User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
CJL00 OP
What's The Rush?

Oddometer: 483
Distance To Empty on 2014 Models

I have just upgraded my 2009 model F800GS to a 2014 model F800GS Adventure and am surprised at the way the distance to empty has changed. The old model used to give a pretty accurate distance to empty reading form around 150 kilometres out and several times it had read4 or 5 kilometres to empty before I had filled up or added some extra fuel.

The new model doesn't show anything until the actual fuel light comes on and then shows how many kilometres you have travelled since the light came on. Having just tested this out the light came on first going up a fairly long, steep and badly corrugated hill but once on the top of the mountain on a level smooth road the light went out. It came back on after about another 20 odd kilometres and proceeded to rack up the distance since the light came on.

This is really bloody useless, they might as well have fitted an ashtray. Does anyone know if this can be changed, either by the dealer or some other fiddling with the switches? I know the old model you could change what the Info button activated, between cycling through the Temperature and fuel use, etc. or you could have it control the dash trip meter. this was changed by pressing a couple of different buttons in the right sequence (I tried it once but didn't see the point and have since forgotten how to do it again).

Cheers
CJL00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
BMW moved away from the old style "miles to empty" display because they claim it was not always accurate and people would run out of gas before the reading showed '0', and then they would complain to BMW or have to involve BMW Roadside Assistance. So, BMW took the easy way out and redesigned it, effectively placing the responsibility on the rider to determine how far past the "light" they're willing to go.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedmarket View Post
Distance To Empty on 2014 Models
350 miles. Go for it!

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #4
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,768
I never trust a gauge. Especially the 800 GS gauge. The miles per gallon is pretty accurate. I check it to see how many miles per gallon I'm getting and then multiply that by 4 to see how far I can get. The tank holds 4.2, but never plan on getting the last .2 out of the tank. I have found that when I fill up my estimate is pretty accurate.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
CJL00 OP
What's The Rush?

I found the old bike's reading was pretty accurate. Why they changed it I do kinda understand but what they changed it to is utterly useless.

I did carry some spare fuel and ran the bike on a normal ride to see where it got me. Bike finally spluttered when I was in fifth gear doing about 80 kph. When I stopped it was still idling but I figured that was close enough. Total distance to empty - 545 km, distance from when fuel light came on was 89 km, in case anyone was interested.

The trip computer stated 4.9 litres per 100 km. that would mean the tank held 26.9 litres so something is wrong.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I have a 2014 F8GSA. Low fuel light came on, I pulled over and got gas and was only able to put 4.1 gallons in. I'm guessing I have a two gallon reserve. :)
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:09 AM   #7
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,475
I'm with you on that point, my distance to empty on my 2010 is pretty accurate too but apparently some of us are less lucky (another reason not to change my 2010 model ) the 800GS is not the only model affected. The 1200R (2013) didn't even have a fuel gauge
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
SQ Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
I found the old bike's reading was pretty accurate. Why they changed it I do kinda understand but what they changed it to is utterly useless.

I did carry some spare fuel and ran the bike on a normal ride to see where it got me. Bike finally spluttered when I was in fifth gear doing about 80 kph. When I stopped it was still idling but I figured that was close enough. Total distance to empty - 545 km, distance from when fuel light came on was 89 km, in case anyone was interested.

The trip computer stated 4.9 litres per 100 km. that would mean the tank held 26.9 litres so something is wrong.
I agree. My 09 is pretty damn reliable. I had no idea they ditched this.
SQ Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #9
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
but what they changed it to is utterly useless.
I agree that it's somewhat less useful, but over time you can figure out how to make best use of it. For me, the comfort level is up to about 40 miles past the "light", but I'll adjust it based on the type of driving I do.

My previous bike had no fuel gauge at all, so I am happy with what my F700GS gives me. :) It's all about a point of reference, I guess.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #10
ynnck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I have been logging my fuel stops and have never run more than 68 km with the reserve light on, I usually refuel at about 40-50km.

I have never "run her dry", but I think I have been close to it a few times, since I have been able to put more than the advertised 24l in the fuel tank on several occasions, up to 25,03l !

There's some confusion around the reserve light. The reserve of the F800GS (Adventure) is 4 liters according to the website, but the manual says that when the reserve light comes on, there's at least 2,7 liters left.

ynnck screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 07:58 AM
ynnck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #11
ag40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I have 2014 f800gsa, feul gage was to the last bar and I filled up 23 liters
Old 04-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #12
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I told the BMW I know about the light coming on and having 2 gallons left. He smiled. I said it's a brand new bike...he said..."and your point is?". :)

Seems that he repairs lots and lots of brand new BMWs. Jeeze, I didn't realize we were "beta" testing these bikes. :)
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #13
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
The shape of the under-seat tank means the float doesn’t start moving until the tank is about half full. So if you fill the tank just over half full, the distance to empty function would reset based on a full tank because there is no way to determine how much over halfway the tank was filled. It will correct itself once the fuel drops to half way of course but I suppose BMW was getting too many complaints from people who didn’t understand the mechanism of action so eradicated it via a software update. My 2012 didn’t have DTE (not sure if this was the first year without it) and I asked at the dealership if it could be reactivated but apparently not...

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #14
CJL00 OP
What's The Rush?

My 2009 model, when over half full, used to display the distance to empty with a "greater than" sign, like this "<157km". When it got to half way it then started counting down and the grater than sign disappeared. Again, very accurate.

It is interesting that the manual states you should only fill the bike up to the bottom of the (on my bike) red funnel inside the filler. I did that on the weekend and took note of how much fuel it has taken and then proceeded to fill it right up. I took an additional 2.1 litres, which is probably why there are some discrepancies over proper capacity. Having said that, on one occasion when I was able to pull into a service station when the distance to empty read 4 kilometres left, the bike took 16.4 litres, filled to the top. I wonder if I still had a litre or so left?

Anyway, the real reason for the post was to see if anyone knew of a way to change the new model's system back to a true distance to empty but it unfortunately appears not. Bugger, will just have to get used to the new system and work on getting fuel by about 50 kilometres after the fuel light comes on, that should be giving me about 30 plus kilometres safety.

Cheers and thanks for the replies
Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #15
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Having said that, on one occasion when I was able to pull into a service station when the distance to empty read 4 kilometres left, the bike took 16.4 litres, filled to the top. I wonder if I still had a litre or so left?
In which case your MTE display wasn't as accurate as you thought. :)