User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
Airtire OP
Major Spammer //////

Oddometer: 104
1200 GS XL Ultra Comfort Cee Baileys Screen

Here is the first prototype of CEE BAILEYS new 1200 GS ultra-comfort screen. Shown with the protective latex coating.

Features include:

One Piece
Fully 8"-10" adjustable rake
Naca Vent
Thick 1/4" Aircraft Grade Acrylic
Minimal Unsightly Hardware
Price around $375 with hardware

We are waiting on the hardware. It will be ready in mid/late August.

It will have the adjustment features of our 1150 Ultra Comfort Jumbo shield

Cee Baileys 1150 GS Jumbo

We need to know from 1200 GS owners about lower coverage and if it is needed way below the turn signals. We do not see the need to bring the lowers all the way down, 10" below the turn signals.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Airtire screwed with this post 05-26-2005 at 03:50 PM
Airtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
DavidND
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Lip at the top.

Are you going to put a curved lip at the top to direct air over the helmet?
DavidND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
Herknav90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
That thing is HUGE! Might be good, might be bad!

Grip it and rip it!

Greifen Sie es und zerreißen Sie es!
Herknav90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,922
The comment that I would offer is that many R1200GS owners, myself included, are in the market for more weather/wind protection, but do not want to sacrifice our auxilliary lights and light bars which by now many of us have invested $$$ in. If that means no lower coverage, then fine. But, the Aeroflow big screen looks like a non-starter because it appears to interfere with aux lighting.

I'm running a Martin Fabrication light bar and Hella lamps. If you need any measurements or anything, I'm glad to help.

Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
sagiphile
Wife is Sagittarius

Oddometer: 83
Noise was my only complaint

I had a Cee Bailey and it seemed just as noisy as the stock screen. Maybe I've just become accustomed to the buffeting; I'm not trying to fix that anymore. Your question was about lowering the protection below the lights. Could that change the windflow and make freeway speeds quieter? The noise on the GS over 60 mph is almost unbearable. Both my Arai helmets are equally noisy. It would be great if the larger screen solved that issue.

I actually found that I could get some peace and quiet if I laid on the tank behind the stock windshield in it's full upright position. Or if I stood on the pegs, full wind in my face.

My preference for weather protection is to have it come from the clothing, rather than the wind shield. I just don't want a big fairing on my bike.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
Herknav90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
How much protection does the lower give you? To me, it's a little long on the bottom, and I don't know the benefit. EMOTO has the right point on the lowers also...I wouldn't want to have to remount PIAAs or other hardware.

How does the NECA vent work? Does it reduce the vibrating screen? Maybe you should help the BMW engineers. The shape looks good on the upper edges!

Grip it and rip it!

Greifen Sie es und zerreißen Sie es!
Herknav90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:56 PM   #7
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
I've got a comment- what the hell is with the pricing on all your new products???!!!! Jeesh~ Whatever happened to $70 replacement screens?!

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 04:44 AM   #8
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba The Biff
I've got a comment- what the hell is with the pricing on all your new products???!!!! Jeesh~ Whatever happened to $70 replacement screens?!
Yeah, that's true. I'm not cheap, but $375 seems like a lot of $ for a windscreen. The Aeroflow is similarly priced, which also puzzles me.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 05:35 AM   #9
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
[...]
The Aeroflow is similarly priced, which also puzzles me.
I smell a conspiracy...
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 06:04 AM   #10
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
The two you mentionned have frames- the Cee Baileys' looks to be a substantial and well done piece, in fact. It's one thing to have an item like this out there- folks who are looking for complete protection will pay it. The problem I have is with the simple bent plastic replacement screens that bolt right on. No Way they should be getting $200 for a hunk of bent plastic!!! That's just out of control.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:11 AM   #11
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Buffeting? Wind noise? Cost?

If the duct on the front of this screen is as good as the NACA duct Ricardo made for me, there will be no buffeting. If it is just a hole........

Wind noise is part of the pleasure of riding with my head in the wind. The only time it bothers me is when I encounter "dirty" air behind trucks.

The cost of fun stuff for motorcycles seems reasonable to me. It's not like the sales potential is anywhere near enough to have the screen mass produced in China.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:32 AM   #12
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke
Wind noise is part of the pleasure of riding with my head in the wind.
Wind noise is one thing, but bang bang bang on my helmet is another. When I stand bolt upright on my pegs, I get a nice clean wind flow and wooshing sound, which is perfectly ok. But the stock winscreen on my 12GS makes riding painful after 60 mph. Cee Bailey's recommends a +4" screen for my height.

This screen here is a lot more protection that I'd want on a GS. If anyone is looking to sell their used Cee Bailey's drop me a line.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:18 AM   #13
g_e_young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Congrates on having the smarts to get early feedback!

I would recommend TEST TEST TEST (and possible send two riders out, one on prototype and one on RT for comparison), and then when you sell it possibly include "lip kits" or some other simple modification so that different shaped riders can make slight modifications.

Riders like me basically want the versatility of a GS with the wind protection of
an RT. Impossible I know, but the goal is to get as close as possible. If this means more difficulty attaching aux lights, then so be it. The lowers look about right to me on this prototype, btw.

I do think it looks really wide; perhaps a lot wider than it needs to be. It makes me think there could be quite a vacuum back behind it. I would recommend it to be slightly narrower and a bit more raked back.

My 2 cents...

grant-
Old 05-27-2005, 12:05 PM   #14
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Wind noise is one thing, but bang bang bang on my helmet is another. When I stand bolt upright on my pegs, I get a nice clean wind flow and wooshing sound, which is perfectly ok.
I understand exactly what you are saying. On windy days my head shook enough to move my glasses on my nose. That problem was completely solved by the NACA duct. No more buffeting. When I get the 1200 I'll be looking to add a NACA duct to that screen too.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:49 PM   #15
ironbutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
Yeah, that's true. I'm not cheap, but $375 seems like a lot of $ for a windscreen. The Aeroflow is similarly priced, which also puzzles me.
AeroFlow used my R1200GS as the test bed and it took SIX MONTHS of development and he will need it for another month for possible follow up to help answer questions from customers. I don't know about Cee Bailey's development cycle, but I am sure they don't crank out a finished product in a weekend. And volume is nothing here to spread the development costs over.

After being involved with the process, I can see where every $ is going. If they were selling a 100,000 of them, I am sure we would see $100 fairings, but with all the development time and the additional brackets for the big screens...it is an expensive item to bring to market (and no, I don't work for Cee Bailey or AeroFlow)...

Mike
ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote