Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #91
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
I'm in the Dalles, Oregon, in the Columbia River Gorge. Been an eventful several days. Thursday I went up 99 to 36 and ran 36 over to the coast. For those who don't know, 36 is sorta famous in northern California...it's 140 miles of nonstop twisties from Red Bluff to Fortuna up over the Trinity Alps. About halfway over, I found that I needed to rearrange the load, as I had too much weight on the back of the bike and not centralized and it was screwing up the handling a bit.

Spent the night in Fortuna after 277 miles.

Friday, I continued up 101 from Fortuna to 199 over to Grants Pass, then down to Medford and spent the night there.

Today, I left Medford at about 0730 and went up to Crater Lake...lots of particulate haze in the air from all the forest fires we have burning here on the west coast...not nice. Crater Lake was beautiful. Ran over to 97 and took it through central Oregon to Bend and Madras, then continued 97 to 197 up to the Dalles. This was a 300+ mile day...very long. The last 90 miles was in ranch country with nothing around for miles. For about 5 miles or so, the road had been recently resurface and had much loose gravel on it, with hairpin, slow speed turns down into the Deschutes River canyon...I took that one very slow indeed.

The good news is that the SWing is running well, with plenty of passing power...it's very apparent to me that the CVT belt and rollers needed changing badly. Fuel mileage has increased significantly...lowest has been 47 mpg and highest about 55, with widely varying speeds and roads. Practical range on a tank is 150 miles, with a margin of safety of probably 30 miles or so. The bike is lugging around a lot of stuff, including me, my gear, my luggage, a Givi top box and other stuff, and is doing well. I have a BeadRider on the seat and it definitely helps with monkey butt, but eventually, the pain starts and I have to get off the bike for awhile.

I'm taking an off day tomorrow here in the Dalles to relax and recover and do my laundry. I'll post photos when I get home...
Old 08-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #92
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I know there are so few Tmax's out there but so many people make comments about the Tmax, anybody can figure out most of those people that comment about the Tmax have never been on one.

I am upset that Yamaha discontinued the Tmax in the U.S. market, I would love to trade in my current Tmax for a new 2013 Tmax 530 model.
Yamaha is making a big mistake based on how popular scooters are now and dealers i have talked too agree with me. Dealer told me Yamaha is scared cause when they brought the Tmax to the U.S. market in 2009 they couldn't give them away, they didn't sell and Yamaha is afraid to make the same mistake again.
too bad,,,, you guys are missing a lot by not being able to buy one.
Yamaha needs a factory outlet store where you can order and buy one direct from the factory bypassing the dealer.

Tacoma screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 03:12 AM
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #93
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I know there are so few Tmax's out there but so many people make comments about the Tmax, anybody can figure out most of those people that comment about the Tmax have never been on one.

I am upset that Yamaha discontinued the Tmax in the U.S. market, I would love to trade in my current Tmax for a new 2013 Tmax 530 model.
Yamaha is making a big mistake based on how popular scooters are now and dealers i have talked too agree with me. Dealer told me Yamaha is scared cause when they brought the Tmax to the U.S. market in 2009 they couldn't give them away, they didn't sell and Yamaha is afraid to make the same mistake again.
too bad,,,, you guys are missing a lot by not being able to buy one.
Yamaha needs a factory outlet store where you can order and buy one direct from the factory bypassing the dealer.

I'm sure Yamaha made that decision just to piss you off..

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #94
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post

Some times i think that no one takes any pride in doing a job well & complete anymore.
There are good mechanics out there. You just have to find them.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #95
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Yes there are good one's around, it's the pain and aggravation of finding them , that's the difficulty.
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #96
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Howdy, all. Had the BV in for its first service...pretty straightforward, no issues except for one...I had noticed that the speedo was WAY off 10+ mph or more above 40 mph...the dealer verified the problem and has ordered a new speedometer for me...will be about 2 weeks or so, but covered under warranty. Other than that, bike was in good shape, service went well, new turn signal put on...good to go.

Over the last few days, I've ridden the BV by choice over the SWing. True, it does not have the same power, but the handling really is almost motorcycle-like, very stable and solid and the engine really does not seem like it's working hard, even on the freeway. It's really a blast to ride. The SWing can certainly carry more and is probably better for touring, but the BV is no slouch.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #97
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Since I prefer the BV/Scarabeo over the Tmax I'm glad to hear your comments. The Tmax has too high a step through for me plus I don't like the seating position once on it but have found both the BV & the Scarabeo very good for touring with 8,700 miles between the two of them since March of this year and I'm about to head out for another 2,000 or so next weekend up to Oklahoma over the Talimina Scenic Byway to Arkansas, up the Ozarks to Branson where I'll turn west and pick up Route 66 through Kansas back into Oklahoma then return to Houston. Along the way I'll meet up with a friend from Kansas on his Vespa GTS who I think is gpomg tp ride the Talimina through Route 66 portions with me. It will be his second or third 1,500+ Vespa trip.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #98
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

What speeds do you maintain on these long trips ?

I am new to the Maxi scene and have about 1300 miles on my Burgman Exec at the moment.

I find i am riding at 70 -80 mph a lot and the motor is spinning between 4k and 5k rpm for extended periods on time.
Wonder if this will have any detrimental effects over the long term.

Thanks, Doug
Old 09-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #99
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:

I am new to the Maxi scene and have about 1300 miles on my Burgman Exec at the moment.

I find i am riding at 70 -80 mph a lot and the motor is spinning between 4k and 5k rpm for extended periods on time.

Thanks, Doug
Fitting some Dr Pulley sliders (about 10% lighter then the stock weights)
will bring the cruising revs down at those speeds (and get them up higher
for a lot better acceleration at WOT under 65mph).

That's what I did on my 300cc scoot..
Made it comfortable at 75-80mph (6500-7000 revs) while I had
those revs at 70-75 before.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #100
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

A Burgman Exec shouldn't have any problems with those speeds day in day out for 10s of thousands of miles as long as you do the scheduled maintenance. Just ask the folks at BurgmanUSA.com
Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #101
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

I am if anything a bit anal retentive when it comes to maintenance.
So i follow the mfgr recommendations pretty closely .

As for modifications , well I'm over that phase in my life.
Unless something is blatantly wrong I figure the engineers who design this stuff are for the most part smarter than me. If something does fail or break I try and upgrade if it makes sense.

I just want to ride a few more years as trouble free as possible.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #102
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

The mods I make on my scoots are either comfort related - windscreen, custom seat, top case or occasionall cosmetic - pinstriping (preferably reflective) or perhaps a bit of bling. I've got an upgraded shock on the Vespa but stock is fine on the Scarabeo/BVs. As for performance mods, I want maximum reliablity so I tend to stay stock so I understand where you are coming from on that one.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #103
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes I am all about comfort and do make those type of changes.
bling ? not so much.

I will be spending some $$ on the suspension for the Burgman. The stock stuff is terrible IMHO.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #104
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

FWIW, the only scooter that has "bling" on it is the Vespa GTS. Somehow it calls out for "shiny bits" but they are functional shiney bits like the chrome front rack and trim that covers up the holes after one of the stock reflectors got knocked off (twice so screw it, replaced them with a strip of chrome). Though I did have some reflective pinstripping on the Burgman - I like the kind that lights up at night for better visibility so I'm not sure that acounts as bling. Right now I've got black on black high reflective ultra brite on all of my topcases just to improve the visibiity at night.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #105
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

do you know of anyone who makes a reflective black on black kit for the burgman ?