User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #91
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Laugh Cascada de tamul

Shortly after the big show, Brigidio says "vamos?", and we're outta here. A nice slow walk out, buy some cold drinks near the top and when we get to the parking area a conversation involving 2 fingers and pointing at my bike takes place. Not wanting a repeat of yesterday, I bend down slap the pavement and say "pavimiento solamente, no tierra para dos personas, pavimiente solamente", to which he assures me it's very good pavement all the way. The game plan is, he will ride his moto to aquismon and then we'll double up. He's right, it's a pretty good road and in 15 minutes he taps me and points left. I make the turn and start to roll on throttle, he stops me, I don't have a clue. A young guy runs up and hands him 4 life jackets and 4 paddles, once he's settled in "esta bien". I start to roll but its kinda steep downhill, so I ask "cuanto" and he assures me "300-400 meters solamente", I can do that. About halfway down I get into some super tight switchbacks, I'm only rolling 10 mph but come into one and there's gravel all over it. Get panicky and get some brake and the front starts to go out from under me. I now have 2 options; lay it down on the concrete or roll off the edge. I dont know why but I went with the latter and yelled "OH SHIT, hang on" and over the edge we go. I think somewhere in my head, I intended to lay it down in the dirt, instead of on the concrete. It just didnt work out that way. Now, I'm not claiming it was a 1/4 mile or even 60 yards, more like 60' down a 60 degree slope but we bounced and banged our way down to the road below, I rolled out onto the pavement and never stopped. I'm not sure what Brigidio said but I think it translates to " WTF are you doing, you crazy f'ing gringo". I apologized repeatedly while laughing like a lunatic. We get to the river and 1st thing he does is tell everyone what just happened, and gets them all laughing. I walk over and he gestures, here's the crazy gringo, and all I could think to say was " es mas rapido". That really got em goin. I wish I had the helmet cam going for that one, bouncing down the slope, him carrying an armful of paddles and life jackets, PRICELESS.
It was supposed to be me, Brigidio, and the 2 guys that come with the boat. A few minutes after we get there, a young guy walks up to me and asks in english if he can join our boat, " sure, WTH". About then I'm looking at the river and notice, it's not blue, it's mud,..... 3 days of rain. We paddle up stream for 45 minutes to get to a 600' waterfall. Brigidio is trying to talk me into repelling down the cliff the falls come off, "I'll get back to you on that, ok". We do our pics at the falls and take off, eh. On the way back we stop at a cave with a pool in it. The pool is fed by an underground spring and is crazy deep, 150' or something like that. took a swim, climbed up and dove off the rocks and acted like kids.
Another Great Day in Mexico!!!
sraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #92
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cascada de tamul

beautiful blu....ah, chocolate brown water, trust me, its really blue normally
Old 08-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #93
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cascada de tamul

Old 08-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #94
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cascada de tamul

Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #95
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cascada de tamul

I photograph so well
Old 08-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #96
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cascada de tamul

Old 08-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #97
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cascada de tamul

Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #98
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cascada de tamul

It doesn't look like it, but it's at least 50 yards back in there, you can see the blue somewhat here
Old 08-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #99
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cascada de tamul

Brigidio
Old 08-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #100
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

and yours truly
Old 08-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #101
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

7/31 Day 37? I'm getting confused

7/31 Day 37? I'm getting confused
Rest day today, hung out at grandma's, her grand kids finally quit hiding and peeking around corners at me. Adriana is 14 and Roque is her younger brother, he's a little more shy, I never could get his age out of him. Adriana was one of the kids that swarmed me day 1 and they were all fascinated by the translater on my iphone. Once we started talking, using the translater, it was obvious she's still fascinated with it, so I let her play with the iphone. She found the camera and asked if she could take a pic of this, then that, I finally told her to be careful with it and get it back to me before she goes to bed. She probably took 300 pics and brought it back when it quit working, she was a bit nervous thinking she broke it. The battery was dead. After a charge, I showed her how to delete photos. She loves that, they look like they're going down the drain into the garbage can, she started taking photos just to delete them. Since I have a ton of photos of every day life in Union de Guadalupe, you get to see at least some of them.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #102
Platinumgrit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel346 View Post
Cool man, the big building is the La Paz Theater btw. Can you use another color besides blue, maybe I'm frigged up or something but having a really hard time seeing/ reading in that color. Keep posting those pics and be safe. The tire story was funny as hell.
so am I, but if you drag your mouse cursor across it to 'select' it (as if you were gonna cut n paste) you can read it OK.
Platinumgrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #103
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Union de Guadalupe

Adriana and Epifania (grandma)

)
Epifania and myself, by the way, I'm only 5' 11"

Adriana

her brother Roque

Cesario and the kids,..... Cesario's wife refused to allow any fotos of her, so i snuck one, that's her in the pink top, red dress

some of the neighbors out for an afternoon stroll, there is nobody with them, they are just walking up the road bt themselves, the day before I was riding up the hill and there were 2 pigs in the road

1/2 dozen street dogs

the night of 7/31, 4 young kids stayed in the room next to mine, and the young guy that joined us in the boat showed up in town and stayed with Brigidio. I TRIED to get a party going but I think it got lost in translation. Thank Adriana for all of the photos of Union de Guadalupe

sraff screwed with this post 08-02-2012 at 09:47 AM
Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #104
sraff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

8/1Day 38

8/1 Day 38
Basically did nothing today, road out to 85 and got a room at the hotel for the night. I needed to take care of a few things at home, and check my finances so I needed the internet, and I thought a shower would be nice.
8/2 Day 39
Got the room, in large part for the internet, 10pm the power goes out. they got the AC going again, but no power at the outlets AND no internet. The hotel is made up of several buildings and the problem was in my building only, the office never lost power. This morning I'm sitting in the restaurante next to the hotel office with the best connection yet.
This afternoon I'm going to ride to grandmas and for a week or so, just chill, and then it looks like the ride home will begin. The moneys getting tight, but at grandmas it's only costing me 125 pesos a day for a room and food,$10/day. If I limit my exploring on the bike to a tank a day, I should be able to swing another week before I have to call it quits. Now that I know I can get Internet at the restaurant I should be able to update a couple times before i head for home.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #105
rides2little
Posts2Little

Oddometer: 222
Great story! Had me laughing out loud several times. Keep it coming.
rides2little is offline   Reply With Quote