User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
weeman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
RID display woes

The other day I took my r1100rsl out for a ride and noticed the RID display had a little condensation in the very right corner of the display. The temperature was at 34deg but with a bit more moisture in the air not windy but calm. Has anyone ever experienced this on their bikes?
Also, in the long term will it damage anything and can it be corrected? Thanks all!

Steve
weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 7,449
You might try a hair dryer (low heat) aimed at the underside of the RID. As for long term affects?

Where do you park the bike? If you don't already use one, you might want to try a cover...one that breathes.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
weeman OP
Adventurer

Thanks def for the reply. It stays garaged and covered when not in use. It is possible that the dry garage that's not insulated might be the culprit.
I will try the hair dryer.

Steve
Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
go4mini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
My now gone RSL had the same problem. I discovered that the rubber buttons that you reset the clock with were allowing moisture in. I tried everything, even got an electronic screwdriver set and took it apart. I discovered corrosion throughout the circuit board. Cleaned everything up, and it worked for a while, but eventually failed. Bought a good, used one for about $80.00 on the net, and it fixed my problems. Those buttons will get cracks and tears in them, and will also stay pushed in if you are not careful. Makes your clock go crazy. Good luck. Great bike, by the way.
go4mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
weeman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4mini View Post
My now gone RSL had the same problem. I discovered that the rubber buttons that you reset the clock with were allowing moisture in. I tried everything, even got an electronic screwdriver set and took it apart. I discovered corrosion throughout the circuit board. Cleaned everything up, and it worked for a while, but eventually failed. Bought a good, used one for about $80.00 on the net, and it fixed my problems. Those buttons will get cracks and tears in them, and will also stay pushed in if you are not careful. Makes your clock go crazy. Good luck. Great bike, by the way.
Thanks....further investigation into that hopefully will yield a solution.