Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
K0ncept OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
What GPS to get for MY KTM 530 EXC?

Ok im sick of trying to read maps with bad eyes, im tired of being lost and pushing my KTM while out of gas, I thought I knew everything and had a good sense of direction, this turns out not to be the case!

I need something that I can figure out where I am, load up Trail Maps, and be able to read the damn thing, oh and I need it to survive crashes as well...

So where do I start? Im a complete GPS noob when it comes to bikes............ Help!

and here I am lost in the woods, on sumo tires looking for Pavement.

K0ncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 842
Montana or maybe the edge 800.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
I have used a GArmin 60cx on my 08 450 excr since I bought. Works very well. I have it hardwired to the battery.

I am getting ready to buy a Montana mainly because the screen is brighter and my 60 has been acting a little flakey lately.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
The Montana has a bigger screen than most others, current model so it will have the longer lifecycle. 60 is a nice unit but has a small screen (since you mentioned having trouble reading maps), discontinued.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,281
First you need to learn more about GPS features and determine which features you need and will use.

Learn about the difference between Routes and Tracks and about Navagating.

Current most popular units are hand helds 60/76/62/78 on DS bikes and Montanna on Adv bikes.
Looks like you are in the middle.

A GPS is just a tool, you need to know what tool you need for the job at hand.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,913
i have the Garmin 76csx and the older Garmin 376c and love them both.

i think the 76 is on sale somewhere on the internet... yup. i found it on West Marine for 199.99. buy this one. i've had mine for going on 6 years. it's bullet proof.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...A#.UBgXaCJUbBk

RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
i have the Garmin 76csx and the older Garmin 376c and love them both.

i think the 76 is on sale somewhere on the internet... yup. i found it on West Marine for 199.99. buy this one. i've had mine for going on 6 years. it's bullet proof
Sale price at WestMarine is $150 very good buy, but what does he want/need not what you like?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
K0ncept OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks a millio for the info, makes it easy when you know someone has used the unit and knows what someone needs :) Thanks!!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...A#.UBgXaCJUbBk

I should have it soon!!

and is this is decent ram mount?

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-S...s=garmin+76csx
Old 08-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0ncept View Post
Yes, as far as I'm concerned. Have had that one for several years and the mount/GPS (76CSx) are still OK after several spills and quite a few off-road kms.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
K0ncept OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Yes, as far as I'm concerned. Have had that one for several years and the mount/GPS (76CSx) are still OK after several spills and quite a few off-road kms.

Perfect, needed something just like you guys pointed out, something where I can load specific maps for where im riding, be able to tell WHERE im going lol, very nice unit, im almost ready to pull the trigger, and I like the one with the altimiter and electric compas, but im not sure I will need them.. But my 2nd hobby is hiking/fishing outdoor's at its best... So im thinking let me see if I can get my Girlfriend to hook me up for my upcoming Bday! lol

I just ordered new gearing and a new seat, those came first before my new GPS....

Again thanks for all the help....
Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

I wouldn't worry about the altimeter/compass, get the 76Cx. The compass is quite fussy about needing the unit to be held level. It also needs to be recalibrated every time you replace the batteries. The altimeter works best (but still not perfect by any stretch of the imagination) if you calibrate it at a known elevation. The calibration only holds "true" until you turn the power off. Using the altitude the unit calculates from the satellites is probably close enough (someone else please chime in on this opinion!)

I'm using 2700 mAh NiMH rechargeables that are good for about two fairly long days.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
K0ncept OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
I wouldn't worry about the altimeter/compass, get the 76Cx. The compass is quite fussy about needing the unit to be held level. It also needs to be recalibrated every time you replace the batteries. The altimeter works best (but still not perfect by any stretch of the imagination) if you calibrate it at a known elevation. The calibration only holds "true" until you turn the power off. Using the altitude the unit calculates from the satellites is probably close enough (someone else please chime in on this opinion!)

I'm using 2700 mAh NiMH rechargeables that are good for about two fairly long days.

That makes the decision even easier lol.... No need to drop the extra dough then at all..... Thank YOU!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,437
I LOVE ADV!

I'm just shopping for a GPS set up for my KTM 530 EXC.....and what thread do I find??

I like the idea of the Montana, but NOT for the $$$ they want for it!

You guys are awesome! Thanks!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
I got a Montana a week or so ago. I don't have the guts to put it on my KTM for trail rides yet.

On the last mountain single track trail ride, I had three crashes that were hard enough that my 60cx popped out of its cradle.

Maybe at 66 it's time to stop trying to be 22 again.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I got a Montana a week or so ago. I don't have the guts to put it on my KTM for trail rides yet.

On the last mountain single track trail ride, I had three crashes that were hard enough that my 60cx popped out of its cradle.

Maybe at 66 it's time to stop trying to be 22 again.
Lol! Yeah, I know what you mean.... I need to ride to the trail head by the road, so want the unit to give turn-by-turn, and the be able to switch to tracks and be able to follow a track until it ends, and then be able to route home turn-by-turn.....and it would be great to be able to load a bunch of tracks, and of course have it hard wired to the bike.....

The Montana looks great (if a little big) but its just so much cash for a unit that's going to love such a hard life....

Choices, choices.....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote