Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Latin America

Hi everybody!

I have generall question about latin America. No offense to the latin American people, is there any country that is safe to drive in? I mean more for personal security. I would like to in the future to travel there.

Regards,

Iranian
Iranian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
All of them are safe, except perhaps crossing the capital city or nearby secondary cities in Venezuela. Nothing against tourism in Venezuela but the last few years there is a lot of robbery to motorcyclist and assaults.
As for the rest of the country, I think is ok.

US SHIPPING Now open: APRIL 2014 Container SANTIAGO CHILE to LOS ANGELES
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 778
+1

If you go looking for trouble, it's not hard to fine. However, most every place is safe if you travel smart. I prefer crossing borders early in the morning and making good distance away from them. Most border towns are industry/trading hubs and not very much like the rest of the country.

Dr. Benny screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 08:05 AM
Dr. Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Put aside your worries and stop paying too much attention to the USA based news stories. I imagine Iran ,which I presume you know intimately and where I have never been, to be no more or less dangerous than Latin America, but you know what the US media are saying about that country.
Benny is right about the border cities being largely dedicated to industry and trade for the NAFTA market up north , and they are waiting rooms for the passing migrants hoping to get into the US.And of course the border is a focal point for the drug trade scum bags relying on all the market potential of the "poor suffering innocent " pushers and users up north This subset of the population does bring a certain kind of problem , but those do not affect you if you mind your own business.
However border towns do have their interesting features and are indeed truly Mexico and can be worthy of a bit of exploration and even safe overnights.They can get you educated on the cultural differences imposed by the arbitray border .Take a deep breath, relax and look around ,you will be pleasantly surprised.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 520
I met nothing but the nicest people in all of the countries that I have ridden through in Mexico and Central and South America. Never felt unsafe or threatened at any time. Now here in certain neighborhoods in Chicago, it's a different story.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
bike-nicaragua
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I travelled more than 5 years through Latin America. And I never had any problems. But it's true there are countries which are more dangerous than other countries.

Now we settled down in Nicaragua. Here it's pretty safe. But the northern neighbor countries have pretty safety problems. That's real.

The risks are mostly in bigger cities and there in special districts.

Use your head and ask the locals - that helps a lot. And of course - try to speak some spanish.

saludos Jürgen
bike-nicaragua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 354
Rode for a year from Colorado to Costa Rica and back with ZERO issues! Went in at Juarez, Mx hit some of the larger cities also including MX City, Guatemala City, San Salvador, and Managau. Just keep your wits about you and you should be fine. Safe travels!
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote