User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
billdonna OP
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 973
1200GS Dead In The Water

Guys... A 2010 R1200GS on an extended tour of the Midwest and southern US died in the rain on the Blue ridge Parkway coming home to Canada. In a severe thunderstorm with heavy rain, on top of a mountain, in the middle of nowhere, the engine started to violently backfire, vibrate and pre-detonate. I immediately pulled over and rolled off the throttle. The bike purred at idle. As soon as I moved the throttle off the TB stops, the misfiring reappeared. As lightning was striking too close to me with no shelter,I had to ride it off the mountain in second gear at an idle. After a few minutes the engine was slowly able to take a little gas and returned to normal after 20 mins of bucking.I pulled into a great motel called Freebornes in Laurel Springs where all the Harley guys had pulled off. They got me in touch with a BMW dealer and I rode there the next morning. The tech said that it was the fuel pump controller and put a new one in. When I asked why he didn't run the codes first he said this problem was so common, he didn't need to. When he ran the codes after installation, sure enough 27B7 electric fuel pump came up and was cleared. He recommended that I carry a spare fuel pump controller on future long trips as this failure was common.

My question to my fellow inmates is this. I thought the fuel pump controller issue had been put to bed a few years ago. Can anyone give me some feedback on late model fuel pump controller failures? Thanks!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,851
Did the tech say anything about it getting wet? On the Adventure the controller sits in a cup that holds water, so having the seal installed properly is critical. Big thread over at UKGSer.com on these, but hasn't been much rumbling about them here for a while.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Where is this thing located, some may care to check to see the seal is sealing, much thanks.

As I read this, it maybe a seal issue...............?
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Where is this thing located, some may care to check to see the seal is sealing, much thanks.

As I read this, it maybe a seal issue...............?
Top left of the tank on the Adventure. I beleive LH side of tank on the STD. GS
Old 07-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
PARIAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
One more thing to worry about.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,284
Don't ride in the rain on a GS
Old 07-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,455
Fuel pump bypass...

"On BMW R1200GS, R1200GS Adventure, R1200RT, R1200ST, R1200R, F800GS and F650GS-twin motorcycles, the fuel pump controller can fail due to water infiltration or because of a design flaw, limiting heat sinking, leaving you stranded. Using the accessory socket or an SAE battery connector and this cable as a temporary fix, you can bypass the failed controller and get back on the road."

http://burnsmoto.com/bmw-fuel-pump-bypass-cable.php

Installation instructions:
http://burnsmoto.com/bmw-fuel-pump-b...structions.php

MY set of instructions from the Burns video which I typed out and take with me: Feel free to COPY!

Fuel Pump Controller BYPASS Installation Instructions

1. Remove the left side gas tank cover.

2. Remove the black fuel pump cover.

3. With a small flat screw driver...pry open the retaining clip and remove the power to the fuel pump controller (
4. With a torx socket (size T-20) remove the screws that are holding the fuel pump controller to the top of the fuel pump.

5. On the rear screw...I found it easier to use a torx T-20 screw driver.

6. With a small screw driver...pry up the fuel pump controller. Look inside and you'll see the BLUE connector.

7. Use your screwdriver to squeeze the tabs on the blue connector to make it easier to remove.

8. Now...take your fuel bypass pump cable and align that connector to the top of the fuel pump connector...and connect it.

9. Insert the Powerlet connector into your accessory socket.

10. Now...start the bike.
11. Tuck the cable under the side covers...so they're out of the way.
12. You're back on the road.

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 10:03 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,245
What LOPL said.

It was a big issue in the past, but it is mostly OK now. Since you have a new controller you probably won't have further issues.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
FlatDarkGS
Master BS'er

Oddometer: 160
It hasn't been an issue because the mega drought has eliminated the "issue" of rain across most of the U.S. Hah!
FlatDarkGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
billdonna OP
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
"On BMW R1200GS, R1200GS Adventure, R1200RT, R1200ST, R1200R, F800GS and F650GS-twin motorcycles, the fuel pump controller can fail due to water infiltration or because of a design flaw, limiting heat sinking, leaving you stranded. Using the accessory socket or an SAE battery connector and this cable as a temporary fix, you can bypass the failed controller and get back on the road."

http://burnsmoto.com/bmw-fuel-pump-bypass-cable.php

Installation instructions:
http://burnsmoto.com/bmw-fuel-pump-b...structions.php

MY set of instructions from the Burns video which I typed out and take with me: Feel free to COPY!

Fuel Pump Controller BYPASS Installation Instructions

1. Remove the left side gas tank cover.

2. Remove the black fuel pump cover.

3. With a small flat screw driver...pry open the retaining clip and remove the power to the fuel pump controller (
4. With a torx socket (size T-20) remove the screws that are holding the fuel pump controller to the top of the fuel pump.

5. On the rear screw...I found it easier to use a torx T-20 screw driver.

6. With a small screw driver...pry up the fuel pump controller. Look inside and you'll see the BLUE connector.

7. Use your screwdriver to squeeze the tabs on the blue connector to make it easier to remove.

8. Now...take your fuel bypass pump cable and align that connector to the top of the fuel pump connector...and connect it.

9. Insert the Powerlet connector into your accessory socket.

10. Now...start the bike.
11. Tuck the cable under the side covers...so they're out of the way.
12. You're back on the road.
Yup, roger that procedure, I'm on it but pretty fuckin' difficult in a goddamn monsoon with no shelter. I understand the bypass to enable the fuel pump to run 100% dumping the excess back to the tank. But was this not a emergency recovery for earlier model years? Me thought this problem was supposed to be cured before the 2010 models? Or is BMW using up old stock on new bikes?

PS...I spent 5 hours at the dealer on my 1000km service with the exact same problem after the dealer "powerwashed " my bike for me

billdonna screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 04:58 PM
billdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Oddometer: 384
Mine was fine (07 GSAdv) until dealer replaced it under the recall...2 years and 3mo later it failed. O ring was pinched and leaked enough to corrode the connector to the fuel pump. Dealer of course said "someone else could have tampered with it...not our fault". Check that it is not pinched like in photo below!!

Corrosion in connector.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
When he ran the codes after installation, sure enough 27B7 electric fuel pump came up
A friend of mine has a '10 GSA and his controller failed too. But his bike acted like it was running out of fuel and finally just died - he couldn't ride it back and had to trailer it home. He had a 911 and it also came up with the fuel pump error.

He took it to the dealership and they replaced the controller stating that his bike didn't have the new updated model. His old controller had corrosion and was pitted on the board. Supposedly the new controllers have sealed boards... that's all the upgrade was about.

Maybe I'll just open mine up and look to see if mine is sealed... '11 GSA.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Quote:

Anyone know which is Positive, Blue or Yellow?
Old 08-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #14
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
One very important note that is stated on the web site:

Quote:
You must connect the accessory port directly to the battery and have a 10 amp fuse on the positive wire. The stock accessory port has a 5 amp limit and the fuel pump draws 7 amps, which will trip the canbus virtual fuse.
I would add to LaurelPerryOnLand's list that your Powerlet Socket (or what ever socket you are using) has to be connected to the battery therefore by-passing the canbus system.

Nice little piece of insurance. Bought one. Now I'll probably never have to use it, but that's fine with me.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
I rode to work in the rain and my bike ran fine. After 8 hours of sitting in the rain, I rode it home only to have my 2008 1200 GS stall partial home. Bike just shut off. I restarted the bike and it won't idle unless I hold the throttle open. Tomorrow morning I'll inspect the fuel pump for corrosion.