ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
jrsride2002 OP
Adventurer
 
jrsride2002's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Houston, Tx, USA
Oddometer: 82
Pissed XR650L Air box install/removal help

OK, so my air box is currently out, and I cannot for the life of me, get it back into the frame. Any ideas or experience? I just wasted about and hour and a half and just can wrap my head around it. Out the throttle side? Out the back?

Thanks
~Junior
__________________
'02 XR650L: Accerbis tank, motor mods, suspension mods, electronics mods
'02 DR650: Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock, everything else stock
jrsride2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsride2002 View Post
OK, so my air box is currently out, and I cannot for the life of me, get it back into the frame. Any ideas or experience? I just wasted about and hour and a half and just can wrap my head around it. Out the throttle side? Out the back?

Thanks
~Junior

I can't remember if the air box goes in from the left of the rear but I do know it's almost impossible unless the shock has been removed.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
RoadHawg14
CRASH
 
RoadHawg14's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Licolnton,GA
Oddometer: 127
It's a pain but you can put it back in from the Left side, Without removing the Shock. I've done this before its not easy but doable.
__________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safly in a pretty and well preserved body, But rather to skid in broadside, Thoroughly used up, Totally Worn Out and Loudly Proclaiming - WOW - WHAT A RIDE!
RoadHawg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
jrsride2002 OP
Adventurer
 
jrsride2002's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Houston, Tx, USA
Oddometer: 82
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHawg14 View Post
It's a pain but you can put it back in from the Left side, Without removing the Shock. I've done this before its not easy but doable.
Thank you gents!!! But wait.... You both are saying the left side, do you mean the clutch lever side?! I really dont want to remove the monoshock but it I must, i must... I just cant fathom how to squeeze it around but will give it a shot tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again gents!! Keep you post on the done procedure,
~Junior
__________________
'02 XR650L: Accerbis tank, motor mods, suspension mods, electronics mods
'02 DR650: Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock, everything else stock
jrsride2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
RoadHawg14
CRASH
 
RoadHawg14's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Licolnton,GA
Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsride2002 View Post
Thank you gents!!! But wait.... You both are saying the left side, do you mean the clutch lever side?! I really dont want to remove the monoshock but it I must, i must... I just cant fathom how to squeeze it around but will give it a shot tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again gents!! Keep you post on the done procedure,
~Junior
Left side would be the clutch side as your sitting on the bke
__________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safly in a pretty and well preserved body, But rather to skid in broadside, Thoroughly used up, Totally Worn Out and Loudly Proclaiming - WOW - WHAT A RIDE!
RoadHawg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
jrsride2002 OP
Adventurer
 
jrsride2002's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Houston, Tx, USA
Oddometer: 82
Thumb Worked out great!

OK, sweet!! Got it in the frame now, thanks again guys for your help!!

Took a little working, but folded the intake boot inward and decided to also unbolt the upper mono shock bolt to have a little more maneuverability. Dont think I needed to but im sure it helps a little.

Again, thanks dudes!!!
~Junior
__________________
'02 XR650L: Accerbis tank, motor mods, suspension mods, electronics mods
'02 DR650: Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock, everything else stock
jrsride2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
RoadHawg14
CRASH
 
RoadHawg14's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Licolnton,GA
Oddometer: 127
Glad to hear you got it in there!
__________________
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safly in a pretty and well preserved body, But rather to skid in broadside, Thoroughly used up, Totally Worn Out and Loudly Proclaiming - WOW - WHAT A RIDE!
RoadHawg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Kyron
Oncler Inds
 
Kyron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: NotCal Arizona
Oddometer: 224
what a PIA !!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
there's a Seinfeld episode like this, .....right?
Kyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyron View Post
what a PIA !!!!!!!!!!!
Perhaps, but it only needs to be done once, and the powerband will be better all the time.


Out of curiosity, what led to the airbox's removal?.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsride2002 View Post
OK, sweet!! Got it in the frame now, thanks again guys for your help!!

Took a little working, but folded the intake boot inward and decided to also unbolt the upper mono shock bolt to have a little more maneuverability. Dont think I needed to but im sure it helps a little.

Again, thanks dudes!!!
~Junior
Oh no you can't say Mono Shock on a Honda you will be sued
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014