User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
14TLC OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Broken Oil filler neck ???

I was checking the oil level and to my surprise I noticed something looking like there is a piece missing from inside the oil filler neck. This is the first time am seeing this. I don't know if it was like that from new. For sure looks like there is a big chunk broken from inside. If that is the case, where is the piece . There is nothing unusual when the engine is working. Can someone please check and confirm whether there is something broken or this is normal design of the filler neck.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,787
Mine is the same. 2009 F650GS twin.
It's normal as far as I know.
Besides, with a chunk that big missing, you would have been hearing from it by now! LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14TLC View Post
I was checking the oil level and to my surprise I noticed something looking like there is a piece missing from inside the oil filler neck. This is the first time am seeing this. I don't know if it was like that from new. For sure looks like there is a big chunk broken from inside. If that is the case, where is the piece . There is nothing unusual when the engine is working. Can someone please check and confirm whether there is something broken or this is normal design of the filler neck.

Looks the same as both of our bikes (800 and 650 twin). Just checked. No worries.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
14TLC OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Thanks.That is a relief. If a piece of that size is inside for sure it will not go unnoticed. I was suspecting that maybe during the service something went wrong and the dealer did not tell me. Because how it looks and feels on touch, with those sharp, rough, uneven edges, I could swear that is broken.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 636
It looks kinda like they had to remove that part in order to give clearance to the clutch components right there...

The funny thing is that there is a pic around here somewhere, I think in the thread about changing out the cam chain, where the cam shaft looks like it had a chunk missing too. What kind of manufacturing practices are they using? Instead of a a machine, we're going to use TNT to remove that little piece....

As long as it rides good, I don't care
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14TLC View Post
I was suspecting that maybe during the service something went wrong and the dealer did not tell me.
Wouldn't be the first time. LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushman View Post
It looks kinda like they had to remove that part in order to give clearance to the clutch components right there...

The funny thing is that there is a pic around here somewhere, I think in the thread about changing out the cam chain, where the cam shaft looks like it had a chunk missing too. What kind of manufacturing practices are they using? Instead of a a machine, we're going to use TNT to remove that little piece....

As long as it rides good, I don't care
I have to say I was at first shocked when I saw the pictures of the camshafts with the "piece" missing...
I was about ready to loose my cool over it when I found out it had been done intentionally to aid in oiling of the camshaft to "rocker arm" (or whatever it's called) interface.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote