User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
djb_rh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
BMW G650X parts needed ASAP

So, I am dumb. I'm from NC, but am in Leadville, CO, for a month doing some big mountain bike race. I'm in an RV and trailered my BMW G650X and my buddies KLR650. The RV is setup and not easily broken down for transportation.

On my G650X I have the 2x2 Cycles bicycle rack and a small Givi top bag. Now, the 2x2 rack doesn't weigh much, and the small Givi is very light and had almost nothing in it. But we decided to do some exploring today and went over Mosquito Pass between Leadville and Fairplay. That went fine, it seemed, and we went through Fairplay and headed south and decided we'd take Weston Pass back over to 24.

But I'm just over 200 pounds. I had to firm up the rear suspension pretty far to keep from bottoming out, but that's left for a pretty harsh ride over the rocks. And we went over miles of VERY rocky "road." Apparently all that torque load out the back combined with all that vibration broke one of my four top rack bolts where they go into the rear subframe and one worked itself out and is lost somewhere on the trail, along with its bushing. The one that sheared off was still long enough to replace the one that worked out and three seemed better than two, so we did that (along with some impromptu spacers). I lightened the load in the Givi to nearly nothing, and we tried to take it easy.

Bad idea. That replacement bolt sheared off, too. Fortunately my buddy saw it happen this time (he was now looking for it) and we recovered the spacers (they came from my bike rack and I kind of needed them) along with what was left of the bolt. So now I have two bolts sheared off inside my subframe and I'm missing one spacer and two bolts. Oh, and the best part? It bounced around long enough the first time that it also broke the lens on my tail light.

I'm not completely sure yet, but there seems to be a chance, anyway, that the top rack is bent, but I won't know until it cools off and I can get to the bolt behind the muffler and take it the rest of the way off.

So at a minimum, I need:

Taillight
Four bolts
Four bushings

And I need that stuff SOON, because I really need to be able to haul my bicycle to finish my training for this mountain bike race over the next two weeks. So anyone got recommendations on which dealer might have this kind of stuff in stock and could overnight it to me here in Leadville? I'm hopeful the local hardware store will have EZ-outs. I do have a drill and most basic tools.

Looks like I have to take the stupid muffler off to get to that one dumb bolt, too. Of course. But hey, that riding was a BLAST. That little bike is like a sherpa...but obviously next time I'll take that bicycle rack off before I head into crazy riding areas.

--Donnie
Old 07-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
djb_rh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Okay, there's much good news.

The tail rack is not bent.

The front bolts and bushings and the rear bolts and bushings appear to each be their own size. But I have one of each still. So finding something to get me by in the meantime from some place local may not be a big deal. I still want to buy four new of each so I have spares and because the two bolts I have I'm sure are somewhat compromised.

The other good news is I had ordered a dual tail light upgrade from Touratech and never installed it. And miraculously, it made the trip. So I just need to install that and I'm good.

So the worst of this is probably going to be drilling and doing the EZ-Out thing.

Still, anyone got any pointers to a dealer that might actually have those bolts and spacers in stock? If not, I'm betting I can just measure what I have and get something close enough from McMaster-Carr. I just realized I also brought calipers.

--Donnie
Old 07-30-2012, 05:37 AM   #3
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,081
Don't bothet with an EZ out. Drill and tap the holes to 8mm.

I don't know the rack parts.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
djb_rh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

If I had been at home with a good selection of good drill bits as well as a good tap and die set, that might have been an option. But here? Not as much. Besides, I would have needed to enlarge the holes in the rack, and the way they are already at the edge of the tabs, I think that would have taken too much material out of them. The threaded part on the subframe sure had plenty of material for that, though!

But what we already did was to find something close enough to the one bushing we were missing (I thought we were missing one of each, but turns out we were only missing one short one). We were able to get some replacement bolts that aren't stainless steel at the local hardware store (so I'll need to replace those with SS later). So an ez-out set and a couple drill bits got one bolt out. The other I actually got out using a center punch and hammer to tap it around in a circle enough to unscrew it so that I could get some vice grip needlenose on it. Almost had the other one that way, but screwed up and got in a hurry and thought hitting it harder would turn it more. All that did was pound the punch in and squeeze the metal OUT and stick it in there better. Learned that lesson.

So I feel like this is strong enough to hold to haul my bicycle around on pavement or smooth gravel, and four bolts will take the bicycle rack and top box off for off-road playing. The Touratech dual taillight went on pretty smoothly, though their photocopied instructions leave a little to be desired. But anyway, I guess I'm good to go for now.

--Donnie