User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #76
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Laugh

I'm trying to figure out where to go next, it's mid afternoon, so I'd like to have a room in the next few hours. We'll just let it happen, I head north on 85, past aquismon, as I cross rio coy, the water is freaky blue, it doesn't look real. Not a dark blue, a very very pale blue, I've been surrounded by water all my life and have never seen water this color. A few more miles and I do a u-turn, I want to check out the river. I knew there's a water fall on a freaky blue river near here, Thank you oyster, so i stopped and asked. Got decent directions and started motoring, after 20 minutes I ask again, " no senor, no cascada", cascada= waterfall. he gives me more directions but I'm pouting, so I'm not picking up what he's laying down. Ride back out to 85 and backtrack south? dont know why, it felt right. Get down to the turn off for aquismon and indecision strikes, hmmm, don't know what to do? There's the hotel,looks nice, let's get a room. NOT for 560 pesos, walk out and think about it for a second, go back in and book it.
Thanks to the good internet here the ride report starts to happen. The next morning is misting a little so I use that as an excuse to stay another day and do nothing except work on the rr. The morning of 7/28 I pack up looking at dark clouds and thunder storms to the northwest, the direction I chose to head, make it up the road 10 miles and ride into a downpour,10 minutes later I'm back in the same room.
7/29
Cloudy and misty again but it burns off by 11, so I do it again. But instead of north, I go west to sotano dlg. As i'm rolling thru town, I bump into Cesario in front of grandma's house, he's the guy that tried to talk me into repelling. It took a second to put 2+2 together, he's grandma's son. SO he asks "you want repel" and i responded "hell yes, si"
We did a little talking and he explained "no repel sotano, muchas permitas" or something like that. " but we repel into cave, 60 meters, u like". I was really hoping for the 900' repel but I guess this will do. In minutes we're riding 2 up on my fully loaded bike heading back toward aquismon. About 2/3 of the way back, he taps me and points left, now normally I wouldn't go down this road by myself totally empty. The entrance is about a 35% downhill made up of golf ball to baseball size rock, I motion for him to get off. I get 30 yards in and its not horrible. Cesario jumps on, and for a bit I can handle it, but it gets worse and i get nervous. I'm way overloaded and way over my skill level, you know what happens next. I'm get caught in a rut, bounce off a football size rock into a basketball and over we go. Well, not really over just a hard lean, the pannier and crash bar keep it from laying out flat. A little further and the "road" is the same but it starts climbing hard, I tell Cesario i cant make it. He jumps off, motions for me to continue on and takes off up a trail. 3 or 4 sets of switchbacks later he flags me down, i guess the road gets better here, I GUESS.
Another 1/2 mile and we come into a "town". Except for the power lines coming into town, this place looks right out of an old Pancho Villa movie, oh, it's not in black and white. I'm dreading the ride out so i half joke with Cesario that I may need a taxi to come get him out. the joke didnt translate, "no taxis aqui". The only motored way in is 4 wheel drive, atv or moto, or else you're riding something with 4 legs or walking.
"Town" is the end of the road, so we park the bike and start walking. Ater 10 minutes we show up at a big cave, its deep enough you need lights to see. In 150 yards or so, we step into a huge chamber, its dome shaped, 250'-300' across and 200' high with a hole in the ceiling. The hole is where we will repel from.There's another cave leading to a ladder/stair setup to get us out and a few minutes more, I'm looking down from above.
Cesario hooks up the harness while giving me instructions in spanish, which I cant understand, but I've seen it done in movies it doesnt look to hard. And then he motions for me to step over the edge, about now it enters my head I should tell him I've never done this before, lost in translation. He continues with instruction i cant understand and for whatever reason, I stepped off the edge. I'm now completely hanging from the line and Cesario, VERY excitedly, yells "stoop, stoop, stoop". It gives you a bit of an uneasy feeling to be 200' in the air and hear that. He reaches over the edge, makes an adjustment and "OK". I start down and its going well, KEEP LOOKING UP, KEEP LOOKING UP. I get down about 60' and take a break, this is way more physical than i thought it would be. I start down again and decide I wanna be cool and do a rapid decent like a swat team dropping from a chopper. Cool as hell until I realize, I cant stop myself and I'm picking up speed. The only thing I could think to do was take a wrap on the slack line and jam the gear with my glove hand, which worked but I hit so hard it flipped me upside down. I yelled up for tension on the safety line and tried to take a break. While they held me there, I tried to right myself but no matter what I tried I couldnt do it. Well what can you do, I inched myself down, upside down. When I made the bottom I was exhausted. I layed there for 10 minutes and didnt move. Once I was clear Cesario came down in about 30 seconds.
I told him "no mas" not out of fear, out of exhaustion. I explained I couldn't do it again, i'm spent. It got lost in translation, I was trying to tell him, this isnt take a 10 minute break exhausted, this is I'm done til tomorrow. Finally he said they'd put me on a safety line and just lower me down for pictures, kinda cheatin, but thats what we did.
Back up top ready to go again, some of the young guys that showed up to help, drop in and are down in 45 seconds. Then I'm up, I step over and "stoop ,stoop, stoop", there aint nothing I can do, i aint runnin this show. Only problem is Cesario cant reach my harness, so he starts handing me caribiner clips while giving me instructions in spanish. This isn't a good place for a language barrier. Ok thats not working, hands me something else and i figure out what we're trying to do, all set.Since I was hands free, I even got some video with the iphone. But I felt like a wuss. Dont know if I mentioned this or not, I'm not real fond of heights Pics coming in a bit

sraff screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 05:07 AM
sraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #77
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntroxis View Post
Great RR. Enjoying it all.
Glad you're enjoying the ride, you know I am.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #78
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclecticmale View Post
Sraff, liking your RR, I will be heading down the Mexico way on 15SEP12, thanks for all of the tips...keep them coming and enjoy your trip!!!!!
I dont know about other places in mexico, but I'm loving the state of san luis potosi, I would gladly spend another month here if the money holds out
Old 08-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #79
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Great RR ! You are in a great area right now, lots of places to see there around .
Keep on enjoying it

Back at ya, I lived north of fairbanks about 25 years ago. Alaska is an amazing place. Reading your report makes me homesick
Old 08-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #80
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCZ View Post
Really likiing your ride report - great adventure - thanks for taking us along

Rick
Actually, I just ripped off oyster's thread, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806946, he gave me the ideas on where to go. They did the whirlwind tour, I'm doing the " I'm a fat ass and I'm in no hurry tour"
Thanks for joining the ride
Old 08-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #81
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The fat ass repel show

Old 08-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #82
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The fat ass repel show

Old 08-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #83
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The fat ass repel show

Old 08-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #84
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The fat ass repel show

Old 08-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #85
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The fat ass repel show

Somebody that knows what they're doing
Old 08-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #86
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The fat ass repel show

and then there's this my center of gravity must be different
Old 08-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #87
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The fat ass repel show

Old 08-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #88
Aventeren
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
You have a great style--and it sounds like you're having a great time. I'm planning a trip down to Belize later this fall, and it's fun to read about things when they are going well. Keep it up!

Aventeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #89
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCinPDX View Post
You have a great style--and it sounds like you're having a great time. I'm planning a trip down to Belize later this fall, and it's fun to read about things when they are going well. Keep it up!

I wish i could have had a chance to get over to the yucatan. The expats i ran into at las pozas live there and said its awsome, i would have liked to see some maya ruins, but it gives me a reason to come back
Old 08-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #90
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

3rd time down to sotano de las golondrinas

Made it back out with no problems and head back to grandma's. Cesario and me, followed by Brigidio (spelling ??)who was one of the repellers. we get back to grandma's and are joking about my repel, strange how things like that are funny after the fact, but not so much while its happening. I mention I want to find the place with the freaky blue water, Brigidio starts with directions and I'm lost. He then pulls out a tourist map and starts drawing in roads, finally I say to hell with it, I'll just pay him to be my guide. I'm thinking 50 pesos, he says 500, we settle at 300. Brigidio speaks no english, so we're depending on my spanish. I got 7:30, at sotano dlg, muy bien. Next morning i'm up by 7, ready to go at 7:25 but then something got my attention for a few minutes? dont remember what, and I get down to the parking area about 7:40, no Brigidio, his motos not there so I sit and wait. I've read that in latin america when they say 7:30, its more or less a suggestion, they'll get around to it when they can. At 8, I decide to walk down to the sotano, if I miss him, I miss him. Get down to the bottom and here's Brigidio waiting on me. He ropes me off and puts me out on a rock that's living on borrowed time, at some point in the not to distant future, it's going to be at the bottom of the hole. I hang out there for 10 minutes. There's another 10-12 people there and I suggest he put someone else out, he quietly says no and motions for me to stay. 5 minutes later I understood, thousands of birds started coming out. It looked like you put glitter in a bowl of water and stirred. Thousands and thousands of birds circling their way up from 900' below, an unbelievable sight and the sound was beyond anything I'd expected. 3rd times the charm!!!

sraff screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 12:27 PM