Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #181
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
Glad you made it through Moore's ford. We did it back in May and two of us almost drowned our bikes. How did you like that crazy crown on 344?
hey Kevin, you're right, gotta be careful with that water crossing. even at that water level it would have drowned any bike with a lower air intake than the rat which fortunately has a high intake at the air box.

the reason for my hesitation to cross was this little wreck in May, where my foot was trapped under the bike mid stream, bad news solo if in 2' of water.

don't know about a "crazy crown" on 344, the FS people must have dumped several thousand tons of new 57 stone on it.

finishing out the gravel on roads in your neighborhood, strange to find the only strong creek flows in that area.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #182
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,166
When we road it early May it had a berm built up in the center, made for some interesting riding.
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #183
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
When we road it early May it had a berm built up in the center, made for some interesting riding.
wasn't there, must have run the grader over it.

your description reminds me of following a grader on northern roads where the operator uses the moldboard to pull the aggregate back up to the center from both ditch lines. the windrow of loose material down the center of the road can be 12-18", try jumping that with a loaded bike. if you do get over it, now you're in the wrong lane for oncoming traffic...not that anything like that ever happened to me.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #184
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

So when I turned the same corner, I was way late with miles to go, sun lower, shadows on the road, only seemed one solution, crank it on up, ya know, time travel. By the time I caught those freakin’ horse trailers, the headers had that incandescent glow, another mile and I was incandescent too, smoke coming out of my eyeballs, damn, I’d lost that bet.

Criders Road follows the German River, macadam, and then transitions to gravel as it climbs the mountain. The trailers were still on pavement when I caught up, there were other side roads where they could have turned, no opportunity to pass, but inexplicably, they were going to try to drag these trailers up the mountain on gravel, me behind, say…dusty, say freakin’ slow, and I was so charged up that I started making my own ozone with a spitting, crackling sound. This sure ain’t time travel, I could get across this mountain faster in a slightly overcooked Prius.

They were towing down the center of this narrow road at 10MPH, and I know they saw my headlights, no courtesy, no surprise, and the parade came to a halt when the lead truck couldn’t get around a very steep uphill left hander. The trailer in front of me was still in the middle of the road, and the woman driver jumped out of the truck, ready for confrontation, and motioned me past. No go with only a foot between her mirrors and the ditch, and she had to pull ahead to give me more room, thanks horse lady, yeehaw, somebody turn that thing out to pasture, looks like cowgirl hatted Mrs. Ed, swaybacked, not a good ride, take that to the bank.

The rig in front was having all kinds of trouble, but with 4 wheel engaged and the gravel flying, the trailer was moving up the mountain again, I was started too, except a pickup coming down the mountain suddenly appeared, everyone hit the brakes, and I found myself in a fast slide back down the grade, front brake locked, boots dragging, ain’t this fun, and I just missed hitting the horse lady truck behind me. Go ahead, throw a little more high test on me, it’s not like I was already on fire.

The two drivers meeting nose-to-nose were having a heated discussion on the finer points of gravel road etiquette, and when the horse trailer dude backed up a bit, I took the opportunity to squirt past in a shriek of first gear revs and a shower of tail wagging roosted gravel, the uphill horse towing boy yelling, the downhill pickup boy laughing. Yeah, well, he had a horse or two, I had 70, so long ya horse’s patoot, and I made the turn west on CR3-1, rolling again at a fast clip, ah, time travel.

The Cr3-1 or CampRun, gets a much different level of maintenance, washouts often repaired with bank run available on the road itself, less often imported crushed stone, and the road surface is very passable, but much rougher.

Up and down the grades on these roads, the country crisscrossed with small creeks, some crossings seasonal, but other holding at least some water year round. Like most in the area, these crossings were nearly dry, but I stopped anyway to pick a line, this wasn’t the time of day for surprises, big or little.

There is a small primitive campground on this road, and as I went past I could see one of those huge 40’ fifth wheel trailers parked there, pulled in from the west, still must have been a chore. The road clears the FS boundary and immediately opens up, a small reservoir to the south. I’m not sure of the history or purpose of these reservoirs, but they’re found throughout the area, and built at no small expense.

This road takes me down to CR3, terminating in a peculiar little hairpin at the pavement in front of someone’s home, and I was south once more, calling an audible, I needed to skip a road on my route. I was already lookin’ at a pitch black 1000 ETA east, ripping along, hunched a little lower, the perfect dusty picture of non-aerodynamic drama.

(to be continued…)
Old 09-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #185
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,973

Some great roads there, I've been on more than a few.
Was north of Laurel Fork, coming down a section of pretty rough road and met some guys trying to go up.
In a Pontiac Gran Prix

I stopped and they asked how the road was, I told them they had about 100 yards before they would be backing down.

The passenger said they were going to a cabin on top, I wished them luck and said I hope that is a rental car.

I don't stick around to see what happened next, I'm not sure I would have taken my 4x4 Tundra much farther.

Great writing, good read when I am stuck here far from my bikes.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #186
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Great writing, good read when I am stuck here far from my bikes.
thanks. endless stories from West Virginia roads, and i've been on your roads since the no snow winter early this season.

wherever you are, your ADV buddies wish you safe travels and a quick return home, of that, i'm sure.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #187
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

The pavement was a respite, a moment to relax for a short period, and although not what I came to ride, at least it wasn’t a surface that could put the hurt on ya every other time you blinked. Shifting through the gears, dumping the fuel, I had pulled back on the ol’ slingshot, let ‘er go, snap, and I was launched farther south.

I had been riding hard for eight hours, a food break, and I saw fatigue on the horizon, dark clouds, looming like a weather front I needed to outrun. No mystery to this curving road as CR3 took me down to 33, then southwest to Brandywine, no stops, and I was south on CR21.

Riding south on CR21, still on pavement, past the Navy communication facility to the west, yup, I wondered myself what the Navy was doing so far from blue water, but since pork comes in so many flavors, heck, you get the general idea. No one expected it would become a Superfund Site within a NF boundary.

The CR24, or Little Fork road angles off on the left, well graded gravel to start, through pasture, and then past another reservoir, water level very low.

Well graded, no kidding, but that would change in another mile when the road entered the undeveloped part of the GW National Forest.

The road crosses Little Fork Run three times before connecting to CR25, paved this season. Today these crossing were showing about 14” of water, some velocity, and can get tricky in higher water flows. I stopped for a photo and to pick a line, gassed it, spray flying, and by the third crossing I was downright wet.

The Park Service paved CR25, Moyer’s Gap, this spring, had a whole bunch of people scratching their heads on the need for pavement here on this low traffic seasonal road, and in the context of the Park Service being flat broke. Now folks can go really fast, switchbacks, blind corners, no shoulders, I see wrecks, plenty of wrecks, motos too.

Southeast on CR25, then south on the CR61 gravel. This road, including links with a number of others, was my last southbound section today.

I had connected to part of this route earlier this spring when running northbound, but had never started the road from CR25 south. CR61 was another road that had seen some recent maintenance, but with bank run material, and the road was rough in comparison to graded gravel, the numerous small water crossings dry.

The road took me past Flesher Run where the Park Service bought out a small farm within the GW boundary, a common practice, often very controversial if the property was taken through an eminent domain provision to complete the sale.

The road gradually improves the farther south I ride, some use, but I was alone in here today, no deer either.

I found myself out of the woods and into a small clearing, time for a stop, take a break, not sure whether this little area had been clear cut or burned.

I caught a flash of moving vehicle through the trees, surprised me, but I was at the intersection with CR32, ShenandoahMountain.

I turned north, still on gravel. CR32 connected to CR30, south again, then 620 westbound, where I passed an old borrow pit, very late, had to stop anyway.

I had crossed the border again on 620, now back in Virginia, the country opening to pasture, and I was soon down to 614, the valley road running back north to the border, becoming CR21, remember that one?

I had just spent a very long time on roads to a destination that would have taken 20 minutes on pavement to the same spot, but ain’t that why we ride. The 614/CR21 winds through a very appealing valley, I end of the road for some fortunate early settlers, the south fork branch of the Potomac follows alongside this road.

Down to the intersection with 250 and one of those defining turns I’ve mentioned in previous reports. After riding south almost all day, I was making the turn east, and inbound, a race for home…except for food and fuel.

I was in a big freakin’ hurry coming down off the mountain, had to grab a bunch of brake in the corners a few times, oh well, I ain’t that good these days, and when I ended up at my country store at the intersection with Deerfield Valley, the TKCs looked like I had been cookin’, at least a little.

This store is usually a north/south stop for me, not east/west, but it works the same, fuel, and the best greasy food anywhere around. I had been on a grease and caffeine diet all day long, why quit now. The bike got premium, I had plans.

Double cheeseburger and onion rings, 1000 calories with dripping aromatic lard, black coffee, diet Mountain Dew for buzzy hydration, and I was thinking about dessert when I decided to make a little conversation with a group of bear chase dudes, just in to replenish their beer coolers. Bad idea, the worst spontaneous idea I’d had in a damn long time.

I had forgotten that the bear boys think they enjoy exclusive rights to the back roads, some of the gravel roads I had just crossed, so let me put it this way, it wasn’t a pleasant conversation. See ya out there boys, rude behavior finds no favor with me.

Time to go again, and I’d left the bike pointed east on purpose, I was going to end the riding day in an all out sprint, driving lights blazing, all lit up, I’m betting you don’t want me tailgating…but one last stop on the way, to sort of close out the Starbuckistan loop. Has anyone noticed, these consulates are, like, everywhere. OMG!

THE END OF THE TALE, NOT THE END OF THE ROAD
Old 09-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #188
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Thumb

Once again....thanks for taking us along. Nice job!
'83 Yamaha Venture- Gone
'78 Suzuki GS 750- Gone
WaywardSon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #189
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
Once again....thanks for taking us along. Nice job!
thanks, glad ya enjoyed riding along. man, i'm checking the maps, got to get back out there. now, if i just connect all those Starbuckistanian dots, must be like bread crumbs...
Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #190
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
I had forgotten that the bear boys think they enjoy exclusive rights to the back roads, some of the gravel roads I had just crossed, so let me put it this way, it wasn’t a pleasant conversation. See ya out there boys, rude behavior finds no favor with me.
I saw a bunch of the bear guys out there over the weekend. Last day of bear training they said. They were all out there just chasing the bears with their dog packs.

I was bikeless though, as I was taking my boy for his first real camping trip. Once he can reach the passenger pegs, then the real adventures can begin.

Thanks for sharing your adventures with us
Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #191
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,181
This is also a sign that you are talking to a short sighted moron who can't see beyond his 75 IQ.
Stupid otta hurt.

Thanks for taking us along JDR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post

Old 10-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #192
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I saw a bunch of the bear guys out there over the weekend. Last day of bear training they said. They were all out there just chasing the bears with their dog packs.

I was bikeless though, as I was taking my boy for his first real camping trip. Once he can reach the passenger pegs, then the real adventures can begin.

Thanks for sharing your adventures with us
glad you enjoyed the report. some good times with your son in the years ahead.

ran up on a group this spring, near dark, miles to go to get to camp, and the one boy had his truck blocking the road, driver door open. my headlights and driving lights were on, he was in no hurry to do anything, but finally walked over and slammed the door shut. still couldn't get by, hmmmm, i wonder if those dogs can catch up to that ol' baaar if i do the press and hold on that little button with the bugle shape thing on it. that got some action, and nobody said anything when i went on by, could be mistaken on that point, the bike was movin' kinda fast by then, that high shrieking exhaust note at 10,000 RPM pushed every single bear onto the next mountain over.

they're still lookin' for me, so i'm going to paint the bike a different color. if ya have white on the bike, don't go in there, they went and trained one of them dogs to chase anything white...might be gunfire too.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #193
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
This is also a sign that you are talking to a short sighted moron who can't see beyond his 75 IQ.
Stupid otta hurt.

Thanks for taking us along JDR!!!
you're welcome, Jack

you won't find too many Mensa inductees chasing bears, but most have plenty of common sense, common courtesy too. some don't have either.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #194
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,688
JD. Good trip or I should say trips. Wish I could have made it up that way over the summer. Too busy working but had time to contemplate a DR. WR or something with an R in it. Even Versys has and R. But yours has more than one RRRRat Verrrsys.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #195
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
JD. Good trip or I should say trips. Wish I could have made it up that way over the summer. Too busy working but had time to contemplate a DR. WR or something with an R in it. Even Versys has and R. But yours has more than one RRRRat Verrrsys.
you know a DR koolaid salesman, surprised you don't have one already.

the rat Versys with the wheels and big suspension does real well on those roads.

PM on the way.