User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
jpr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Planning a ride from VA to FL in OCT

As a rookie in adventure riding, I am all ears when it comes to tips and recommendations.

With that being said, what type of gear should I be considering in taking up there in October? My ride is a Tiger 800xc which I outfitted with 3 seahorse 720 cases for camping gear and for clothe, I am taking this bag http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-20-...0050/203840275.

What kind of weather should I be expecting?

any tips?
'02 Kawasaki KX250 (Sold)
jpr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
You're in events, not trip planning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
warrior1677
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
As a rookie in adventure riding, I am all ears when it comes to tips and recommendations.

With that being said, what type of gear should I be considering in taking up there in October? My ride is a Tiger 800xc which I outfitted with 3 seahorse 720 cases for camping gear and for clothe, I am taking this bag http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-20-...0050/203840275.

What kind of weather should I be expecting?

any tips?
be prepared for wet underwear, i didn't see anything about weather/water proof zippers.

try this http://www.rei.com/product/786439/se...-sack-xx-large

"Ladies, if your man puts straight gas in a chainsaw, you have a girlfriend." gtn
warrior1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
jpr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I actually bought the bag after I took a ride with a friend that has it and noticed that all his clothe was entirely dry when we got to our destination.

I rained 1/2 of the way up from S. Florida to Jacksonville.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,865
location in Miami,FL but going from VA to FL? confusing! are you going down or up or are you already down?
If your asking does it rain lots in VA in Oct. the answer is yes-bring rain gear, esp latter part of month
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
jpr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
location in Miami,FL but going from VA to FL? confusing! are you going down or up or are you already down?
If your asking does it rain lots in VA in Oct. the answer is yes-bring rain gear, esp latter part of month
haha sorry for not being too specific. The ride is in OCT. We are riding from Miami, Fl to Sanford, FL where we then jump on the AMTRAK AutoTrain that takes us to Lorton, VA. Leave Saturday Oct 11 arriving on Sunday the 12th at 9:30 am.

From there we are planning on riding down all the scenic roads and stopping in Asheville to visit my uncle for a day or two and then stopping again in Northern Georgia to stay for another 2 days in a friends property.

I just mentioned the Highlight stops but we are planning on taking 9 days total. Weather dependent we might camp or Hotel if need be. Starting on Oct 11 and arriving to Miami on the 19th.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Look here for roads to ride in S VA,etc. base is Marion,VA area on I-81: www.visitvirginiamountains.com
Look at top for "trails"-these are some of the best riding in the USA-not so much for "on road racers but curves & scenery. Plenty of nice places to either camp or live it up. Nice family vaction country in VA,WV,NC,TN,KY ride all these states in the same day or so.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 04-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #8
jpr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Look here for roads to ride in S VA,etc. base is Marion,VA area on I-81: www.visitvirginiamountains.com
Look at top for "trails"-these are some of the best riding in the USA-not so much for "on road racers but curves & scenery. Plenty of nice places to either camp or live it up. Nice family vaction country in VA,WV,NC,TN,KY ride all these states in the same day or so.
Thank you for the tip. I'll be taking those in consideration when we get together to plan out the entire route and camping sites.

Ride safe!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #9
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
if no hurricaine brewing, i would plan for dry but satill take rain gear.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
jpr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
if no hurricaine brewing, i would plan for dry but satill take rain gear.
Thanks!. Yeah I always carry my rain gear with me so that is going for sure.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #11
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,188
Head West, young man!

When you get off the train you must IMMEDIATELY head west from the skanky I-95 corridor and get up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Mile Marker zero is where I-64 crosses the Blue Ridge and it's a glorious ride south for 500 miles - no stop signs, almost no traffic, lots to see and do along the way and just off the BRP. At MMZero there's a guy who has a kettle corn concession and it's the finest I've ever had, ridden up there many times just to stock up .

Oh yeah, there's some pretty nice scenery and curvy roads up there too.

I think this one is from August, looking into the Shenandoah Valley -

October is purty, but watch for wet leaves on the corners:

Sounds like a fun excursion! I like the idea of riding the train up and touring back.

Doug
Old 04-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
jpr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Can't wait for this trip. I will be my longest motorcycle trip yet and also the first time at some of those states that we will be driving through.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:40 AM   #13
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,188
There are a zillion miles of great roads through Virginia, West Virginia, North and South Carolina, Georgia, etc. but I appreciate the BRP for it's peaceful nature. I live outside of Lexington, Virginia and work from home most of the time but frequently have to travel to my office in Roanoke. The most direct route, which I usually take in the morning for expediency and because traffic isn't too bad at 6:00AM, is about 60 miles of twisty back roads with a short a stint on Gawd-awful I-81 to get me into the city. On the way home in the afternoons, though, I take "The Long Way Home" and hop on the BRP at Roanoke and ride up to Hwy 60 at Buena Vista to get off, over 80 miles on the Parkway. I can't tell you how many times I've ridden that on a gorgeous weekday afternoon and seen maybe 10 cars and 100 motorcycles in 1.5+ hours of riding. It will be total chaos on the highways down in the Valley and almost devoid of traffic up on the BRP. There are 100's of sights to see just a few miles off the Parkway too, and the roads that cross the BRP East to West are amazingly twisty and scenic but typically have significantly more traffic. It's a great place to ride and I think you'll have a blast.

If you like brew pubs and excellent beer, Nelson County in Virginia has a huge number of breweries. They are located just off the BRP to the East and south of I-64 (south of Charlottesville). There is no end of great beer and good food to be found along the Brew Ridge Trail :

http://brewridgetrail.com/

I don't ride to drink, but seriously enjoy a good beer or two along the way. If you are passing and want excellent food and a great beer this would be a great start to your trip after you spin the few miles up Highway 250 (it parallels I-64) to MMZero to stock up on kettle corn.

Speaking of I-64, it is the one Interstate in this region that isn't too bad to ride and make some time on (you can cruise unimpeded at 75 mph most places). For some reason there is typically very light tractor-trailer rig traffic on that highway while I-95 and I-81 will literally be choked with the big rigs. Sometimes I-81 is like a train; you get on in a clump of trucks and get off 50 miles later without having been able to move beyond that clump. Avoid I-81 at all costs is the message here , there are many better options unless you are travelling very early in the morning and want to make some time. That highway scares me.

Lunch stop on the BRP, ~MM30:

There's a great little biker hangout called Tuggle's Gap Restaurant near Floyd, VA (MM165 on the BRP). We stopped in last August and were the only people there because it was ferking FREEZING! We had ridden down to Boone, NC on the BRP (MM290, fantastic place to visit) for a long late-August get-away weekend of staying in a B&B, touring the area, and attending some craft fairs. We left Boone at about 10AM in a light drizzle and it just got colder and colder all the way north. By the time we got to Floyd it was totally socked in with fog and drizzling, maybe 45 degrees, so we stopped at Tuggle's Gap for hot coffee and warm food. We still had ~180 miles to go so it was a nice break, the folks were fantastic and let us dry our gear while we ate. Normally the place is packed with motorcycles on a "summer" Sunday afternoon but we had the place to ourselves because of the weather.

My wife had on so much gear she could barely move, but she was warm, dry, and happy (I could hear her singing in her helmet as we rode ) even though it was kinda miserable. It had been glorious mid-70's for the three preceding days. Since the weather here can be quite variable in the late Fall we usually wear mesh riding gear with warm liners and rain gear that fits over the mesh gear to block wind or rain as need be. We also carry light weight gloves and heavier ones if it gets cold. It can be 80 degrees one day and 45 the next, so that combo works well for us.

Anyway, good luck being patient waiting the next 6 months for your first extended tour!

Doug
Old 04-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #14
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
Can't wait for this trip. I will be my longest motorcycle trip yet and also the first time at some of those states that we will be driving through.
You ought to be excited as you've chosen one of the best spots on earth to ride @ the optimum time of year! I hope you get one of those special, clear BRP days(per above) to enjoy.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #15
jpr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I really appreciate you guys taking the time recommend routes and spots worth visiting.

Yeah the wait is killing me but at the same time it creates more and more excitement.

I also requested all thanksgiving off and the GF wants to visit Spain. I am trying to convince her to (motorcycle) road trip it but she is not too welcoming of that idea. She does not travel light.............