Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #31
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi View Post
Ok, time for some reality.....So bike and rider across the gap for $882.....The boats are around $800-900 per bike, extra for the rider. So no matter how you turn it, a shared 40 ft container is the cheapest way across.....I don't see how we could have done it cheaper/safer/faster.

Not sure where you're hearing these boat prices, but the Stahlratte website lists a price of US$900 for bike and rider. That includes several days lodging, movies, eating, snorkling, and a certain amount of catering to degenerate appetites.

Your price was US$18 cheaper, but didn't include the bed, food, movies or degeneracy. Some choice.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, and I'm not touting. It's just that I'm now even more amazed at the expense of a shared container relative to the other options.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #32
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
The question was not directed at you , mind your own business.

I'm quite familiar with Gaston's business and the location of the various
shipping threads.

Others might also be interested in the same info.

Max
It is my business. We've had a lot of issues in the past wrt spam in this forum and the above is our attempt to alleviate the problem. And since you're familiar with the threads I won't have to tell you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChile View Post
Maxvert,

Tommorrow I,ll give you an analisis about RoRo versus other options. I am not going to discuss costs here but you,ll have ithe same answers with overal cost on my vendor thread.
Gestapo will be happy then.
Thanks for your comment.

Gaston here at 11:38 pm
Gaston, as we've discussed in the past, please use your vendor thread for this discussion.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #33
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Quote:
Ok, time for some reality...
We just cleared the container today. 2 cars, 2 bikes.
The two bikes (one was mine), paid $700 to the container "owners" for 1/3rd. So we each paid 1/6th. We also paid $75 brokerage/fee in Panama. That was it. So $425 to load.
On the unloading side, we paid $113 (1/6th), including 10 cab riders with the 4 drivers between the town and port (the whole exercise took 2 days). So our landed cost for each bike was $538 per bike. We spent $344 each to fly one way from Panama City to Cartagena. So bike and rider across the gap for $882. Our RORO quote was $665, ex port fees (and then we had to remove ALL the luggage... try flying with that) and then we'd still have to fly for $344.
The boats are around $800-900 per bike, extra for the rider. So no matter how you turn it, a shared 40 ft container is the cheapest way across.

The fastest is with Girag (fly the bike) for around $990 per bike sans rider.

I don't see how we could have done it cheaper/safer/faster.
You could've done it cheaper/as safe or safer with the Stahlratte. I paid $780 for me AND the bike. That covers 4 nights of lodging and food as well. And even with the Stahlratte's price increase you appear to have paid more (all in). But I agree, if expedience is your goal, then flying or container is the way to go.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Old 08-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #34
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
It is my business. We've had a lot of issues in the past wrt spam in this forum and the above is our attempt to alleviate the problem. And since you're familiar with the threads I won't have to tell you again.

Gaston, as we've discussed in the past, please use your vendor thread for this discussion.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #35
Aussie Gringo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I came from Cartagena to Panama with the Independence about 8 days ago. Still no news about the ferry. According to what we were told by the locals in Cartagena, the ferry is still in Greece waiting for all the necessary approvals to operate. Doubt it will be running by October.

Aussie Gringo screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 02:50 PM Reason: Spelling mistake
Aussie Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #36
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,396
MG,

This why I won't take the sailboats across....

No more bikes from Colombia to Panama
Guys,

I may be the very last person to ever take a motorcycle on the sail boats which run between Cartagena and Panama
( via the San Blas Islands).

We booked ourselves and the bike on the Independence two weeks ago. All was good. Three days before our departure we tried to start the custom process for the bike. What a **** around It turned out to be! Apparently the port authorities and customs are in a blame game ever since the Fritz the Cat sank with about 16 passengers on board ( all of who are now safe) and one motorcycle ( which didn't make it unfortunately).

Apparently the motorcycle onboard did not properly clear customs before departing Cartagena and the port authorities say that the vessel carry the bike was no designed to carry cargo, hence may have contributed to the sinking of the vessel.

Long story short, we have spend the past three days trying to get permission to leave on the independence with the bike and until 4.00pm today (Friday) were told that there was no way that this would happen. After a lot of persistence, sop stories, and some bullshit thrown in, we finally got the customs official to stamp the form. However, her last words were that we would be the last people to ever transport a motorcycle via this method and that all future motorcycles would either have to be transported via a shipping container or via air freight.

We were also told that the new transport ferry which was supposed to be up and running in May, won't happen and neither customs not the port authority in Cartagena will approve it.

Its basically a big **** up at the moment!

Max

Link: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...crossing-65503
Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #37
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,387
I bet you could still get a sailboat as far as Sapzurro or Capurgana and then get a lancha into Turbo if you're hell bent on not shipping or flying.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #38
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I bet you could still get a sailboat as far as Sapzurro or Capurgana and then get a lancha into Turbo if you're hell bent on not shipping or flying.
Easily, the sailboats aren't stopping yet.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #39
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Quote:
MG,

Fair enough but that's a far cry from saying containers are the cheapest way to go which in the case of the Stahlratte they're not. And last I heard the Stahlratte is still taking bikes in to Colombia. They post here with some regularity so it'd be nice to hear if that has changed.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Old 08-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #40
lennyledoux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
What about Ecuador?

I retired to Cuenca, Ecuador earlier this year. After forty plus years of riding in the states I was jonesing for a bike. They are expensive down here and the selection more limited than in the states. However, since what I want to do is see the mountains I have purchased a Yamaha YTZ250. Short on horsepower and frills but hopefully up to the task. With regards to the question of shipping across the gap, why go to the East side instead of the West side if you are heading for Chile? I have seen numerous articles of people shipping from Panama to Manta, Ecuador.
lennyledoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #41
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyledoux View Post
I retired to Cuenca, Ecuador earlier this year. After forty plus years of riding in the states I was jonesing for a bike. They are expensive down here and the selection more limited than in the states. However, since what I want to do is see the mountains I have purchased a Yamaha YTZ250. Short on horsepower and frills but hopefully up to the task. With regards to the question of shipping across the gap, why go to the East side instead of the West side if you are heading for Chile? I have seen numerous articles of people shipping from Panama to Manta, Ecuador.
Mainly becuase you miss out on the crown jewel of South America--Colombia! Pure heaven on a moto, can't be skipped Take the East down to Buenaventura, much cheaper but a lot more hassel to make work compared to the sailboats on the Caribbean.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #42
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Mainly becuase you miss out on the crown jewel of South America--Colombia! Pure heaven on a moto, can't be skipped Take the East down to Buenaventura, much cheaper but a lot more hassel to make work compared to the sailboats on the Caribbean.
Agree about Colomba. Right here now and in Tunja, on the way to El Cocuy. The roads here are amazing. Just spent 4 days in Barichara. What a place ... write-up here
More pics
Old 09-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #43
Stahlratte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
MG,

No more bikes from Colombia to Panama
Guys,

I may be the very last person to ever take a motorcycle on the sail boats which run between Cartagena and Panama
( via the San Blas Islands).

We booked ourselves and the bike on the Independence two weeks ago. All was good. Three days before our departure we tried to start the custom process for the bike. What a **** around It turned out to be! Apparently the port authorities and customs are in a blame game ever since the Fritz the Cat sank with about 16 passengers on board ( all of who are now safe) and one motorcycle ( which didn't make it unfortunately).

Apparently the motorcycle onboard did not properly clear customs before departing Cartagena and the port authorities say that the vessel carry the bike was no designed to carry cargo, hence may have contributed to the sinking of the vessel.

Long story short, we have spend the past three days trying to get permission to leave on the independence with the bike and until 4.00pm today (Friday) were told that there was no way that this would happen. After a lot of persistence, sop stories, and some bullshit thrown in, we finally got the customs official to stamp the form. However, her last words were that we would be the last people to ever transport a motorcycle via this method and that all future motorcycles would either have to be transported via a shipping container or via air freight.

We were also told that the new transport ferry which was supposed to be up and running in May, won't happen and neither customs not the port authority in Cartagena will approve it.

Its basically a big **** up at the moment!

Max

Link: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...crossing-65503
So far so good for Independence and Fritz the Cat... STAHLRATTE is still doing it !!!
We just unloaded 4 bikes in San Blas on the 27th of August coming from Cartagena...
And there will be NO ferry.
Stahlratte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 AM   #44
willemdamen OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Stahlratte

We are booked on the Stahlratte for Dec 8 voyage and are now underway sleeping under 1oC skies tonight in Taos New Mexico. Beautiful ride through the prairies and getting better every day. Need to replace my chain in Santa Fe tomorrow.
Our blog: www.motorcycleexplorers.posterous.com
willemdamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #45
Stahlratte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Ok, time for some reality...
We just cleared the container today. 2 cars, 2 bikes.
The two bikes (one was mine), paid $700 to the container "owners" for 1/3rd. So we each paid 1/6th. We also paid $75 brokerage/fee in Panama. That was it. So $425 to load.
On the unloading side, we paid $113 (1/6th), including 10 cab riders with the 4 drivers between the town and port (the whole exercise took 2 days). So our landed cost for each bike was $538 per bike. We spent $344 each to fly one way from Panama City to Cartagena. So bike and rider across the gap for $882. Our RORO quote was $665, ex port fees (and then we had to remove ALL the luggage... try flying with that) and then we'd still have to fly for $344.
The boats are around $800-900 per bike, extra for the rider. So no matter how you turn it, a shared 40 ft container is the cheapest way across.

The fastest is with Girag (fly the bike) for around $990 per bike sans rider.

I don't see how we could have done it cheaper/safer/faster.
I'm a little late to reply to that, but our boat is $980 for bike AND rider.
Including 3 night 4 day cruise, food, drinks (not alcohol and softdrinks;) and imigration works...
Stahlratte is offline   Reply With Quote