ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #31
ZIGGYND
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I'm up for that. (Free camping)

ZIGGYND screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 10:12 PM Reason: oops
ZIGGYND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #32
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadl View Post
.I've got a trailer. It's 4x8. If you are creative 3 bike should fit with one in the center facing backwards. So getting bikes from Afton Shouldn't be a problem.

Jon B. When do you plan on leaving. I thought you mentioned Saturday before.

DDSR date doesn't work for me either.

I like the price of free camping.
I'm exceedingly flexible, as I have 5 weeks of unused vacation. I can go and return almost any time.

Tbickner - are you bringing multiple bikes? You could get the 250 to Todd's and then trailer it to my place. Or something. Even pooling from my place cuts 400+ miles off the trip for a truck or three.

Jon

'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #33
tbickner
tbickner

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
I'm exceedingly flexible, as I have 5 weeks of unused vacation. I can go and return almost any time.

Tbickner - are you bringing multiple bikes? You could get the 250 to Todd's and then trailer it to my place. Or something. Even pooling from my place cuts 400+ miles off the trip for a truck or three.

Jon
I'm only bringing the 250. I can carry that to Todd's. If anyone else is on the route and wants to be picked up we could arrange that too. After getting the bikes to your place we could use my van to haul 4 people, including me. If you want to take the bikes in one trailer that would be easier on my Dodge 318 c.i.

It sounds like some people have a limited budget of time. Where do we stand on the schedule. I am ok with going Thursday and returning Sunday. But, like you I'm very flexible. I've earned 52 weeks of vacation this year.

Tom
tbickner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #34
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
This statement makes me a little jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbickner View Post
... But, like you I'm very flexible. I've earned 52 weeks of vacation this year. ...
And this one makes me green with envy. Congratulations to you. I've got way too many years left to work...

Lutz screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 01:12 PM Reason: i mix up red and green...does that mean I'm color blind?
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #35
tannerc OP
Pig Pilot

Oddometer: 282
Thumb

Quote:
I I've earned 52 weeks of vacation this year.

Tom
tannerc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #36
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,358
I am in!

I've still got to figure out logistics, but at least I'm cleared to go.

Quote:
...It sounds like some people have a limited budget of time. Where do we stand on the schedule. I am ok with going Thursday and returning Sunday. ...
I like the head out Thursday, head home Sunday plan. I've got responsibilities on Monday morning.

I'm also part of the on-the-cheap crowd. Primitive camping (especially the free kind) would be fine with me, though I also would like to stay in the same camp as the rest of the group....we'll see what works, I guess.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #37
tannerc OP
Pig Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post

I like the head out Thursday, head home Sunday plan. I've got responsibilities on Monday morning.

I'm also part of the on-the-cheap crowd. Primitive camping (especially the free kind) would be fine with me, though I also would like to stay in the same camp as the rest of the group....we'll see what works, I guess.
+1

I too like the thursday- sunday/monday
Im off fri-mon

I will dig deeper into camping this weekend and come up with a list of what is available for campgrounds.
It is a national forest too, we can camp where ever we please
also, at the moment I would not plan on having any sort of camp fire/fire there is a complete and total burn ban and its going to take a lot of moisture to get it lifted.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #38
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post

I've still got to figure out logistics, but at least I'm cleared to go.

Nice.
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #39
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
If you north-woods guys want to pool rides, you can head south to my place...

We even have a pole shed, so your car/truck can be under cover, and have the dogs guard it. They don't pee on wheels, either!

Jon

'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #40
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
If you north-woods guys want to pool rides, you can head south to my place...

We even have a pole shed, so your car/truck can be under cover, and have the dogs guard it. They don't pee on wheels, either!

Jon
Sounds like a plan...I think a gathering of the Northwoodz riders is needed. Find out who's interested and who can haul bikes.
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #41
tannerc OP
Pig Pilot

Cool2 Camping Recon

Seeing how there are many people interested and planning on going on this adventure I decided to take one for the team and head out to the hills to scout camp grounds personally. I want to find the best and cheapest place for all of us to camp.
So I loaded up and headed out on Tuesday.

My transportation out to the hills.

Adventure out time.

Not to bad for not being on any long road runs in a year. Tail bone had enough by the time i made it though.

I made it out to Rapid and was surprised to see motorcycles everywhere I looked... Must be the peak of the riding season in the hills.
While I was out looking at a few different camp grounds I came across a parking lot off of Exit 30 that was full of bikes and flags, I was looking around and a fellow asked if I would like to ride a few

I figured I would try something with a little longer legs than the Mean Streak after my brisk run out to the hills @ 80 mph its spinning nearly 4k and I spent most of the time at or above that.

First up
The 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

So much good to say about this thing! It is amazing. Hands down the most nimble, smooooooth and secure/planted bike I rode all day. 55mph - 105mph doesnt matter it feels the same. No buzz, no vibes and once you get her up in around the 6k rmp area and twist the throttle it goes completely ape shit. The only down fall was the riding position they could have made a little less leg bend and a little less forward lean, it doesnt need much just a little and have read people getting there with bars and pegs making it a pretty upright neutral riding position.

I wanted something to compare the Connie with so I tried out the FJR1300

This was nice too! not as smooth and refined as the Kaw but nice. Made more seat of the pants torque a little lower in the rpm range and had a little better seating position. Seems like I would always bang my shins on the fairing when putting feet down to stop.

Then I decided to try and ADV tourer
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré

Nice bike.
I thought the engine was excessively clunky, I dunno might have been because I just got off of a couple smooth 4Cyl bikes maybe I should have rode the KLR before the Tenere. But it handled like a dream in the corners and didnt mind 85mph interstate speeds at all. I couldnt tell the difference between the trail and sport modes either way it way to high geared for anything but forest roads.

Next I took the long legged to the extreme
2012 Victory Cross Country

Uh... worst bike I rode all day. Engine 106ci DOG. It just didnt feel like the torque it should of had. The radio was crap, speakers sucked, floor boards were too big... It was well balanced for a big bike but didnt feel like a motorcycle running down the interstate, more like an over sized sloppy recliner. Blah

So i decided to try its competitor
2012 Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide FLHTCU

Believe it or not, nice bike! In stock configuration this one was probably setup the best for pounding the slab. Everything was nice about it, cruise, stereo, engine, seat, riding position.... And it felt like a motorcycle yet even with all the crap on it.

Next I had to try out the Kaw cruiser to compare with my Meanie
2012 Kaw Vaquero

They added a six speed and 100cc's I liked it. Very familiar nice engine, comfortable nice layout.

If a person would fix the Concours 14 riding position and add cruise I would pick it as the winner for my day of test/demo rides.. Very nice bike.

After the rides we wondered around the downtown shit show in Sturgis. Checked out a few vendors and bike displays.

ran on to this guy, I read a write up on ADV somewhere about, Pretty cool Harley

Saw a few neat bikes and watched a stunt rider show.

Saw these

Reminded me of this

Anyhow back to the camping....
I found the perfect spot!
Its right off the interstate between rapid and sturgis, 6 acres of casa de mi padre.
Its only like 3 miles of slab to the trails and its FREE !

Old 08-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #42
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 857
I don't know if you remember but that big wheel was at the Fish N' Fry.
The problem with the Concours is that its comfortable at 105 mph.
toadl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #43
tannerc OP
Pig Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadl View Post
The problem with the Concours is that its comfortable at 105 mph.
But if you need to go a long ways really quickly

I have been browsing Craigslist for "concours 14" lately for some odd reason
Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #44
bikergirl4ever
girlie girl

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerc View Post
But if you need to go a long ways really quickly

I have been browsing Craigslist for "concours 14" lately for some odd reason
If you are serious about one let us know. Lances nephew has one for sale. It is in excellent shape. I think it is about 3 years old. He bought a Goldwing so he is selling his concourse.
bikergirl4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #45
tannerc OP
Pig Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikergirl4ever View Post
If you are serious about one let us know. Lances nephew has one for sale. It is in excellent shape. I think it is about 3 years old. He bought a Goldwing so he is selling his concourse.

Kinda looking at the moment if I do anything it will be next spring. I've got this weird problem where a different bike grabs my eye every so often and I dont think im going to be happy until I win the lottery and can have one of each and every.
So many nice bikes now days.