I kept it up. ON a side note, the maid at the hotel is doing my laundry, I seem to be out of clean underwear I dodged a BIG bullet this time, luck or God was with me because my fat ass didn't keep that bike uprightNow in hindsight I think the cage was trying to warn me in his own way because there was nobody close to us when he did it, but he tied up my concentration for 100', I might have spotted it by then on my own. The bike gets a close inspection tomorrow.
Roll into what I figure is town square, do most of a lap and see a cop standing at the curb, pull over and " donde esta el hotel bueno" comes out, I think I'm pretty good at this. He looks at me and says "muy bueno?",sure WTH si. He starts with directions and I have to give him my "yo no hablo espanol, el nombre?" and he's lost. I bring up hotels on my gps and show him, he points one out and says MUY bueno, and starts with directions again. I hit go on the gps and boom, it's like a 1/4 mile away, I show him the gps screen with the map on it, he smiles and says muy bien and I'm off to get a room. pull into the hotel parking area, walk into the lobby and this is a REALLY nice place, I'm gonna like this. Ask the hottie at the desk how much/night, she responds but I'm not picking up what she's laying down. Repite por favor (its close), she gets a pen and writes it down. My glasses are back on the bike, but I see it starts with 2 5, 250 pesos, book me for a month baby!!! She says blah blah and points to it again That's 2500 pesos/night. Even if she came with the room I can't afford that.
I ask the guy in the parking lot " done esta un hotel mas barrato, 500 pesos o menos". Go thru the directions, gps thing with him but he says everything on my gps is muy carro. Ok, I get a name and he points me in the right direction. I ride up the 7 blocks like he said, ask someone else, nope dont know. I ride in circles for a bit, see a bunch of motos and scooter parked so I park mine. Walk over to the closest girl and ask " donde esta hotel napoles", 3 blocks that way. I figure it's easier to walk, go 4 blocks, dont see it, ask another cop, he points out the sign and says 3 more blocks.
Now every other street in this area is closed for pedestrians only, so it makes navigating without gps difficult. Go back, grab the bike, over 3 blocks ( 1 is closed, 2 is a wrong way one way ), turn left, go 7 blocks but oops, it's a wrong way, one more, back over 3, turn left, and I'm lost. Nothing looks familiar, pull up to an old guy standing at the curb " donde esta hotel napoles" donde? I repeat it, " hotel napoles? nooo senor", I repeat it to a girl walking by, she says " a la derecha" and points up at the tall building I'm sitting next to. I pull up 50' turn right and i'm there. I say gracias again when she walks by smiling. She must have thought I was a dumbass. It's about $50 but it's well after dark and I'm tired. Great day of riding, a few blips but I can deal with them.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #27
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

San Luis Potosi

SLP is an old colonial city, pretty cool place. This is the museo de mascara, (think i spelled it right), NO it's not the makeup museum, museum of masks
Old 07-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #28
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

San Luis Potosi

Teatro de la paz, I know I butchered this but I'm backed right into a vendors stall, any farther away and they'd be in the pic, you see 1 on the right

sraff screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 12:25 AM
Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #29
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

San Luis Potosi

And the church, the detail on this place is unbelievable, all 3 buildings are on the same square, Plaza del Carmen?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #30
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

San Luis Potosi

This church, I believe is the oldest in town, it's being renovated. Look closely at the scaffolding, single 2x12's