ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
tannerc OP
Pig Pilot

Oddometer: 253
Black Hills Sept 29th 2012

September 28-30th

I don't know ALL the trails but I know enough to keep busy, tired & sore for a weekend +.

Anyone that is thinking about it MAPS
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQ oYAOUjMeXDfODy-HWHg-zDrx8kb4ADOBro-3nk56bqF-RGGGSZOCoCAPi8eX8!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5292920&navid=360000000000000&pnavid=&ss=110203&position=Not%20Yet%20Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=Black%20Hills%20National%20Forest-%20Maps

Anyone that is thinking about it all of those maps above in Garmin GPS format
There is also a Google Earth KML to download
http://prdp2fs.ess.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQ oYAOUjMeXDfODy-HWHg-zDrx8kb4ADOBro-3nk56bqF-RGGGSZOCoCAPi8eX8!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5292977&navid=360000000000000&pnavid=null&ss=110203&position=Not%20Yet%20Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=Black%20Hills%20National%20Forest-%20Maps

It gets cold out there in the evenings around that time of year.. Below freezing and such is a possibility.
Free Camping! I will get direction to camp location up when we get closer to ride date!

Trail permits
http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/blackhills/passes-permits

tannerc screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 12:41 PM
tannerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,219
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
dufferv65
yeeHa

Oddometer: 45
Correct me if i'm wrong,but I believe as long as your bike is 62" or less in width all trails are fair game, no atv only BS!!!
so long you have a permit and/or a plate on roads and such.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
tannerc OP
Pig Pilot

I do believe all trails are open to two wheelers.... EXCEPT! the horse trails, some 8089 are non-motorized, horse/bicycle

tannerc screwed with this post 07-27-2012 at 04:54 AM Reason: wooops some words dont sound right with out an S :)
Old 07-27-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerc View Post
I do believe all trails are open to two wheelers.... EXCEPT! the horse trails, some 8089 are non-motorized hore/bicycle

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I call dibs on the non-motorized hores. :)
Hank.SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Clay,

I'm glad you started a new thread. I was thinking last night that this should be broken out of the "shindig" thread and have its own. Well done!

This is a ride that I'd definitely like to do. I've not been in the Black Hills proper since 1970. My sons and I stopped at Mt. Rushmore to snap a couple pics on the way back from Wyoming a few years ago but we mostly just hurried on through on our way home.

See the other thread regarding my truck & trailer idea... O hell...

From that thread:

Hey, Minnesota guys!

I have, in my shed, a brandy new 16-foot car-hauler trailer. In the garage sits an '09 Chevy extended-cab pickem-up truck, with an 8-foot bed. How many bikes could we load up and "pool" ride out to SD for a few days?

Y'all are lookin' at late September, I think? 29th or so? I should very likely be free.

We could probably load 6-8 bikes on the trailer and two in the truck bed - if I didn't load the camper. The guys who didn't fit in the truck (four is all that would be comfy) can pile in a car or van - van would be good for gear, gas, tools, tents, etc) for the drive out.

I'm ~2 hours west of the big city, so right on the way for you metro dudes or Wisconsin cheese-headed Packer fans.

Jon

'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated

Jon B. screwed with this post 07-27-2012 at 08:48 AM
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 820
This looks like a good idea!! Nice vide.
The ability to go slow can be a blessing or a curse, but I can guarantee you won't need overdrive on the single track. Sometimes in the rocky section where I would like to go slow its much easier to go fast and bounce around. There are some sections that trials ability would be helpful.

toadl screwed with this post 07-27-2012 at 03:06 PM
toadl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferv65 View Post
for ya'll that wanna check out the wide variety of the riding. check out this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZgfforhUYk&feature=plcp

its a video "TannerC" put together from a ride last year in september...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerc View Post
Made a new thread so we can keep valuable info and links together in one spot on the first post

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9#post19222849
Good job on taking this to a new thread. From the looks of that video, I would need a real skid plate and about an eight-teeth-bigger rear sprocket before tackling some of those trails. My highway gearing definitely wouldn't cut the mustard.
Lutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
ZIGGYND
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
This ride is sounding like a great time. I'm gonna try to get that weekend off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Good job on taking this to a new thread. From the looks of that video, I would need a real skid plate and about an eight-teeth-bigger rear sprocket before tackling some of those trails. My highway gearing definitely wouldn't cut the mustard.
Skid plate definitely needed. I went to the DDSR rally in June. Don't know how many times I heard rocks careen off of it. Not to mention the log crossings and rock shelves you might hit. That was my first true off road "experience" and I had a blast. I've een ya over at KF. I've got a red one too with a bb351. That thing tractored everywhere. Hardly used the brake.
I ran a 13 front and stock rear and it did better than I expected.
ZIGGYND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,214
Good info, thanks. I've been on again, off again with plans for a big bore since I got the bike - I've actually had and sold the parts a few times already. I've also got an entirely different (better) suspension just sitting in my garage. I just can't decide whether to go in depth with engine and suspension mods, or just save the time, money, and effort for a different bike. To its credit, the 250 has been doing well enough the way it is that it hasn't forced my hand either way...yet.
Lutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
ZIGGYND
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Know what you mean. Different bike would be nice. The thing doesn't do anything great, but it does everything well. Problem is by the time you stick everything into to make it descent...you've spent enough to get the next better thing. Speaking of which. If you ever decide to get rid of those spare suspension parts... I'll take em if there the right spring rate.
ZIGGYND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,473
This is SOOOOO 205!

You guys didn't see THIS THREAD ?

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
tannerc OP
Pig Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
This is SOOOOO 205!

Would you look at that!

We just kinda started this thread out of another from a previous ride after the talk of riding in western SD started to take over. Looks like there will be a few riders in the hills that weekend!
Old 07-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
This is SOOOOO 205!

Actually I saw that thread. This looks to be a different type of riders. Althought, TannerC, it might not hurt to get incontact with the person planning this ride. Mostly I'm thinking "Group Discount."
toadl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,271
And we also have DDSR planned for Sept... maybe we can combine them all into one big love fest.
Hank.SD is online now   Reply With Quote