User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Rhino-1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
School Me on K1200R

Considering a possible trade deal. Pros? Cons? Durability? I've always been curious; and while I've owned oil head boxers, I've never owned an inline BMW (bike...).

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, '04 Aprilia Mille Factory, '75 Honda CB125S
Rhino-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,156
It has the usual issues......occasional final drive issues, some bikes had weird idling issues in super hot weather, and it might be the worst shifting bike I've ever owned. Long term durability is a question mark, because they just didn't make this model for long.

There are some discussions of late regarding the camchain tensioner and chain set up. You want to make sure the bike you are trading for has the newest tensioner on the upper right hand side of the engine.....it should look like a black pill bottle sticking out of the engine, and not just a silver plate. That tensioner is a $125 part by itself.

I have the GT model, and am impressed with the handling and excellent heat management. The strength of the engine is impressive as well......flexible and pulls hard. I imagine the R version is even quicker and better handling.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Rhino-1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
It has the usual issues......occasional final drive issues, some bikes had weird idling issues in super hot weather, and it might be the worst shifting bike I've ever owned. Long term durability is a question mark, because they just didn't make this model for long.

There are some discussions of late regarding the camchain tensioner and chain set up. You want to make sure the bike you are trading for has the newest tensioner on the upper right hand side of the engine.....it should look like a black pill bottle sticking out of the engine, and not just a silver plate. That tensioner is a $125 part by itself.

I have the GT model, and am impressed with the handling and excellent heat management. The strength of the engine is impressive as well......flexible and pulls hard. I imagine the R version is even quicker and better handling.
Thanks so much for the info. How would you compare the handling to, say, an R1100S? I know the wheel base is longer, but it seems that most seem to do just fine with them in the twisties. What about valve adjustment and such? Any undue headaches or quirks?

Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
UncleBuck
F'n n00b

Oddometer: 223
The K1200R is a phenomenal bike. Plenty of power, adequate handling in the twisty's and plenty comfortable for all/multi-day rides.

I bought my 2006 (new) for 12500 and change out the door in 2008. Local dealer had 3 new ones on the floor when I bought it. They have a few quirks/issues but in the time I had mine it was somewhat reliable. I had the cam chain tensioner replace at @ 6500 miles. Brake rotor recall was completed prior to purchase. Low speed/low rpm throttle issues have been reported by some, but notit all. I had problems with mine with the stock exhaust/map, but after a power commander and aftermarket exhaust (with dynojet tune) I had no complaints. My front brake were noisier than shit, I swapped pads, resurfaced rotors and tried adding brake pad shims but was never able to get rid of the singing brakes. At the 12000 mile mark I started experiencing issues with the transmission popping out of 2nd gear under acceleration. The dealership was able to replicate it, but said that it was nothing to be concerned about. To quote the service manager, it isn't a sportbike, it wasn't designed to be ridden like one. The only other dealership in the area could not duplicate the problem therefore were of little help.

After 17000 miles I had reached my limit. Maybe it was the 8 months of riding, then sitting for a year while I was in Afghanistan, but in Dec. 2010 I traded the the bike in for a 2008 Multistrada. Granted I paid the dealership for the majority of the service on the BMW, the ease of maintenance on the 2v Duc has won me over. A few oil changes, two valve checks and one pair of belts and I am only out a few hours of my time and less money than the cost of the abs and final drive service on the BMW.

Loved riding the BMW, just hated owning it.

YMMV, as there are some who have had nothing but miles of smiles on the 1200, but for me it was less than desireable. Check out K-Bikes.com. Lots of good information and good people.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
Thanks so much for the info. How would you compare the handling to, say, an R1100S? I know the wheel base is longer, but it seems that most seem to do just fine with them in the twisties. What about valve adjustment and such? Any undue headaches or quirks?
I never thought the R1100S was as nice a bike as my 98 K1200RS, so I'm probably the wrong guy to ask.

Still haven't had to look at the valves on mine (the check is coming up in another 3k miles), but it looks like an involved job to get everything taken apart.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 1,004
I currently have one and love it. Have had it for 3 years now and not a single problem. In fact, it has been the most versatile, most flexible, fastest, coolest and most unique bike I have had.

Given that it's a naked bike it's not as good as my k-gt was for long highway rides - and given that it's an inline 4 it's not as good as the R-GS was at putting around town but I think it has a permanent spot in my garage !

Let me know what specific questions you have.
2012 KTM 350 XCF-W
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
Nice bike.....
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Rhino-1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Tundra, how does it feel through the twisty stuff? Commuting? How many miles are on yours?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin8r View Post
Tundra, how does it feel through the twisty stuff? Commuting? How many miles are on yours?
I have about 8k miles currently - which I understand is modest compared to what many might have on a bike this old.

About handling, it certainly doesn't handle like 600cc sport bike but feel it does very well in twisties recognizing it is not a full on sport bike. The little you might give up in the twists you more than make up on in the bikes straight line speed and stability.

I don't commute on it as I work in NYC but it would seem like a perfect daily commuter - especially with the bags.

Extras I have on mine are bar risers, peg lowering, BMW bags and Corbin seat. A few other cosmetics but those are the ergo additions.
2012 KTM 350 XCF-W
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
mepilot
mepilot

Oddometer: 26
I have been looking into the k bikes a lot the last two weeks, and test rode a k1300s and r1200r last weekend. Everything I have been seeing says pay attention to the year. 05-06 needs remaps and exhaust which someone alluded to earlier. I am sticking with 07-08's. Also the guy that mentioned the transmission problem, this is referenced numerous times throughout the forums, most people were having theirs replaced under warranty years back, now its $5000 out of pocket unless BMWNA feels generous. Another reason to stick with the later years, most people agree that they changed or fixed the transmission.

I agree with what everyone else says about the ride, it is excellent and the power is addicting.
mepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Harry Backer
Ran when parked!

Oddometer: 373
Great bikes, they still make them and sell them overseas. Have a freind with one and it has been flawless since 2005 when he bought it new.
Harry Backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
I have an '06 K1200R bought new, loaded and still love the bike. Make sure your recalls have been done. I would add the cam chain "jump guard" just for your head (about an hour or less of work on that bike). Yeah, everywhere expect the Unites States and Antarctica you can get the K1300R.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
Rick Lee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
The local dealer just got a very well farkled, low-miles '06 K1200R and called me about it yesterday. They want my '08 GS with 53k miles and $2500 for it. I think it should be an even trade. My bike plus $2500 is out of the question. But I've never ridden a K12R, so I'm very curious to go give it a try. Little concerned about the pre-07 transmissions too.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 599
I got to take a long test ride in one. I really enjoyed it, and just the other day I was trying to rember why I didn't buy it...

The thing I rember about it the most, it was properly fast. Like really, really strong. I enjoyed it very much. Handling was pretty good, it felt like a long bike, but it was reasonably nimble and very stable.

The bike I rode had the Remus can, and the fueling was not quite smooth. But it's glitches kind of worked in its favor if that makes any sense...

If you get one allow budget for a radar detector, it's fast!!
Old 07-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
Rick Lee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
Well, I got it. About to do the paperwork and ride her home. Photos in a bit.