User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
I<3Honda OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Buying an American bike in Guatemala

I came to guatemala to study spanish for a few months and the other day I was making it known that I was jonesing for a bike and I came on an incredible deal. I met a group traveling from Washington state heading south, and because of time constraints one of the group is flying back. This was going to be a one way trip for his 2000 Katana 750 with 80000 that he owned since new, he planned to leave the keys in it on the street when he was done because selling it here is almost impossible due to import red tape. So now now I (a Colorado resident) have the chance to buy it for song and ride it around guate and possibly home. What are the paperwork hassles going to be with me not being able to register in my name in CO without being there in person to get the VIN inspection? Can I get across Central American borders with a bill of sale and his license plates? Would it work best to just write a rental or permission to use contract? What are my options? Thanks for the help -Aaron
I<3Honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,370
I have no idea, and although I'm sure someone here does I would suggest that you ask over at Horizons Unlimited. They have a section dedicated to this kind of stuff
Old 12-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
vicmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
I know this is a bit late, but if you can register the bike in Colorado, overnight the title to a family member with a copy your ID, get it registered, have them overnight it back to you, problem solved.
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
Gabeslaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
I have not done this personally but here is something to look for on the ADV site I read. Take the guy to a notary to sign affidavit that heven gives you authority to drive his bike. Copies of everything, registration , insurance, ect. Drive the bike around and back home as if he loaned it to you. With the bill of sale and title back home register it. I think your main concern is crossing borders and being stopped. Jump on the deal and make it happen. Search querying should be using some else's bike in other countries
IBA #59853
2014 Hoka Hey Challenger
American Legends Rider
Rider & Writer for Wheels on the Road
Gabeslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:00 PM   #5
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabeslaw View Post
I have not done this personally but here is something to look for on the ADV site I read. Take the guy to a notary to sign affidavit that heven gives you authority to drive his bike. Copies of everything, registration , insurance, ect. Drive the bike around and back home as if he loaned it to you. With the bill of sale and title back home register it. I think your main concern is crossing borders and being stopped. Jump on the deal and make it happen. Search querying should be using some else's bike in other countries
Everything in this post is wrong.

It would be easier and cheaper to ride it two-up to Texas and do the sale there, than to try to do the paperwork in Guatemala.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote