ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #46
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,246
I'm going to see where I'm at come late September, but I hope to make it as well. Unfortunately my XR looks like this:

So I might not be able to do much trail riding but I may tag along with Lutz and C-Zulu if they drive out. Or maybe I'll just ride the big KTM over and hang out for a day or two. Heck, I'd be happy to help out if someone needs me to drive a sag wagon or something. I'll know more in the next few weeks...

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #47
tbickner
tbickner

Oddometer: 83
When and how: I'm up for Thursday thru Sunday. As I said earlier, I can carry 3 passengers and if needed one bike on my Dodge van (RV) or pull a trailer (not mine) if needed. I'm Ok with using Jon B.'s trailer. I'm ok with riding with someone else or using the bikes. I'm pretty ok with almost anything.

As to where: I used Tannerc's link and used the Park gps download maps to layout some tracks in my Delorme gps. Nemo seems to be the center with access to all of the single track that the B.H. Park service shows (shown in blue) with lots of linking 62" and 50" trails (shown in red). I like the idea of the Nemo Ranch or the more primative (free) camp, (I think it is Boxelder), a little ways up the trail is ok too. To those of you with knowledge of the area, where are you suggesting to ride?

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/...lusetrails.jpg
tbickner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #48
akfalla
eazy rider

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
So I might not be able to do much trail riding but I may tag along with Lutz and C-Zulu if they drive out. Or maybe I'll just ride the big KTM over and hang out for a day or two. Heck, I'd be happy to help out if someone needs me to drive a sag wagon or something. I'll know more in the next few weeks...
I'd be more than happy to hang out with ya and do a day or two of easier stuff you can take the KTM on if you decide to go that way. I get pretty exhausted on that single track... i don't wanna hold every one else up. I wipe out a lot..
Old 08-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #49
tannerc OP
Pig Pilot

Oddometer: 282
I got the FREE camping lined up, My dad has six acres for us to sprawl out in and the trails are 3 miles from his house. Should be good to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbickner View Post
When and how: I'm up for Thursday thru Sunday. As I said earlier, I can carry 3 passengers and if needed one bike on my Dodge van (RV) or pull a trailer (not mine) if needed. I'm Ok with using Jon B.'s trailer. I'm ok with riding with someone else or using the bikes. I'm pretty ok with almost anything.

As to where: I used Tannerc's link and used the Park gps download maps to layout some tracks in my Delorme gps. Nemo seems to be the center with access to all of the single track that the B.H. Park service shows (shown in blue) with lots of linking 62" and 50" trails (shown in red). I like the idea of the Nemo Ranch or the more primative (free) camp, (I think it is Boxelder), a little ways up the trail is ok too. To those of you with knowledge of the area, where are you suggesting to ride?

tannerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #50
Osnabrock
Ditch GPS

Oddometer: 236
Trail Suggestions

In my experience, the areas West of 385 on your map are some of the tamer trails. Near Pilot Knob and NW are pretty tame too with a few. Both have a few exceptions but generally, they are reasonably burned in. I like the single track near 385 and trail 6237/38/42 area. It's a good intro to the area in my opinion.
Some of the gnarlier stuff that I've come across is on the SE of your map. There's are a couple of hill climbs that held me up and really taxed the system. I think they had a "go around" that was a bit easier.
All in all, you can't go wrong in that area of The Hills. You can likely ride all the trails on your map in the time you're there.

Quote:
To those of you with knowledge of the area, where are you suggesting to ride?

Osnabrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #51
tannerc OP
Pig Pilot

Quote:
I'm going to see where I'm at come late September, but I hope to make it as well. Unfortunately my XR looks like this:

IF your not able to get the pig off the operating table in time, Bring the KTM! all sorts of cool roads for that bike too!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #52
tbickner
tbickner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerc View Post
I got the FREE camping lined up, My dad has six acres for us to sprawl out in and the trails are 3 miles from his house. Should be good to go there.
Got and address or description of the location of the camp?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #53
tannerc OP
Pig Pilot

Talking

Quote:
Got and address or description of the location of the camp?
Yeah, I will get a PM to you with directions, Plus all those that are "IN" I will send a PM with directions to the camp.

Also..
I have a few trail loops drawn out for the ride and im going to go out pre-run over labor day weekend if anyone is interested in a pre-ride?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #54
tbickner
tbickner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osnabrock View Post
In my experience, the areas West of 385 on your map are some of the tamer trails. Near Pilot Knob and NW are pretty tame too with a few. Both have a few exceptions but generally, they are reasonably burned in. I like the single track near 385 and trail 6237/38/42 area. It's a good intro to the area in my opinion.
Some of the gnarlier stuff that I've come across is on the SE of your map. There's are a couple of hill climbs that held me up and really taxed the system. I think they had a "go around" that was a bit easier.
All in all, you can't go wrong in that area of The Hills. You can likely ride all the trails on your map in the time you're there.

Thanks! That will help. I've been through the area on a bike a few times but I never guessed there'd be that much good riding in the Black Hills. GoogleEarth has profiles, I think I'll take a look for these suspect hills.

You said "you can't go wrong in that part of the Hills". This seems to be the biggest concentration but are there other large riding areas in the state?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #55
tannerc OP
Pig Pilot

Quote:
Thanks! That will help. I've been through the area on a bike a few times but I never guessed there'd be that much good riding in the Black Hills. GoogleEarth has profiles, I think I'll take a look for these suspect hills.

You said "you can't go wrong in that part of the Hills". This seems to be the biggest concentration but are there other large riding areas in the state?
The delorme topo gives a meager representation of the available riding in the area. It is showing Marked/dedicated trails, but... there are thousands of off shoots, forest roads, logging roads, ect in that area. When you order your trail permit they will send you a map of the hills with it, specify northern hills. this will give a better representation of other places to explore. As far as other places to ride in SD... far and few in between.. Talsma trails down by Yankton.. and other little here and there spots.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #56
tbickner
tbickner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerc View Post
The delorme topo gives a meager representation of the available riding in the area. It is showing Marked/dedicated trails, but... there are thousands of off shoots, forest roads, logging roads, ect in that area. When you order your trail permit they will send you a map of the hills with it, specify northern hills. this will give a better representation of other places to explore. As far as other places to ride in SD... far and few in between.. Talsma trails down by Yankton.. and other little here and there spots.
Yes, the file I downloaded had 3158 tracks on it and including those roads you mention. It was way overwhelming to figure out and load to the gps. What you see on Delorme is 385 tracks I took from that file. Only the 62" and 50" trails (I assume are ATV) and motorcycle show up. Motorcycle accounts for only 22 of those.

On the camp, it's nice to have the freedom of unregulated space but, it's also nice to have the shower and/or at least a toilet at a pay-for park. ............just a thought.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #57
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:

Nothing a couple marathon reassembly sessions won't fix. The big question is...Do you have a headlight bulb?

If it makes you feel better, my bike is bound to end up in similar condition shortly before this trip...I've got lots of maintenance to do...again.

If you do have to settle on your big KTM...well, that's not such a bad problem to have. One way or another, I do hope you'll be coming along.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #58
Francis11
Gbusk

Oddometer: 55
I did not know this thread existed. I now must find a away to circumvent the in-law gathering on Sept 30, that wants to doom my So Dak trip plans.
Francis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #59
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 857
When I was in the Black Hills I rode for 3 days and didn't feel like I saw enough or did enough riding.

So when we say Leaving Thursday do we mean Thursday late Afternoon (after work) or Thursday Morning. I'm Kind of twisting some arms to get Friday Off. I might have to break some arms to get Thursday off, but then I'd be out of a job. Getting Monday off is no Problem. I know Lutz has to be back Monday, but are Lutz C-zulu, and Jwalters planning on driving seperate? I'm just letting everyone know where I'm at, don't expect everyone to change plans just for me. I'll I have left is two days of vacation this year to use on myself, The rest if for Walt Disney World Again, so if it doesn't work with my schedule I'll try and take some days off and go riding up in Akeley this fall with Lance and Sherri and _______.
toadl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #60
tbickner
tbickner

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadl View Post
When I was in the Black Hills I rode for 3 days and didn't feel like I saw enough or did enough riding.

So when we say Leaving Thursday do we mean Thursday late Afternoon (after work) or Thursday Morning. I'm Kind of twisting some arms to get Friday Off. I might have to break some arms to get Thursday off, but then I'd be out of a job. Getting Monday off is no Problem. I know Lutz has to be back Monday, but are Lutz C-zulu, and Jwalters planning on driving seperate? I'm just letting everyone know where I'm at, don't expect everyone to change plans just for me. I'll I have left is two days of vacation this year to use on myself, The rest if for Walt Disney World Again, so if it doesn't work with my schedule I'll try and take some days off and go riding up in Akeley this fall with Lance and Sherri and _______.
Actually, we wouldn't get any riding done if we left Thursday morning anyway. If I picked you up after work we'd be there for an early groggy Friday ride. I could come back Monday or whatever.

Would anyone else be able to ride with us?????????????