Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 01:55 AM   #1
Slowpoak OP
Riding the buck-shot

Oddometer: 683
Cameron Corner & back home via Arkaroola.

This ride was somewhat a pipe dream i'd had for several years until one fateful night on the beer when I was provoked by a good friend to drop my shit and organise myself to ride to Cameron Corner.

After months of preparation, spending money and researching the day had finally come to leave for my first big trip on the trusty DR. Before I get into rambling on, I would like to thank all the boys for contributing in making this trip eventful and fun : GagsD2, XrMan, BigRedRooster, DrDave & GoneAgain .

My plan was to travel from my home in SW Victoria to Cameron Corner via the Gammon ranges, 8-10 days with over 3500kms to cover while exploring our BIG backyard. The invite was thrown out to anyone to tag along for the ride and so began GTR's assault on Cameron Corner .

DAY 1:

The bike.

The rider of DR-Piggy.

The Green Triangle Region possie.

North of Penola, re-group and piss stop.

South of Renmark.

First nights camp, 30kms north of Renmark at the enterance to Danggali conservation park.

Nice campsite but one de-flated mattress suffered the wrath of burr's .

DAY 2:
The morning was hard due to a rum fuelled chin-wag during the night but no time to wait as Broken Hill awaited our arrival.

Its amazing what will grow out here under harsh conditions.

First sign of trouble once we hit the Silver city HWY, the BMW had suffered a fuel issue which would plague GoneAgain throughout the ride .

Silverton pub, early arvo lunch stop.

Hamburgers and beers were the choosen order by all.

20km north of Silverton, photo OP and piss stop.

As we journey further north to find a camp site and re-group at a intersection, a station owner rides up on his trusty 98' DR250. What a beast it was , once a year oil change ( diesel oil of course ), mousse tubes and headlight cover removed & replaced with a UHF radio which had a home made brace affixed above the headlight.

To our surprise, he & his daughter in-law invite us to stay at their shearing quarters for the night, HOT shower & a bed why turn down the offer.

Slowpoak screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 03:53 AM
Slowpoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
Neonasty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Sounds like a great trip. I was out that way about a year and a half ago. However it was in a car. Id like to head back and explore further north of there next time.

-Shaun
Neonasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
Slowpoak OP
Riding the buck-shot

DAY 3:
The morning dawned over Mount Woowoolahra homestead and what a place to run a 80,000 hectare sheep station.

Shearing quarters.

Off we rode towards Milparinka following station tracks along side the border and Silver city HWY.

Not much out here but beautiful never the less, SO many gates along this route .

Teilta lake.

20km north overlooking Westwood downs station, the owner had sign posted detour routes along several tracks which made for a bit of fun in navigating through the property.

Pimpara lake track.

I got here realising I had NO headlights or dust clouds behind me, time to wait and re-group. Found out that the BMW had run out of fuel, always handy carrying a jerry can and thank god for safari tanks on DR's .

Trying out the self-timer, be a few years since i'd used the camera.

Milparinka pub, shut down .

After beer, chips & gravy and a refuel of the bikes at Tibooburra, it was time to head towards Cameron Corner.

It was now 15:30, my theory, 139km in 2 hours was achievable but talk around the table suggested to be realistic as it may take 3 hours due to road conditions, I was proven wrong .

BigRedRooster took lead followed closely by myself with the others bringing up the rear. Not sure if there was something in the beer but BRR & myself were on a mission, warp speed propelled us towards the corner for that next cold beer .

Upon shutting the beasts down, saying g'day to the locals & receiving a frosty cold beer by DrDave, it was noted we had achieved 139km in 1hr 50min .

Clay pan east of Cameron Corner.

GTR possie minus a BMW rider who's bike had failed him again but luck would have it he turned up 20min later .

Setting up camp before a big night .

DAY 4:

The next morning most awoke with sore heads but this was overcome with coffee and a excellent egg & bacon roll for breakfast. It was now time to do the tourist thing.

I had achieved my goal with a good bunch of blokes .

Heading west towards the Strzelecki HWY along the corner Rd.

Re-grouped and said our farewells to GoneAgain, as he was heading north to Innamincka.

Montecollina well.

This water was coming out of the ground at about 30 degrees, where the main pool would cool down.

Fighting for shade.

Another pack of galah's in the shade .

Mount Hopeless turnoff heading towards the Gammon ranges.

Our quarters at Arkaroola for the next 2 nights .

Not bad for $60 a night, twin share.

Slowpoak screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 05:19 AM
Old 09-23-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
Slowpoak OP
Riding the buck-shot

DAY 5:

After a hearty meal the night before at Arkaroola village, accompanied with TOO many Coopers pal ale, it was time for some bike prep and ready ourselves for a day in the Gammon ranges.

BRR and myself ventured out, as two other riders wanted to get their laundry done and another was in the midst of bike prep & taking easy enjoying the morning sun.

We had taken some advice from staff who had highlighted a map for us on some one-way tracks not that far from Arkaroola.

Windmills at the old Arkaroola station.

Overlooking Arkaroola station.

To our amusement, and I shit you not, this track had lead us directly back to the front our rooms, it doesn't get any better than that .

After a short break, it was time to head out to another track south-east of the village.

After 4 hrs of riding, I was beat and needed a rest, shower & cold beer . BRR and XrMan decided to head out for a ride later that arvo, concern was being raised as the boys weren't back and it was 17:30 but never the less the intrepid duo returned with lip-stick on their ears, that's how hard they were smiling, and spoke of the wildest little track no-one had possibily driven on in 20 years .

To their luck, we had already acquired beer & ice neatly fitted into Gags Wolfman packs .

Slowpoak screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 04:16 AM
Old 09-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #5
Slowpoak OP
Riding the buck-shot

DAY 6:

It was time to leave Arkaroola village and start heading south towards home.

Looking back onto the Gammon ranges while traveling along the Lake Frome Rd.

GTR possie on a lovely new sealed road .

Lunch stop north of Yunta.

Old chimney at the Waukaringa goldfield / mine.

Overlooking the Waukaringa ruins.

Heading towards Yunta.

Re-fuelled and beered up at Yunta, we decide to move on and camp the night. This was a wise choice as the campsite we picked was awesome with plenty of firewood, soft green ground and NO prickly things to pop holes into bed mattress's .

It was a shame to leave Yunta though but due to the attuide & unhelpful nature of the publican , we decided to stock up and move onto better pastures.

Setting up camp for the night, 40km south of Yunta.

Fire and beer makes for good bench racing .

DAY 7:
For once we're all up early and ready to go towards Remark.

Having a highlighted map in one direction and a GPS route in another direction makes for interesting times .

Dangglai conservation park.

The mighty Murray river at Renmark.

The bikes resting up before heading towards Mildura for the night.

We followed Old Mail Rd to Mildura which runs just south of the Murray river, nice road this one but would be a handful in the wet .

Murray river.

DAY 8:
It was decided over dinner that we would ride home the following day, being so close to home and being away from loved ones had become a priority for some, so breakfast was in Ouyen, morning tea at Hopetoun and a visit to BigRedRooster's property along the way.

" that's NOT a toy, this is a toy " .

After a quiet coffee and a squirt through some bean, lentil & wheat crops, our last stop was Conda pub for a final beer and farewells.

Thanks again boys for tagging along .
Old 09-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
bigredroosta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Cool job Slow, and great camera work, that scenery up there is something else, hey?
bigredroosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 414
Nice RR + pics.

Looks like a great ride.

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
Slowpoak OP
Riding the buck-shot

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredroosta View Post
Cool job Slow, and great camera work, that scenery up there is something else, hey?
Scenery up there was awesome, just like everywhere we travelled too, several holy fuck moments everytime you'd mount a crest and the horizon would show open plain or ranges you didn't see behind the hill .
Old 09-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
barneyrubble
Just tired

Oddometer: 452
Nice report and great pic's.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:01 AM   #10
ozzyal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Great write up , enjoyed the pics
ozzyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #11
newcman

Oddometer: 17
Nice RR Slowpoak. Thanks.
Yeah, that publican (and his missus) at Yunta is a bundle of laughs isn't he?!! A mate and I had the misfortune to walk into his bar in April after a long hot ride down the Yunta Rd. What an arsehole. As you guys did we camped up the road too.
GoneAgain had a few problems with the F800 didn't he (his RR is a real saga but good reading). Just when I was thinking of buying one too!
newcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
Sroz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Nice write up and some good shots! Thx for taking time to out up
Sroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,532
cheers Slow

thanks for takin the time to put that together..!

was a a bloody good ride (even with a dodgy fuel pump....)

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote