Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 03:24 AM   #136
straight_8
SM rims for KTM wanted

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141 View Post
I have vacation starting Sept. 18th. Would it be to late in the season to make the trip? Would leave St. louis and blast east to do it CCW. It would be a solo trip, and have 14 days to do the 6500 smiles. I would be riding my new KTM 990.

Smitty
You "should" be fine although you may have a morning with some snow, there is some frost on the ground this morning but will go up to 22C this afternooon in Goose Bay.
02 640 Adventure (Airbox, carb, exhaust modded)
07 Gas Gas ec300 (street legal, scott damper)
straight_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #137
straight_8
SM rims for KTM wanted

Oddometer: 74
Question TLH riding buddy?

Anyone headed towards Newfoundland from Goose bay next Saturday Sept 7th ?

I'm headed from home base in Goose to Deer lake to meet up with my Dad then head towards St-Johns. Could be nice to pair up with someone driving through

02 640 Adventure (Airbox, carb, exhaust modded)
07 Gas Gas ec300 (street legal, scott damper)
straight_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #138
bumsted
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
CCW June This Year

I give this post the breath of LIFE!

Since this post covered 2 years of TLH, mine as well add a third.

I'm planning on doing the loop this summer late June on a Dakar, and am hoping beyond hope that someone knows some magical route that is a little (lot) more fun than a black top route with dirt patches. Maybe a more realistic request is did anyone try any of the little offshoots from the road they liked? I know there are a few mentioned on here like Muskrat Falls. I'm more interested in pretending my Dakar is a dirt bike then pretending it is a goldwing. I've also heard that parts of the old gravel parallel the black top, but I haven't seen such in any good wright ups.

My current route is going to be the Boundary Waters along the bottom side of Superior taking mainly trails and snowmobile routs into Michigan through the res, then the north side of the lakes to the Rock with a stop in Quebec, dick around on the Rock for a while, then the TLH loop, then a long haul to Chisasibi and get the wheels in the Hudson, then to ... who knows. Depends on what month it is. Maybe Washington, maybe Cabo at the bottom of the Baja, maybe the trip is over.

Also I'm not use to black flies... with a lack of tall trees just cook a ways down wind and leave all your food there, and then hope they just don't get into it? Maybe burn mosquito bombs in the end of the fire? I'm not concerned with them trying to join me in the hammock, i just don't want them taring up my saddle bag filled with food.
bumsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #139
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumsted View Post
Also I'm not use to black flies... with a lack of tall trees just cook a ways down wind and leave all your food there, and then hope they just don't get into it? Maybe burn mosquito bombs in the end of the fire? I'm not concerned with them trying to join me in the hammock, i just don't want them taring up my saddle bag filled with food.

I think you might be confusing black flies and bears....

It doesn't matter where you cook your food as far as the black flies are concerned. They're not interested in your food, they're interested in you. You are their food. Bring a bug net and do not expose any skin.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #140
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post

It doesn't matter where you cook your food as far as the black flies are concerned. They're not interested in your food, they're interested in you. You are their food. Bring a bug net and do not expose any skin.

--mark
......and make sure your trouser legs are tucked into your socks and your clothing seals at the wrist. Duct tape is your friend. They seek out any exposed skin and aren't above climbing for it (by the thousand).

You may be lucky and have a relatively bug-free trip, but probably not. Don't underestimate them.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #141
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
My wife Ingrid and I will be doing the TLH in July on our BMW Dakar and Sertao. Currently they have fresh Mitas E-07s on them, is the TLH still a potential mud hole at times were a full on knobby will be required? I did the ride to Inuvik on Metzler Tourances... was lucky, but the E-07s have treated me well on just about everything but baby poo mud. By the time we get there I expect them to be half worn out... just don't want to purchase some knobbies for that and then totally kill them on the way back to BC.

90/90-21 Mitas E-07 front

We have my 6L aux tank installed on the bikes so 400 to 450km range is now achievable - pretty much good to go now, just unsure of the real condition of the road.

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks

hasenwerk screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 05:59 PM
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:53 AM   #142
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
The road changes constantly. Pea gravel, sand, grader work, dust and weather make the 420km from Port Hope Simpson to Goose Bay a different experience every few kms and every day. And if you do go with a knobby....mind out for the bridge over the Churchill River starting (or finishing, depending on your direction) this section.
From Goose to Lab City there is only 60kms of dirt left and that is only because the fires last year prevented the pavers from getting it finished. Retendered this section last week.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:56 AM   #143
KLRSixFiddy
Green - of course!

Oddometer: 38
No Knobbies Needed

3 of us did it last year, and 2 of us had fresh TKC80s on. There is so much road that is NOT gravel that I would suggest you avoid knobbies, just for the sake of that one section. There's actually a lot of beautiful newly paved road in Labrador, and riding on that with knobbies would be a shame ! :-)

Just ride with caution on the new gravel section, go slow over blind hills and around corners, and you will have an awesome time. I find TKC80s have the best combination of on and off road performance for me.

Enjoy !
Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #144
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenwerk View Post
My wife Ingrid and I will be doing the TLH in July on our BMW Dakar and Sertao. Currently they have fresh Mitas E-07s on them, is the TLH still a potential mud hole at times were a full on knobby will be required?
E-07s should be fine, though I'd strongly recommend a fresh set. If you want the bikes to be a little more surefooted in the looser gravel or if things do get muddy, you could run IRC TR8 front tires. These are similar to a TKC-80 in the 90/90-21 size -- similar performance to the TKC both on pavement and on dirt (maybe a little better in the dirt, actually), though they're much less expensive and wear better. When I rode the Trans-Lab on my Tiger 800 XC two years ago, I used the TR8 front tire and a Full Bore M40 rear (slightly less aggressive than the E-07). Worked great.

--mark

Old 05-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #145
TREE
Interloper

Oddometer: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Colleen and James did it CCW in 2002 or 3? when you had to race to the ferry in Cartwright...no we didn't make it, you would have to have been pretty fast. So a night in the Cartwright Hotel.

We each rode BMW R1100RSL with street tires. Happily it didn't rain and we only each fell off once in soft, just graded dirt. ........

We were SO HAPPY to see Manic 5, we kissed the ground.

Do it while you can.
I also took an R1100RS around in '99 with street tires.
It rained from Lab city to Manic, that was messy. The trip now from Red Bay north is magnificent, did not exist in 99. Well worth seeing.

Road Trips . . . Alaska, Himalayas, Labrador and Oz
TREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #146
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
From Goose to Lab City there is only 60kms of dirt left and that is only because the fires last year prevented the pavers from getting it finished. Retendered this section last week.

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #147
bumsted
Adventurer

Black Flies != Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post

Yes I was. Not even going to try and defend that.

Flies I can work with. Anyone have any good advice on the bears? I well be camping the entire way, and just have no experience with em. Are they an apparent problem or is it more something to be aware of?

Basics? Cook and keep food away from the camp, make noise, carry bear bangers / bear mace, don't camp next to a landfill.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #148
bumsted
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREE View Post
The trip now from Red Bay north is magnificent, did not exist in 99. Well worth seeing.

Good to hear that the new construction isn't all bad
Old 05-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #149
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumsted View Post
Yes I was. Not even going to try and defend that.

Flies I can work with. Anyone have any good advice on the bears? I well be camping the entire way, and just have no experience with em. Are they an apparent problem or is it more something to be aware of?

Basics? Cook and keep food away from the camp, make noise, carry bear bangers / bear mace, don't camp next to a landfill.
Just use common sense. You're not dealing with grizzly bears in Labrador, just black bears, which tend to be a bit more shy. Don't bring food inside the tent with you or leave it easily accessible; tying it up in a tree is a good idea.

As for being able to work with the flies, we'll see what you have to say about that when you get back.

--mark

Old 05-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #150
osii
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,433
I'm thinking of doing this ride this July or August.

Couple questions . . .

Which bike would work better? DL650 or Dr-z400e? Both bikes are running Shinko 705's. If I get a flat are there enough Samaritans on the road to get me to the next town that may have facilities to buy and change a tire?

Do I need black fly protection whilst riding or just off the bike?
What is the best black fly protection money can buy?

I'm doing it from DC and planning on going to QC and then running the TLH clockwise. I want to put the ferry rides at the end.

What are the Marijuana laws in that part of the world. I have an AZ MMJ license so it's de facto legal here for me. Availability? Don't get your panties in a bunch, not much of a drinker. And the thought of all that riding with no MMJ is the most frightening part of that adventure.

Can or should I bring a firearm for wildlife protection. Options are a .380 or a .40 pistol or a .22 takedown rifle. I've done some research on this and it looks like it can be done with some pre-planning. The question is should I bother.

Any camping suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've seen a few already but looking for the most options.

Are there plenty of Canadian Tire and Tim Hortons along the way? I actually saw a Walmart in Lab City on Google. I think that's a sign that the world is ending soon.
osii is offline   Reply With Quote