User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
deeznuts OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
F800GS VS Triumph Tiger 800XC

I am new to this whole thing and looking to get my first bike. I have been in love with the 800GS and have found my self wanting a Tiger 800XC.
Which bike is cheaper and costs less to maintain. I am also curious about accessories and cost of those as well.
I would really like to hear the pros and cons to both bike from experts like you all.........
deeznuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,605
In stead of posting this.... for the ummmmmm.... many'th time.... Use the search function and you will discover this have been covered Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany times..... Thanks...

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeznuts View Post
I am new to this whole thing and looking to get my first bike. I have been in love with the 800GS and have found my self wanting a Tiger 800XC.
Which bike is cheaper and costs less to maintain. I am also curious about accessories and cost of those as well.
I would really like to hear the pros and cons to both bike from experts like you all.........
Please... don't start this again !

Like all bikes it depends on what the rider needs and wants. Personally I just don't get on with the Tiger XC at all. I much prefer the engine in the GS. The Tiger has more top end, but only over 8,000 RPM, with a few simple mods the GS has a lot better pull down low, and the gear ratios (too close on the GS) are ridiculous on the Tiger with too tall a first gear and too low a top gear. The GS has better fuel economy, more offroad orientated geometry, more farkles, more ground clearance and a bolt on subframe. Supposedly the 800GS is cheaper to service as the Triumph has 50% more valves and spark plugs and it's harder to get at them.

The worst thing about the GS is the suspension ... particularly the front, do something with this and a few other things and you have a great all round bike. If you want a more road orientated bike the XC could be for you. I'm not anti Triumph .. I like the 1200 Explorer, I just dont get on with it's little brother. You should test ride them both ... we all like different things (luckily!).
Old 07-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,557
Here is the best comparison test I have seen to date. http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/features/2011AugTriBMW.pdf

One might be best for you, that does not make it THE best. Some people have difficulty with that.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
h2only
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I was in the same boat a few months ago and chose the F800gs, it just felt better to me, I used to road race and currently race enduros and harescrambles on CRF 450x. The BMW felt more like a street able offroad bike, where as the Tiger felt more like a street bike that could do some offroad. I wanted something closer to my 450x and the BMW fit that bill.
h2only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
I agree with h2nonly. I was debating both and got the F800GS. Thought it was more fun bike to ride and that was the bike calling me. Even though the dealers I visited were pushing the Tiger. I figured they just wanted to get rid of them.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
deeznuts OP
Adventurer

thanks for all of your thoughts. The comparison artical was very helpful. I will have to test drive them both and make a tough decession. By the way the article read i think i will like the XC better, looking for road with dirt option.....
Old 07-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Pabigwoods
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
my 2 cents

How tall are you? That could be a deciding factor right there. I was in the same boat as you. Rode both bikes. I am 6'-2". I felt a little cramped on the tiger. The 800gs felt roomier to me, i.e. comfort. So that's what I went with. Been happy with the choice so far.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Give me two weeks and I'll let you know how Gay Rob does on our trip starting this week. He' s odd man out with his XC amongst all our BMW but it looks good, after the new clutch at 1300km.

Twisted throttle makes some nice kit for it, that's 4 sho

Old 07-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,278
yo momma? will we meet again?
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
deeznuts OP
Adventurer

Im barely 5'9", im more worried about touching the ground than being cramped.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,278
don't worry you will. even if it isn't with both feet. I am 6' and I touch (uncharged) with the toes of my both feet. Charged I have my feet flat on the ground (oh and of course I'm riding a GS).
Anyway if you are afraid of hight you can order the lower seat for the GS or lower the suspensions (Touratech is proposing a nice kit) and gain about 5cm.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote