Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #31
Gronked OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
I haven't ridden a 1200GS yet and wonder if the boxer engine of the 1200GS is smoother than the F800GS at 75-90mph?
The 1200GSA is smooth and comfortable up until about 150km/h or 95mph, above that it gets vibey. Of course here in Australia, you simply can't ride at those speeds for sustained periods. Around 120km/h or 75mph it is just fine and will do it all day with plenty of 'go' left to pass stuff.

I have read a few complaints about the 800 being annoyingly vibey around the 110-120k or 70-75mph mark... which would presumably only get worse at higher speeds.
Gronked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:33 AM   #32
Heeso
Cairo's Evil

Oddometer: 66
i tried both and i can confirm that the f800GS is the perfect combination of everything you want,
it has proved to be really awesome on long distance rides, adventure rides, off road, sand dunes, in the city, heave traffic, very hot temperature weather, very cold weather, the most efficient combination of everything in one machine..

check out the videos for more insight http://heesopedia.com/video.html
Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #33
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronked View Post
The 1200GSA is smooth and comfortable up until about 150km/h or 95mph, above that it gets vibey. Of course here in Australia, you simply can't ride at those speeds for sustained periods. Around 120km/h or 75mph it is just fine and will do it all day with plenty of 'go' left to pass stuff.

I have read a few complaints about the 800 being annoyingly vibey around the 110-120k or 70-75mph mark... which would presumably only get worse at higher speeds.
Individual bikes may differ, but mine starts to get vibey at around 5,000 rpm. That is about 80 mph indicated. It does get progressively worse. I have used a 17 tooth sprocket off the smaller twin that raises the vibes another 5 mph. It is the gearing of choice for long freeway drones.

That does have an effect on acceleration, but not too much as the engine is torquey. With the new gearing, 5th gear is similar to 6th with the stock gearing. Since it effects over all gearing, you also notice it off road, but it still works well if your off road does not include slow speed plonking in steep terrain.

Another consideration is the mileage gets progressively worse as you increase rpms. At 65mph I average in the mid 50's, at 75mph it falls to mid 40's.

I notice the vibes primarily through the handle bars and bigger grips, foam cushions, and other means make it better. For a vertical twin, I think it is pretty smooth. The vibe frequency is higher than my old TDM.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #34
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Individual bikes may differ, but mine starts to get vibey at around 5,000 rpm. That is about 80 mph indicated. It does get progressively worse.
Not to get too sidetracked here, but 5000 to 5500 is the smoothest range on my engine. It is almost as if there are some harmonics going on because any engine vibes seem to completely disappear. It is noticeable enough that I sometimes ride a little faster than desired just to be in the sweet spot. That said, the overall smoothness of the engine is remarkably better than when the bike was younger. End hijack.

To the op
The polar opposites of opinions here just reinforce the fact that only some seat time on the F8 coupled with your own option of how it feels with your riding style is the answer.
I do see one advantage to your situation: Most of the possible outcomes result with moving to a lesser value bike, giving you the leftover to farkle to your liking.
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #35
CHAPIN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Hard to decide

I'm on a similar dilema. After I managed to get myself into two crashes 9 weeks appart the wife has stated that:
1. She is not riding with me any more.
2. I should downsize the stable.
3. I should see a shrink.

So I have been pondering on which bike to keep between the GSA and the F800GS...

I ride daily (not in the following 6 weeks or so due to latest crash LOL!) through heavy traffic, the F800 is the one I enjoy more for this duty. Truth be told I enjoy the GSA a bit more for the longer weekend rides, but perhaps now that I will be riding solo the F800 will suit me equaly well.

I see some people claim that the R1200GS is faster than the F800GS. It might me but not by a margin I can percive. Both are fast enough. Twisties? The GSA is better, but I promissed I would ride responsably so that means I will not push either from now on. Tank range? Well the GSA drinks a tanker but I never ride anywhere a gas station is not within 50 kms.

I can't make up my mind!!!!! Hard to decide between two amazing motorcycles.

Perhaps I should get rid of both and get a R1200R.

Oh... Yes, I know I was of no help to the OP

Chapin
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #36
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,210
I sold my '07 R12GS after 47,000 miles and downsized to a WR250R for Dualsporting. I can't begin to tell you how much more I smile on the WR than I ever did on the GS.

Of the two you've pointed out, I'd go F800. I had that choice (coulda bought new) and I went even smaller. Light makes Right ya know.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #37
ebnelson
Frozen rider

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb View Post
Not to get too sidetracked here, but 5000 to 5500 is the smoothest range on my engine. It is almost as if there are some harmonics going on because any engine vibes seem to completely disappear. It is noticeable enough that I sometimes ride a little faster than desired just to be in the sweet spot. That said, the overall smoothness of the engine is remarkably better than when the bike was younger. End hijack.

To the op
The polar opposites of opinions here just reinforce the fact that only some seat time on the F8 coupled with your own option of how it feels with your riding style is the answer.
I do see one advantage to your situation: Most of the possible outcomes result with moving to a lesser value bike, giving you the leftover to farkle to your liking.
My 2010 is incredibly smooth up to 4000rpm, 4000-5000rpm is fine but vibes noticeable, 5000-up have a lot of vibration. Above 5000rpm I have to remind myself that I'm on a two cylinder thumper!

I will also say that the f800gs is closer to the f1200gs than the g650x challenge. The x-challenge is very light in comparison. I bought the f800gs with the intent on selling the x-challenge but the x is way easier to ride quickly on jeep roads.
ebnelson is offline   Reply With Quote