Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
emacs OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
TAT - difference between Sam and gpsKevin

Hello everybody,

I'm from Germany and thinking about riding the TAT in 2014 or 2015. While I'm reading a lot in the Web I'm a little confused by the different offers of tracks and maps:

There is the "inventor" of the TAT, Sam Correo, and his web site http://www.transamtrail.com/

And there is gpsKevin, who offers tracks and digital maps for free and has figured out a coast to coast route, here https://sites.google.com/site/gpskev...-america-trail - he refers to Sam Correo, but my questions are:

Is the route from Tennessee to Oregon the same?

Are these guys in competition, or do they work togethert?
emacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Beardoge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Use GPS Kevins tracks, there the same but he doesn't charge for the use of free public roads....
Beardoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 13,264
It depends upon how you feel about compensating someone for doing all the tedious legwork for you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Yeah they are just public roads, I'm sure you guys can figure out as good of a route across the country as Sam did........

Just buy his maps, and be done with it.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
emacs OP
n00b

If the maps from gpsKevin offers the same routes, but are easier to handle, then I think its a good idea to use his digital maps and buy the printed map from Sam too. 'Cause I don't want to betray Sam - he's spent a lot of time for figuring out the TAT.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 188
Like was mentioned earlier; depands on whether you think it is worth it to have had someone go out and find all the dead ends, non-existant roads, private drives, gas stops, etc. , for you so you can just go out and ride.
Just searching the maps and finding ridable tracks in my little area is a chore. After watching numerous videos and reading quite a few ride reports from the TAT, I can only imagine the effort that Sam put into this was tremendous. Looking at it as "paying to use public roads" is a little short-sighted. You are, afterall, receiving extremely accurate and detailed maps and charts. Its not like your simply paying a toll to ride.
On the other hand; I get the whole "open-source" angle gpsKevin is putting out, and links to with the TedTalk video. However, Sam isn't a multi billion dollar corporation fleecing people and dirty-dealing. He is just a guy with a product to sell.
Search your conscience and decide whats best

BTW: would you really want to come all the way over here to ride it with just a gps track?

BigShooter screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 08:47 AM
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
TAT tracks

By the way -

Sam offers the TAT route in track form for those who don't want to go through the effort of creating GPS routes or tracks.

I created my own routes from Sam's roll charts and in the process learned a LOT about what I was facing and the terrain I would be riding through. It does take a fair amount of time, but you learn much about the GPS in the process, and much about the areas....

Gas, Food, Lodging information is not in the track files, but is in the roll charts. Spending time with maps or ride reports on here will help you with those issues.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Kevin's TAT not the same

I just looked at Kevin's TAT tracks and there are several sections in there that are NOT the TAT as sold by Sam.

Some of them are the old versions of the TAT, some are entirely different.

Kevin's start in North Carolina on entirely made up stuff and goes to Jellico TN - the old starting spot that has been changed to reduce the amount of paved roads in TN and MS.

Checked a few places in Colorado and Utah, and he is way off in many areas.

Just so you know....
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
emacs OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
By the way -

I created my own routes from Sam's roll charts and in the process learned a LOT about what I was facing and the terrain I would be riding through. It does take a fair amount of time, but you learn much about the GPS in the process, and much about the areas....

Which digital maps did you use for creating the routes? Garmin? Open Street Map?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,272
I think it is nice that there are two routes to choose from. Some of the TAT is a little on the lame side in terms of being challenging. BTW I rode a KLR on the TAT.

I have done a lot of riding in the west and I feel there are nicer rides in some areas than the TAT.

Also I have no hangup about not having ridden the true TAT if I chose to deviate from it in places.

OTH some of the riding in Utah and Nevada is on some pretty primitive roads. I think the average person would have had a hard time finding them. So hats off to Sam for finding and including these.

As to creating routes and tracks, I didn't do it for the TAT. A corider did. But I do a lot of track creation for these types of rides. I normally use Garmin City Navigator, but at times use Topo 100 and Topo 24k.

If you are new to this, I strongly recommend creating tracks from the routes and do the actual riding and navigating using the tracks or at the very least have the tracks as a backup when routing fails on your GPS unit.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
ktm690jeff
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Come On Now!

I'm sure Sam is a really good guy, most guys that ride dirt bikes are. But come on now- Sam did not INVENT the TAT! . In other words he charges a toll to ride on land he does not own. He just logged it on maps, wrote about it, & rode it on his bike and is now selling it. I'm sure his intentions are good and he put lots of work into making his TAT available. But the truth is he did not invent it!

With that said, I'm sure you could have fun riding either Kevin or Sam's TAT. As far as accuracy- I thought this was Adventure Rider website. What is up with your Adventure? Are you afraid you are going to get lost?
ktm690jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
By the way -

Sam offers the TAT route in track form for those who don't want to go through the effort of creating GPS routes or tracks.

Gas, Food, Lodging information is not in the track files, but is in the roll charts. Spending time with maps or ride reports on here will help you with those issues.
I can speak first hand that his GPS tracks weren't reliable for me.. there were few missing gaps in his tracks in CO, UT, and NV. I had to slab when I arrived at the missing gap.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm from Germany and thinking about riding the TAT in 2014 or 2015. While I'm reading a lot in the Web I'm a little confused by the different offers of tracks and maps:

There is the "inventor" of the TAT, Sam Correo, and his web site http://www.transamtrail.com/

And there is gpsKevin, who offers tracks and digital maps for free and has figured out a coast to coast route, here https://sites.google.com/site/gpskev...-america-trail - he refers to Sam Correo, but my questions are:

Is the route from Tennessee to Oregon the same?

Are these guys in competition, or do they work togethert?
Hallo, emacs; Bin Deutsch Amerikaner!

Maybe Sam didn't invent the TAT but wouldn't you say he created it? Spend a lot of time mapping it since, then went back and corrected or diverted routes due to environmental changes; paved roads; etc. He went out there to make corrections and improvements again and again while others simly rode it and documented it via GPS collections! It's a lot of work...we have all appreciated his dedicated work since then. Now comes along someone who rode it and givng it away gratis... sure it's your choice and you are free to chose of who you want, BUT please do not paint Sam Correo in a different light.

As for me, I got all his maps, roll charts, etc. - tracked or routed all his maps onto a GPS. Oh, Yes, I learned a lot mapping routes. "Tracks" for constant curved roads, field crossings, etc. but instant "routes" for long straightways or existing State roads where one cannot get lost; just follow the road. All these were transferred to the GPS... followed! Maps and roll charts were on standby atop my tank bag and roll chart holder. Roll charts were hardly consulted. Were there discrepancies, oh, sure... mostly the fault of my own for having mis-read some of his maps then transferred to the GPS.

My GPS created "tracks" and "routes" were very reliable up to Lake City, Co. where I ceased riding the TAT. I would rather have a paper map/roll chart back up to the GPS only in case your GPS goes on the blink or your crash.

My rides accessibility was at times somewhat "limited" all due to this: but had huge amounts of fun doing it.

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #14
Billp1301
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Luddites............

"19th Century English textile artisans who protested against newly developed labour saving machinery". History tells us they lost!!!!

Me, I go with progress. I go GPS everyday. Why would I want to study paper when Google have spent billions developing a superb worldwide 3D model that lets me see where GPSkevin will be sending me on my TAT ride (call it Trans America Route if it makes you feel better) Then when you get home using your GPS you can see where you went, how long you stopped, why you went right / wrong etc etc etc.

Outer banks North Carolina to Oregon off road. Thanks Kevin. Spot on all the way. Only 1 barred route!!

Me I use paper in the toilet.
Billp1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billp1301 View Post
"19th Century English textile artisans who protested against newly developed labour saving machinery". History tells us they lost!!!!

Me, I go with progress. I go GPS everyday. Why would I want to study paper when Google have spent billions developing a superb worldwide 3D model that lets me see where GPSkevin will be sending me on my TAT ride (call it Trans America Route if it makes you feel better) Then when you get home using your GPS you can see where you went, how long you stopped, why you went right / wrong etc etc etc.

Outer banks North Carolina to Oregon off road. Thanks Kevin. Spot on all the way. Only 1 barred route!!

Me I use paper in the toilet.
Of course, I go with GPS all the time too..many did. Some traditionalists went 100% paper map/roll chart, etc. and I applaud them. It was part of their Adventure, no cheating..! Paper..well, gets you a more understanding of the terrain, mapology, geography. If you just want to zoom through and claim "I did the TAT" then of course go GPS whole hog where Sams maps have been loaded into the GPS!

We're also talking here about preserving/supporting Sam Correos TAT creation for which he worked so diligently hard making it possible to run across the US from his home state via dirt sans (then) GPS. He and only HE created it while others are trying to defund, repeal or disect it. Not nice!!

Don't worry Sammy, you got a huge following and thank you for all you've done for us real TAT'ers.

cheers...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 12:12 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote