User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
Ray R OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Joining the airhead owner ranks

With all the great information available here and on other sites, and my wife urging me to get a project, I took the plunge in a big way and am joining the airhead family.

One of the first "real" motorcycles I ever owned was a '78 R100S. It was beautiful, and served me well. Being in my 20s at the time, I started to look for something a bit more sporty, and moved on.

Now 30 years later, I found myself still missing that bike. It was so simple, so cool, such a comfortable ride. I've been searching for something recently to take it's place. I was ...this... close to a '95 gspd, but a good and trusted friend who owned one convinced me that model would never stick. He said while they're reliable as stone, they lacked the soul of the earlier models. At the same time, I'd also been looking for the elusive R90S or '77 R100S or RS, the most powerful airhead ever made.

By pure chance I came across a '75 Orange R90S in the Chicago area. And I happened to have plans to travel there on business in the near future, so I made contact with the owner, and planned to view his bike. He had found this bike a number of years ago, in need of care and restoration. And he did it right. Everything is new or rebuilt. It's simply gorgeous. He spent three years of sweat and love to get it back to showroom condition. He also happened to have in his garage a '77 R100RS. He's got that bike in the middle of a similar restoration. The mechanicals are all done. All that's left is the body work and cosmetics. Oh geeze. Long story short, we began talking package deal, agreed on a price, and yesterday I made the call to him to confirm their purchase. So I have a great example of a R90s, and a project to work on with the R100RS coming soon.

I know.....this is just a story without pics. I'll post those once the bikes arrive safe and sound at their new home.

I'm happy and proud to rejoin the ranks of airhead owners. It feels really comfortable, like going back home after being gone for a long time. I look forward to posting progress and asking more questions as I get to know these new to me bikes, and restoring the R100RS to it's prior glory.