Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
willemdamen OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Ferry Panama to Colombia

CHICAGO TO BUENOS AIRES;

Yes; I am a little early as we are not leaving till Oct. Lots of prep work to be done. Hoping to collect as many $$$ as I can
for the Alzheimer Association. We will be taking the usual route including Belize to Panama where we are scheduled to hop aboard the STAHLRATTE on Dec 8th to Cartagena in Colombia. As far as I know the Greek ferry that was supposed to start her maiden voyage at the end of May from Panama to Cartagena is still not operating. Anybody know differently? The price difference is about $ 600.00.

willemdamen screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 11:44 PM Reason: type error
willemdamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
It goes to Columbia? That's a long ways. You should take a ferry to Colombia.

You should also look for the big thread about the ferry.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,658
Here we go again? Another somebody taking a trip in the name of a good cause when they could either "just go" or stay home and raise more money? Really, if this was a celebrity/entertainer type but regular folks riding a bike on a self adventure doesn't jazz me up to give & comes across as a self you know what thing . This forum has become a collection point for what I'll call "biker dogooders" Simply go on your trip,have a blast, do a ride report,repeat. End of rant.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
willemdamen OP
Adventurer

Ferry from panama to Colombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Here we go again? Another somebody taking a trip in the name of a good cause when they could either "just go" or stay home and raise more money? Really, if this was a celebrity/entertainer type but regular folks riding a bike on a self adventure doesn't jazz me up to give & comes across as a self you know what thing . This forum has become a collection point for what I'll call "biker dogooders" Simply go on your trip,have a blast, do a ride report,repeat. End of rant.
I am asking if anyone knows about the ferry. Comments from "Studly Adventurer" regarding banausic fundraising are not addressing my question and rather pointless.

willemdamen screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 07:22 AM
willemdamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Ferry Panama to Columbia ?

Ooops. I thouught it was totally something else

and like an auto crash, I just had to look as I went by..
Old 07-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Catours
Guatemala Tourer

Oddometer: 153
hey Willemdamen,

I know its still a ways off but I'll throw the invite out now. If you make it to Antigua (Guatemala), come by and see us at Moto Cafe and share some stories with fellow motorcyclists, join us for a ride, or just have a beer!

What will you be riding?

Always great to meet ADV'rs.

Moto Cafe
6a Calle Oriente #14
Antigua, Guatemala
1433'19.50"N
9043'52.43"W

Safe travels!

Chris
Marketing Guide, CATours
info@catours.co.uk
CATours Website
CATours Facebook
Our TripAdvisor page
Our Twitter page
Catours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
ontheborder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
When do we see a post with an audit for the fundraiser? 7% going to charity is considered good I believe.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by willemdamen View Post
I am asking if anyone knows about the ferry. Comments from "Studly Adventurer" regarding banausic fundraising are not addressing my question and rather pointless.
We're commenting on someone who doesn't ever post here and then asks redundant information, and feels the need to justify their riding by hiding behind a fundraiser. Work a job, donate 20% to charity, then go ride. That'll cut down on dozens or hundreds of pleas for money.

It is a brilliant plan, though, because you can hide behind the "I'm saving people!" guilt trip whenever someone criticizes you. Well played.

tedder screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 03:33 PM
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,658
Quote:
At 68, I'm not particularly "studly" these days(maybe in my mind's eye?) but stand by my having inserted my IMO comments r.e. your fund raising notion, which was in fact part of your posting. I hope you gain the info you need about the ferry & have a fun & safe trip.
My wife & I have a few choice charities,Wounded Warriors is or fave & we both donate & travel too. I really don't see the connection unless as I said, you are a celeb & that helps to pull in the $ moola $. Perhaps you do see yourselves as celebs? I will have to admit that I had to look up "banaustic fundraising", you got me on that one & I went to school a lot.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
Quikegeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
CHICAGO TO BUENOS AIRES;

Yes; I am a little early as we are not leaving till Oct. Lots of prep work to be done. Hoping to collect as many $$$ as I can
for the Alzheimer Association. We will be taking the usual route including Belize to Panama where we are scheduled to hop aboard the STAHLRATTE on Dec 8th to Cartagena in Colombia. As far as I know the Greek ferry that was supposed to start her maiden voyage at the end of May from Panama to Cartagena is still not operating. Anybody know differently? The price difference is about $ 600.00.
Hi Willemdamen,

As you said, the ferry is still not operating.. and I think based on what I been reading, is not going to happen this year. I am going to Chile next Spring, I'll use Cirag to send my bike from Panama to Bogota. You can always try to go by boat, but It depend on your timing.

I wish you a good trip. Enjoy.

Pura vida.

Quikegeo screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 06:37 PM
Quikegeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Stahlratte
Adventurer

Quote:
CHICAGO TO BUENOS AIRES;

The ferry is NOT HAPPENING.
And what ever you might hear about problems transporting motorcycles from and to Cartagena: We can still do it!
Stahlratte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,383
The best/cheapest way to cross the Darien is to share a container. Containers go all the time, one sailing a week with Evergreen from Colon (Panama) to Cartagena (Columbia). Contact teakalmbach@hotmail.com of Evergreen.

Our container just arrived today. We're flying from Panama to Cartagena tomorrow....

$350 per bike, $344 for the one-way flight.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #13
Honduras
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Let me know if you had to pay anything more to get her out in Carthagena,
Might reconsider and do the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi View Post
The best/cheapest way to cross the Darien is to share a container. Containers go all the time, one sailing a week with Evergreen from Colon (Panama) to Cartagena (Columbia). Contact teakalmbach@hotmail.com of Evergreen.

Our container just arrived today. We're flying from Panama to Cartagena tomorrow....

Honduras C.A.
http://utilamoto.blogspot.com/
Honduras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #14
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honduras View Post
Let me know if you had to pay anything more to get her out in Carthagena,
Might reconsider and do the same!
Here is a write-up with costs as to what you need to do/pay:
http://liferemotely.com/trip-shenani...olombia-part-1

It reads a lot worse than it is. Key to success is to make sure your insurance and vehicle paperwork is completed correctly when entering Panama. Check your VIN and engine numbers, not twice, but three times....
We paid $325 per bike plus $75 fee to Tea. Estimate another $300 divided by 4 vehciles to clear the container. Flying is $344 one way with Copa. Flight prices are pretty much fixed/rigged here.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi View Post

Well the best is a subjective thing but the Stahlratte is still cheaper than the container method.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote