User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 04:01 AM   #16
pigeyes
bilge rat

Oddometer: 74
Laid back tours.

Yep, it was a great ride.look forward to a few more miles out that way and beyond.
I'd put some photos up but its new to me so dont expect any for a while.
cheers
Mick
Old 08-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #17
woopwoop OP
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,176
This Wednesday.....

This Wednesday 15th August

Kilcoy, Anduramba, Blackbutt, Moore, Elginvale.....

Couple of us are meeting at Kilcoy this Wednesday. Bitumen over to Harlin, mixed backroads down to Anduramba, then up through Nukinenda to Blackbutt. From there we go through the forest, a short bit of highway (+-10ks) to Moore, up Eastern Branch and through the back way past the old Elgin Vale forest staion to the Murgon-Kilcoy Road near Gallangowan and towards home.

About 120 ks from Kilcoy to Blackbutt (fuel) and probably about 150 or so after Blackbutt if you carried on back to Kilcoy from Gallangowan. A fair bit of it is new to me but I'm reasonably clear on it.

Same old story....just putting along, sightseeing etc.....have a look at the first post in this thread. Carry lunch.

So if you're interested, let me know here and be at Yowie Park, opposite the BP at Kilcoy to leave at 8.30 Wednesday.

woopwoop screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 01:46 AM
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #18
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,339
hey woop, do you have a gps?
if so, would you be interested in having a look up a foresty trail for my go pro? it is a trail that runs off amamoor rd and links up with ward rd at the top.
if not no worries
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #19
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,831
Woopwoop, just watch out for a couple of slight detours and gates towards the northern end of the Eastern Branch Rd. one goes around broken timber in an old cattle grid, it has a large drum in it now, and the other is right up the end.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #20
woopwoop OP
will think for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by digga1111 View Post
hey woop, do you have a gps?
if so, would you be interested in having a look up a foresty trail for my go pro? it is a trail that runs off amamoor rd and links up with ward rd at the top.
if not no worries
Sorry, no GPS. Ward Road that runs off Happy Valley Rd? If that's the one you mean, I haven't been in that specific way but that forestry right there has a maze of tracks from real easy to the other extreme. If you give me the co-ords of both ends I can google them and have a look next time I'm out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Woopwoop, just watch out for a couple of slight detours and gates towards the northern end of the Eastern Branch Rd. one goes around broken timber in an old cattle grid, it has a large drum in it now, and the other is right up the end.
Thanks for that, Cruz.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #21
woopwoop OP
will think for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopwoop View Post
This Wednesday 15th August

Kilcoy, Anduramba, Blackbutt, Moore, Elginvale.....

Couple of us are meeting at Kilcoy this Wednesday. Bitumen over to Harlin, mixed backroads down to Anduramba, then up through Nukinenda to Blackbutt. From there we go through the forest, a short bit of highway (+-10ks) to Moore, up Eastern Branch and through the back way past the old Elgin Vale forest staion to the Murgon-Kilcoy Road near Gallangowan and towards home.

About 120 ks from Kilcoy to Blackbutt (fuel) and probably about 150 or so after Blackbutt if you carried on back to Kilcoy from Gallangowan. A fair bit of it is new to me but I'm reasonably clear on it.

Same old story....just putting along, sightseeing etc.....have a look at the first post in this thread. Carry lunch.

So if you're interested, let me know here and be at Yowie Park, opposite the BP at Kilcoy to leave at 8.30 Wednesday.

Last call.

Just in case anyone else is interested for tomorrow.

One bloke's had to pull out but there's still two of us meeting at Kilcoy.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #22
woopwoop OP
will think for food

Another good day out.

Richard and I got away from Kilcoy a bit later than planned.....I nearly froze going up the Mary Valley this morning and had to have a cuppa and a bit of a thaw out, by which time it had turned into a beautiful day.

A few pics from this morning.

Funny Rucksta's thread going at the moment....this gate led us to a very civilised discussion on the merits of private property and gazetted roads etc.
There was some bloody good riding through there too. I'd love to tell you all the details, but I promised the farmer that if he let us go I'd keep it a secret.
Seriously, he was a very nice bloke who after a bit of a yarn, insisted that we carry on.

I've a funny feeling a different fate may await those who try their luck through this gate, though.

The centre of the Anduramba social hub.

Nukinenda Road (I think)

Waterhole Gully Road

Same spot, different direction. I hadn't ridden these roads before, but I'll definitely be back......excellent riding and I'd reckon there're heaps of other good roads in that area.

Emu Creek crossing on Waterhole Gully Road.

No pics after lunch. We were running a bit late so headed across from Blackbutt to Moore then north up Eastern Branch Road. Took a punt on the turnoff to the old Elginvale forest station (wasn't as clear on it as I thought I was, but luckily got it right) and carried on through to Gallangowan and routes home. 470 k's for me.

Thanks for a top day, Richard......did you get any photos?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:36 AM   #23
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,083
Thumb

Some nice images woop woop

I'm always fascinated when someone stumble across some of those old rural hubs, like "Anduramba" there...

All of the old CWA halls, tennis courts etc. that I've visited from time to time, scattered over parts of rural western NSW and Queensland... Many of them often found in (by comparison with our modern road network) in places that would be considered to be "off the beaten track" by todays standards. Always made me think of how differently the transport/distribution network of inland NSW/Qld must have been back when rail, bullock wagon or even (in the days of the Murray paddlesteamers) the river network were the norm.

You seem to be enjoying the XT 660 also, and putting her to good use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #24
AJC
Reformed Roadaholic

Oddometer: 56
looks like a great ride Dave, way better than spending the day in bed with the flu! I'll catch up with you on the next one for sure.
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #25
woopwoop OP
will think for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Some nice images woop woop

I'm always fascinated when someone stumble across some of those old rural hubs, like "Anduramba" there...

All of the old CWA halls, tennis courts etc. that I've visited from time to time, scattered over parts of rural western NSW and Queensland... Many of them often found in (by comparison with our modern road network) in places that would be considered to be "off the beaten track" by todays standards. Always made me think of how differently the transport/distribution network of inland NSW/Qld must have been back when rail, bullock wagon or even (in the days of the Murray paddlesteamers) the river network were the norm.
As it happens, we were discussing that sort of stuff a fair bit yesterday.
"Human geography" is one of my favourite subjects....probably best not to get me started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC View Post
looks like a great ride Dave, way better than spending the day in bed with the flu! I'll catch up with you on the next one for sure.
That'll be good, Andrew......and I'll be going back down there again sometime, as well.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #26
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,083
Thumb Then vs. now... adventurers all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopwoop View Post
As it happens, we were discussing that sort of stuff a fair bit yesterday.
"Human geography" is one of my favourite subjects....probably best not to get me started.
My grandad (RIP), my father and I also used to wander off into long discussions about this kind of topic... especially during some of our trips around the backblocks of western NSW together...

You may find this article of interest woop woop;

http://books.publishing.monash.edu/a...chapter06.html

Up until the 1960's or so, many of the larger sheep stations of rural and western NSW/Qld were "communities" in their own rights. I was always fascinated whenever I visited one of these places... Not by just the remoteness as such... but the why, how and where they came about settling in the locations they did.

As a matter of (slightly off topic - but kind of related) interest; my mum grew up on a pipeclay mining lease north of Mudgee out towards Ulan (due east of Gulgong) in the late 1950's and early 60's; called "Home Rule" (her father was the mine manager). In much the same way, it was it's own little settlement out in the sticks.

Home Rule was first established in the 1870's as a gold mining lease, but had a pretty short lifespan (about 1870 to 1880), but in that time it managed to establish it's own little settlement; with a general store, a butchers, a couple of hotels and a few other small business, bootmaker, blacksmiths etc.

Here's an old B/W photo I found online of the main street on the NSW Library archives. http://trove.nla.gov.au/result?q=sub...e+(N.S.W.)+%22

It wasn't until the 1920's or 30's that the mining lease was re-established, this time to extract the high quality white pipe clay (kaolin) that the area was known for. My grandfather - James Underwood - and his brothers ran the mine from this time through the 40's, 50's and 60's.

The youngest of five kids in the family, my mother still talks fondly of the memories she has of those (sometimes tough*) times; the school fete's, tennis days, cricket matches, yabby fishing in the dams etc. Although by outback standards, they were not that isolated... the small community had very much it's own little social calender and network.

* Dunno how many times as a kid growing up I heard the "We used to walk six miles - uphill both ways/rode a fixed wheel bicycle with solid rubber tires to school" story...

In those days (late 50's/early 60's) it was still nearly an hours drive or so - on an old corrugated dirt road - to get into town (Mudgee) for the weekly shopping tour of a Saturday morning... So life out at "Homerule" was to a certain extent, fairly removed to that of the "townies".

It's not that long ago (at least they had motor vehicles and such, to get to and from)... but the demographic of these regions (and further afield) must have been amazing back in the 1800's compared to today?

"Human Geography" eh...? Yeah, a fascinating topic and Australian history is full of many interesting examples, that somehow still seem tangible/relevant... not just pages in some dusty old book. That is one thing I miss about Oz... the sense of "living history" that remains in much of the outback/rural Australia...

Europe - by comparison - most of it (other than the old buildings there were'nt snotted during WWII) is found in museums and the like.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 12:30 AM
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:39 AM   #27
woopwoop OP
will think for food

Andrew (AJC) and I decided last minute to go out for a little ride today.

First stop....looking east from the small tower up near Little Baldy

Bella Creek Road

Sunday Creek Road

Booloumba Creek Road

Thanks mate, top day!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #28
cirell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Looks good Dave, is Sunday creek rd open to Charlie Morland?
cirell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #29
woopwoop OP
will think for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirell View Post
Looks good Dave, is Sunday creek rd open to Charlie Morland?

G'day Richard....no, still officialy closed.....we just turned right at the "Road Closed" sign and went Booloumba Creek......bit further but a nice ride.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:25 AM   #30
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,831
Good pics Woopwoop. Would be nice to have weekdays off again.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote