Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
FAB-BIKER OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Shipping a motorcycle in/from brazil

Hi all,
I am checking options to send our motorcycles from Rio to Belem in Brazil or From Rio to Bogota, Colombia.
has anyone shipped a motorcycle in this routes or similar?

Thanks!
FAB-BIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
DeepInIt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
You don't give many details about what you are looking for. Maybe I can find more details in my notes butt here are a few leads. There is a large container ship that travels up and down North and South America. It takes planning ahead of time but you can do a roll on. It is a dangerous option for the bike and no gear. Relatively cheap. I just saw a group that sent motorcycles by air from Rio to Cordoba so it is doable on smaller airlines,. However they were fully crated and these guys were a factory team. Rio to Belem, you could throw it on a car carrier but usually you go with it and it is something you do there, not arranged ahead of time. Good luck.

KTM 950SE, KTM450exc, WR262, XR100

SA Trip: http://profundoenel.wordpress.com

My Spot Page: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...VRxGZhKdq5PNll
DeepInIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
FAB-BIKER OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepInIt View Post
You don't give many details about what you are looking for. Maybe I can find more details in my notes butt here are a few leads. There is a large container ship that travels up and down North and South America. It takes planning ahead of time but you can do a roll on. It is a dangerous option for the bike and no gear. Relatively cheap. I just saw a group that sent motorcycles by air from Rio to Cordoba so it is doable on smaller airlines,. However they were fully crated and these guys were a factory team. Rio to Belem, you could throw it on a car carrier but usually you go with it and it is something you do there, not arranged ahead of time. Good luck.
thanks for your reply...we are planning to arrive to Rio from Bogota for the pacific ( Lima, Santiago then Bnos aires) Then Rio and there send to Belem , and Belem to Manaos by ferry. To finish our route from Manaos to Venezuela and then Colombia.
Do you know about fees for these sippings? have you ever tried some similar route?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 520
I'm also looking for ways to ship my bike from BA or Rio back to Colombia or the USA, so I will watch this thread and post up anything I find out.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
DakarOrBust
Adventurer

shipping a klr650

I’m in a similar situation; I want to find out best way to send my bike from rio de janeiro to Montréal? Time is not an issue as it will be the end of my trip and I’m flying home but I’m looking for the most cost efficient way to do this, boat or plane? And any particular company anyone has had a good experience with in past?
DakarOrBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
troyfromtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
It seems that Variglog is the main company for air shipments. But if anyone has more information please do share it.

www.theadventurebegins.tv
2011 Suzuki DR650

troyfromtexas screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 02:57 PM
troyfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Azimuth South
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Well it seems Variglog is out of business ... any other company to recommend in Rio de Janeiro for air freight?
Azimuth South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
1Man2Wheels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Shipping with TAM Cargo - Brazil to USA

Last July I shipped my Vstrom from Foz Do Iguacu to Miami with TAM Cargo. The bike first shipped from Foz to Sao Paulo on a passenger flight and was then loaded on a dedicated cargo flight from there to Miami. I'm assuming that TAM Cargo can offer a similar service from Rio, or if not ride to Sao Paulo and you can ship directly from there. TAM has an extensive route network so I would be surprised if they didn't fly to Bogota also.

What is worth pointing out is that TAM Cargo will ship your bike on passenger flights, but there is a limit of 200KG per package (including crate) so I had to strip down the VStrom into 2 separate crates.

The fare was around $1,400 US, which is cheaper than I was quoted to ship from BA. However the time and energy involved in disassembling the bike, not to mention the expense of crating, fumigation etc needs to be factored in so in the end I didn't save much.

I think my experience would have been a lot smoother if the broker and TAM Cargo at Foz Do Iguacu had any experience in shipping bikes. As they didn't I had to figure out a lot of the process on my own and there were a few false starts and setbacks along the way. Maybe they have more experience shipping bikes from Rio.

Just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

1Man2Wheels screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 08:24 PM Reason: typos
1Man2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
AnjinSan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Hi guys,

I am interested in shipping a bike from Brazil to Europe as well. I've heard rumors that it is "hard due to regulations" but nobody could tell me exactly if this is true or what part is hard.

So does anyone know the process and what it involves? Is it really a hassle and I am better of doing it from BA?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #10
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
The easiest way is using RoRo, but no extra bagage beside the panniers on board . From Rio or other ports of Brazil the bike could be shipped to the U.S. (Galveston TX, Baltimore).

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Just FYA. I shipped my bike BA to San Francisco with www.dakarmotos.com and it was $1800 including dakars fee. I checked around at that time in 2012, and it was the least expensive way back to the US. Chile was twice as much and Brazil about the same. If you shipping to Canada I have heard it's a bit less, but for the trouble I would take Dakar anytime if I was there again. Dave
Old 03-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
FAB-BIKER OP
Adventurer

Dave, do you remember what company in Brasil could ship the bike?
Thks.

QUOTE=CheckerdD;21004316]Just FYA. I shipped my bike BA to San Francisco with www.dakarmotos.com and it was $1800 including dakars fee. I checked around at that time in 2012, and it was the least expensive way back to the US. Chile was twice as much and Brazil about the same. If you shipping to Canada I have heard it's a bit less, but for the trouble I would take Dakar anytime if I was there again. Dave[/QUOTE]
Old 04-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #13
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB-BIKER View Post
Dave, do you remember what company in Brasil could ship the bike?
Thks.

QUOTE=CheckerdD;21004316]Just FYA. I shipped my bike BA to San Francisco with www.dakarmotos.com and it was $1800 including dakars fee. I checked around at that time in 2012, and it was the least expensive way back to the US. Chile was twice as much and Brazil about the same. If you shipping to Canada I have heard it's a bit less, but for the trouble I would take Dakar anytime if I was there again. Dave
[/QUOTE]

I know guys who while we were in BA shipped their bikes up to the US and over to New Zealand, Dakar Motos will set up shipping to anywhere in the world I think. They're nice people too

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote