User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,071
'94 R100GS Turn Signal Issues.

I was out today enjoying the morning when my turn signals suddenly quit working. Fuses checked okay - I swapped out the relay for another that I have and still no joy. I'm wondering if my 'Turn Signal Cancel Switch' might have stuck on and is preventing activation from happening. I've been giving the Clymer pretty coloured wiring diagrams a go over and I spy this thing called the 'Turn Signal and Cancelling Unit' - where the hell is this thing? I'm going to start undoing the handlebar switches individually tomorrow to see how this affects things. Any suggestions would be welcome.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:06 AM   #2
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,317
What relay did you swap out, if it's not the TS unit?

The TS unit is under the tank, sort of in the middle. Maybe to the rear of the regulator? Big black plastic box.

From the front you have coil, ignition unit, TS unit, voltage regulator, then the three smaller relays at the back.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

I was going by the illustration in the BMW manual which showed the forward small black relay as the turn signal relay (I just checked the book again - refer to bottom left diagram on page 4.26) I should have known that this was wrong....

I see the part number for this unit (big black box) is 613 123 060 14 and it retails for around $112.48 at MAX. Anybody find something else that fits in its place? I also noticed that a Kisan SM-6 is a plug and play replacement with turn signal cancellation as a feature - goes for $119. Anybody have any thoughts on these?

Thanks Anton for your reply and for setting me straight. Don't ever quit this place.

Someone posted a pretty picture of a GS with all the relays/black boxes identified a few years ago - anybody remember this? It would be nice to find this again to print it off and add it to my manual - it might prevent mistakes like I just made from happening again.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
97oilhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
When I was hunting down an intermittent problem with my left turn, I removed the contact pin in the cancel switch cleaned and lengthened the spring.

When trying to diagnose my problem, the turn lights would light up, but not flash with the cancel pin removed. If this is similar to your problem I would suspect the cancel switch.
'95 R100R Classic
97oilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mine are just dead. They've never shown any problem till now but yesterday after a turn cancellation, the next time I selected them on, I got nothing. It was pointing me toward the turn cancellation switch possibly not returning to neutral and not allowing activation of the relay for a turn selection but my switches look brand new externally. I'll probably spring for the Kisan/BMW relay route - always nice to have spare bits around for an older bike.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
Mine are just dead. They've never shown any problem till now but yesterday after a turn cancellation, the next time I selected them on, I got nothing. It was pointing me toward the turn cancellation switch possibly not returning to neutral and not allowing activation of the relay for a turn selection but my switches look brand new externally. I'll probably spring for the Kisan/BMW relay route - always nice to have spare bits around for an older bike.
I have no experience with the Kisan unit, but some of the other airheads here REALLY don't like them.

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've been reading pros and cons on the Kisan products after I plugged the name into the Search field. It all depends on if it has all the bells and whistles or is just the plain jane unit. The beauty of being in Vancouver, B.C. is that none of this stuff is usually locally available so it tends to steer you toward the stock equipment by default. Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just ordered the last relay on the shelves in Canada supposedly and it's at the BMW warehouse in Vancouver. Should have it in a few days.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
97oilhead
Gnarly Adventurer

My problem ended up being the flasher relay. You should have checked for a used one. A lot of the early K bikes used the similar relay, which also gives the option of adding a 4 way flasher switch. I found one for $30 shipped.
'95 R100R Classic
Old 06-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

You're taking your life in your hands if you ride in Vancouver traffic without functioning turn signals - as opposed to driving here and taking your life in your hands on regular days! I want this machine up and running as quick as possible, and therefore I jumped at a new one. I checked Ebay for some used items but I'm not sure if the K bike parts are interchangeable - there are part number differences. I should be good to go by my next days off.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

As A Further...

I did some cross checking on part numbers and it looks like a Hella 4DB009138-001 or a EAN: 4082300101188 are compatible for the GS. Trouble is, I can't seem to find a supplier online for these - must be to long since production of these bikes. Lots of info on relays at the Airhead Beemers Club website.

I don't have the emergency flashers so therefore I can't go for the K-bike specific relays that are on Ebay.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
97oilhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I did some cross checking on part numbers and it looks like a Hella 4DB009138-001 or a EAN: 4082300101188 are compatible for the GS. Trouble is, I can't seem to find a supplier online for these - must be to long since production of these bikes. Lots of info on relays at the Airhead Beemers Club website.

I don't have the emergency flashers so therefore I can't go for the K-bike specific relays that are on Ebay.
The K bike relay is to make your GS into a bike with 4 way flashers as per The Airhead site.

http://www.airheads.org/content/view/268/98/
'95 R100R Classic
Old 06-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's enough to keep the crap on my GS running that I don't need more things that can fail! Flashers would only be handy when this thing dies and leaves me stranded and I have to start hoofing it. I hope some bastard comes along sees the pretty flashing lights on this nice machine and steals it.......
Old 11-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well here we are a couple of years later. The relay was the problem and the new one fixed everything up quite nicely. I decided to open up the dead relay box and see what goes on inside that thing. It had a circuit board, and two coil mechanisms - very old school. I took the whole thing to work last year with a copy of the wiring diagram and gave it to one of the 'bench boys' to wring out - he saw it as a personal challenge. Nothing looked fried but he became suspicious of one solder joint - it looked fine but the continuity through it was intermittent. He gave it a re-solder and handed it back to me for testing - go put it back on the bike. And that I did today and it's working nicely. Moral of the story - don't throw out your broken bits.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Well here we are a couple of years later. The relay was the problem and the new one fixed everything up quite nicely. I decided to open up the dead relay box and see what goes on inside that thing. It had a circuit board, and two coil mechanisms - very old school. I took the whole thing to work last year with a copy of the wiring diagram and gave it to one of the 'bench boys' to wring out - he saw it as a personal challenge. Nothing looked fried but he became suspicious of one solder joint - it looked fine but the continuity through it was intermittent. He gave it a re-solder and handed it back to me for testing - go put it back on the bike. And that I did today and it's working nicely. Moral of the story - don't throw out your broken bits.
Good follow-up.... Interesting! Always kinda irked me that while most airhead owners are able to get replacement relays for $10 - $30 - we're stuck with a $100 plus black box that will probably be impossible to find in the not too distant future!

You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
I only subscribe to the Girl on an old motorcycle: Post your pics! thread for the comments!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote