User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
gooseofdeuce OP
aLandBro

Oddometer: 83
Blue Ridge Parkway headed north

I'm Planning a few days in July to take ride some/most/all of the blue ridge parkway. I'll be heading north on my ride and am planning on staying at the Blueridge Motorcycle Campground on my first night. After that i'm lost as to where else to stay. Any advice on any other motorcycle camground that aren't gonna price rape me?
Old 05-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #2
Groovemaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Camping

I just rode that way a couple weeks ago from Ashville to Blowing Rock area. On the parkway there seemed to be lots of state camp grounds, so I would think you'll find a place pretty easy. Not sure on prices but there was a lot of them.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:49 AM   #3
i4bikes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovemaster View Post
I just rode that way a couple weeks ago from Ashville to Blowing Rock area. On the parkway there seemed to be lots of state camp grounds, so I would think you'll find a place pretty easy. Not sure on prices but there was a lot of them.
State and Fed. Decent food at those with visitor centers. I don't know of any open gas stations on the parkway anymore. You'll need to plan fuel stops more than camp spots.
i4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #4
docm26
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
First night- BRMC
next night- Willville MC Camp- exit at mm 177.7
docm26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:15 AM   #5
Turtletownman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Two weeks ago, the parkway was closed at 421. The website gives status-it would be wise to check before you leave.
At the first visitors center or the park headquarters if heading north, get a book with gas information. I know there is a Walmart with gas at Spruce Pine (N C minerals museum exit turn right).
Next campground on the parkway is Crabtree Falls. These are federal campgrounds with water but no showers. Willville at Meadows of Dan VA(just south of Mabry Mill) is another excellent motorcycle only campground. High Country between Boone and Wilkesboro is nice but hard to find.
Little Switzerland has a lodge with a driveway on the parkway. About $90 a night.
The section from Cherokee to Wagon Road Gap-Highway 278-has most of the tunnels, the highest point and I think the best scenery on the entire road.
Parkway is normally comfortable riding temperature with little commercial traffic with no stop signs or stop lights. Speed limit is 45 or less.
Bob
Turtletownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:40 AM   #6
apexal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I just did the Blue Ridge Parkway down and back two weeks ago. The National Park campgrounds are inexpensive and very nice. And all the ones that I stayed at had bear boxes so no worries about bears or mice getting into you food.

2014 R1200GS Racing Red

2014 KLR650 White & Black
apexal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #7
4PawsHacienda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Sounds like a fun ride. Don't worry so much about camping and gas along the BRP. It is true that directly on the parkway camping and food/fuel are very limited but just off the parkway there is plentiful camping at numerous places, both private campgrounds and many many VA state parks.
As a previous poster suggested Willville is a good motorcycle campground. Meadows of Dan area, good place.
Another decent bike campground around mm246 of BRP, can't remember if that is hwy18 or hwy16.
I'd suggest riding leisurely, enjoy the road for what it is and don't sweat camping until an hour before.
Explore some side roads, most are much better than the BRP.
I'd suggest riding to Hungry Mothers State Park via hwy 16 and camp there, or Laurel Highlands. Not on the BRP but much better camping and riding.
New river trail state park at Foster Falls good, especially on a hot day.
If you don't get off the BRP you'll miss a lot of good riding.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #8
mb289
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Two weeks ago I rode the entire BRP and Skyline, starting in Cherokee. BRMC and Willeville are nice but I prefer the national forest campgrounds due to hiking trails. I try find a campsite by 3pm and spend a few hours hiking. I camped at Pisgah, Rocky Knob and Loft Mountain. Pisgah and Loft Mountain do have showers and food. Although I didn't camp there, Peaks of Otter is nice too. It's a great trip with lots of good scenery.
mb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:03 PM   #9
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,473
BRMC is great. Just spent the weekend there.

Take it easy on BRP. Costly speeding tickets and rolling road block in the form of cruisers and cars.

It can be 80 and sunny off the mountains and 65 and wet above.

It's a great topic for discussion, but the participants need to act mature.

scfrank screwed with this post 05-31-2015 at 05:08 PM
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:10 PM   #10
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,639
I'm planning to do this sometime in July too. I've ridden the VA half a few times, but not the NC half. I'd like to manage the whole thing this time.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #11
gooseofdeuce OP
aLandBro

Oddometer: 83
Due to my daughter not having summer xamp this week I may have to limit my trip to 2 nights. First night I think will be riding up moonshiner28/hell bender or whatever it's called now to deals gap. Camp there and ride the gap and cherehola skyway. Next day head to BRMC via the parkway and explore some gravel.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #12
ZugBug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I was down there last month and if it fits with your plans Sherando Lake CC is pretty nice.It's at about mile 10 or 15 just off the BRP to the west. Willville Motorcycle Campground is always a cool place to stay. Nice communal campfire to toss back a couple of cold ones with your fellow two wheeled travelers. And yes be ready for wet and chilly. Have a good trip.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #13
mb289
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I'll second Sherando Lake. Stayed there awhile back and found it to be a nice campground.
mb289 is offline   Reply With Quote