User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
aldntn OP
Vgo

Oddometer: 273
Catoosa-Day Ride in a Hot Summer

A little time to ride (as single day) during a hot, hot summer. The method: take off in the morning a little after daybreak to allow the deer some time to get off the road.

The route: a quick run east on I40 to Crossville, TN so as to have more "fun time" riding. Even this part was wonderful; sailing along with car and truck traffic in the mild morning air.

The Destination: Catoosa Wildlife Management Area. I was there before during deer season; the Rangers might ask you to leave if you don't have a hunting license. I wasn't too worried about that, but I didn't have any blaze orange to wear. Being none too fond of being mistaken as a fast buck, I did not go.

But today it seemed like I was the only one there (I did ask for directions from the only people I saw in there). There are no road signs inside the area, so you need to study the Google Map or acquire an actual map of the area.

The original plan was to beat it back to the house before the massive afternoon heat set in, but the day and the ride was so great, I decided to go further east and ride the "Prison Road", TN 116. The western half of this road is mostly new blacktop and is a great ride. The eastern half has significant repair areas with loose stuff strewn about. I enjoy riding both kinds of roads.

This all took longer than I'd planned, so as I turned home I got out my cooling vest, loaded it up with water, and took TN 62 (another great road) to Monterey, TN where I hopped back on I40 west to the house.

A month ago I did another hot weather ride to the east and was stranded by a grounded stator (still a great ride). Today was just perfect.

Catoosa WMA and the Prison Road (pics)

09 DL650ABS

aldntn screwed with this post 07-29-2012 at 02:04 PM Reason: clarity
aldntn is offline   Reply With Quote