Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
HD200 or a big ruckus?

What is your experience between these two for long term reliability? thanks
Old 08-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
I think they're both reliable. But beyond that, comparing these two seems like apples and oranges to me.

A well built scooter that looks..... well, like a scooter. And will depreciate. Versus a Honda BR that doesn't look like a typical scooter and has already depreciated - and some say will only appreciate in value.

Your initial outlay will be about equal. Resale in a couple of years? Who knows?

Fun factor? That's up to you.

BTW, I have the BR.
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBike View Post
I think they're both reliable. But beyond that, comparing these two seems like apples and oranges to me.

A well built scooter that looks..... well, like a scooter. And will depreciate. Versus a Honda BR that doesn't look like a typical scooter and has already depreciated - and some say will only appreciate in value.

Your initial outlay will be about equal. Resale in a couple of years? Who knows?

Fun factor? That's up to you.

BTW, I have the BR.
Good post, and I agree. The newest BR is 8 years old. SYM has been selling the HD200 in the US with only minor changes since around the last year of the Big Ruckus. The SYM is a plastic covered scooter and the BR is mostly metal tubing.

Not sure what qualifies as 'long term', but I would have to give the nod to the Ruckus since survivors are already approaching a decade old. I also suspect that with support groups the BR is likely to be a classic for years.

The SYM is good value, quality transportation that performs like a larger scooter. Given the choice of which to live with as a daily commuter I would go with the HD (and have). Twenty years from now the BR will still be getting admiring glances and probably running fine long after my SYM has been tossed on a junk heap. I expect, however, to get many enjoyable miles out of it in the meantime.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Send me the Big Ruckus and keep the HD200 for yourself.

badda bing, badda boom... everyone's happy.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,436
Will the hd200 isn't going to worth what you paid for 2 years down the road but with care you may end up with the same cash as you paid for it. Engines just mostly the same as reflex .
Old 08-06-2014, 02:25 AM   #6
351 power OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
yeah good perspective. the ruckus got sold before I could drive the 4 hrs to look at it
Old 08-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #7
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

You have to be quick with a BR. I closed on mine the day the Craigslist ad was posted (dealer). When I went back a week later for the paperwork, they had had so many calls about it, they offered to buy it back. I could have made a quick $500.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:46 AM   #8
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
You have to be quick with a BR. I closed on mine the day the Craigslist ad was posted (dealer). When I went back a week later for the paperwork, they had had so many calls about it, they offered to buy it back. I could have made a quick $500.
and that means the dealer figured to get at least another grand for it.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351 power View Post
yeah good perspective. the ruckus got sold before I could drive the 4 hrs to look at it
Yah you aren't going to find many of them in that part of canada. I ve seen about 15 or so for sale in 4 years in canada. There is more then that in canada but I wonder how many out of 2500 there is here? 500 ? 100? No one know because honda will not tell anyone that type of ship. If you want to go to quebec there 2 for sale but one is 20 K and there other is 30 K. Then again they are only 2500.00

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-scooters-mini...ationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-scooters-mini...ationFlag=true

an old ch250 where you are : http://www.kijiji.ca/v-scooters-pock...ationFlag=true

2013 pcx : http://www.kijiji.ca/v-scooters-pock...ationFlag=true

At the slow end but dam tought 82 passport : http://www.kijiji.ca/v-scooters-pock...ationFlag=true
Old 08-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC1680 View Post
and that means the dealer figured to get at least another grand for it.

Be Big,
AMAC
Yes, that's exactly what he told me. He had a buyer in Miami offering to buy it sight unseen. The internet sales guy had gone home early or there would have been a bidding war.

Since you're a part-time local AMAC, it was Purcells on Blanding. When I bought it, I paid a service tech (a 12 pack) to deliver it to my home that night - just to insure it was in my possession. When I went back the following week, I gave the Sales Mgr. another $300 for a 2 yr. extended warranty just to take some of the sting out of the deal (pure profit for them).

MiniBike screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 08:13 PM
Old 08-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what he told me. He had a buyer in Miami offering to buy it sight unseen. The internet sales guy had gone home early or there would have been a bidding war.

Since you're a part-time local AMAC, it was Purcells on Blanding. When I bought it, I paid a service tech (a 12 pack) to deliver it to my home that night - just to insure it was in my possession. When I went back the following week, I gave the Sales Mgr. another $300 for a 2 yr. extended warranty just to take some of the sting out of the deal (pure profit for them).
I'm a full time local in Jax part time Yankee.....
Had I known there was one in town for sale it would have been a three way bidding war. I have one scoot too many but for a rare classic I'll make room.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote