Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #31
High Side
Squidventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
High Side...I still love that video and reading your guys reports, it definitely inspired me!
Thanks Blaster ! Our group of seven this time are leaving for Tennessee this Thursday to ride the dragon. It will be an 11 day ride report of the usual shenanigans to follow. I HAVE to finish our Mt. Washington ride report before I go.
Sorry for the thread highjack . . . .back to your previous broadcast . . .

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Costa Rica

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Climbs Mt. Washington
High Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #32
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkins View Post
Re: Houston: You're going to another planet, weather-wise . Be prepared for cold and wet.
Anything is better than this
Old 08-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #33
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by regnock View Post
We did the TLH last year. See my signature below for a link to our ride report. Includes all the information I used to plan the trip, hope it helps others out.
Wow!Excellent website you created for the trip.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #34
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Lots of great info here. All it's doing for me now is keeping me up at night, playing the ride in my head. Kinda sucks I'm doing it solo. I'm far enough away that no one can burn that kind of time off or even have the money for it. Gonna be expensive without being able to split room rates. $60 to fill a tank will be expected too. That's cool. I'm doing it to clear my head. I'm suffering severe burnout and the solitude will be welcome. But I'm pretty social at the stops I make so it will be cool to run into other adventurers along the way. Apparently this trip is more popular than most people would think, given it's remoteness. So, if anyone sees a big Goose with Texas plates in 3 weeks, wave me down.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #35
Paul G_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Hey all. I'll be leaving Boston on August 25th to do the Trans Lab route counter clockwise (but that's flexible). If anyone is planning to be up there around the same time, let me know!

I have my own Labrador thread here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802251

Paul
Paul G_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #36
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul G_ View Post
Hey all. I'll be leaving Boston on August 25th to do the Trans Lab route counter clockwise (but that's flexible). If anyone is planning to be up there around the same time, let me know!

I have my own Labrador thread here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802251

Paul
How concrete is your departure date?

I'm already set in stone on my departure date with work and wife and doing the tip counter-clockwise...easier to time the ferry rides. I have a day and 1/2 to spend in Pittsburgh along the way but planned on going into Boston overnight. I plan on eating plenty of good seafood along the way. That works out to being in Boston by Tuesday, September 4 at night or at worst Wednesday morning, September 5th, sometime.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #37
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
Lots of great info here. All it's doing for me now is keeping me up at night, playing the ride in my head. Kinda sucks I'm doing it solo. I'm far enough away that no one can burn that kind of time off or even have the money for it. Gonna be expensive without being able to split room rates. $60 to fill a tank will be expected too. That's cool. I'm doing it to clear my head. I'm suffering severe burnout and the solitude will be welcome. But I'm pretty social at the stops I make so it will be cool to run into other adventurers along the way. Apparently this trip is more popular than most people would think, given it's remoteness. So, if anyone sees a big Goose with Texas plates in 3 weeks, wave me down.
Have a great time. I've done most of my long rides solo and it is a great way to clear out the mind. If you haven't tried camping, this may be the time to give it a go. This long of a trip you'll save $ even after investing in a decent tent, sleeping bag and pad. Up north there's nothing like waking up in the night outside and seeing the Northern Lights.
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #38
vtgs
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Oddometer: 204
Camping /hotel b&b

Two of us will be heading out August 31 from the Burlington VT area to do the CW route. I've probably read every ride report on the forum. The information has been great. Thanks to everyone that have shared their experience and knowledge.

What I would find extremely helpful is any ideas and information about:

Camping locations GPS coordinates for bush camping, or good descriptions of where they are.

Best paid camping locations.

Recommended lodging, hotel, motel, B&B.

Also, how safe do you feel when bush camping? What critters do we have to be concerned about?

Thanks
vtgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #39
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,636
Current conditions

Currently sitting in Churchill Falls; here's where the road conditions stand so far.

Gravel from Manic 5 to Relais Gabriel. The base is already being improved at that point for paving, and the pavement starts about 1km north of Relais Gabriel. 13 miles north the pavement ends and the road goes back to gravel for ten miles, then pavement resumes and continues to Gagnon where it connects with the preexisting pavement.

The section from Fire Lake to Fermont is still the same twisty gravel as before.

The Trans-Lab is paved for about 105 miles east of Lab City, then reverts to gravel. The last eight miles or so heading into Churchill Falls are a rough construction zone in pretty bad shape.

About to find out how the section to Goose Bay is doing...

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #40
vtgs
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Oddometer: 204
Thanks for the update

It is appreciated.
vtgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #41
Phurray
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Camping /hotel b&b

I did the TLH a couple of weeks ago on my sidecar outfit.
A couple of suggestions.

The Northern Lights Inn in Lance Au Clair, just a few minutes from the Blanc Sablon Ferry, has a mowed field behind their RV Park in which they allow tenting. Only charge is $10 to use their large, clean toilet and shower facility. They also have a great breakfast buffet for around $10 that will set you up for the day. I arrived in Labrador on the evening ferry and this made a great place to stop before heading out on the highway the next morning.

The Goose River Lodges in Goose Bay has cabins for a lot less than the local motel rooms if you want a break from tenting. Clean, comfortable, two bedrooms with double beds and a couch.

Needed a tire in Goose and Marty and his staff at Frenchies Outdoors were great. Had me in and out in no time and were more than helpful.

Its a great ride but be careful in the dust. Visibility sometimes goes to zero. If I were to do it again I would consider some sort of dust mask. Breathed a lot of dust especially on the Quebec portion where the road is being improved and the trucks are numerous.

Hope this is of some use.
Phurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #42
dtyo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Leaving Sat, Aug 25, for a CW loop around the TLH and Lab. Had been thinking about taking a dust mask and the last posting may have convinced me to do it. In a good-news, bad-news, sort of way, if there's dust, it means it isn't raining... :^)

Other than worrying about rain, trying to figure out what to bring for clothes is the other question - it looks like temps are ranging between mid-50's to mid-60's, so a little insulation might be necessary to be comfortable riding all day, and for chilly morning starts. Any comments from the folks on the TLH now?

Thanks,

Dan
dtyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #43
Paul G_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Hey Dan. Well, I was gonna go CW like everyone else, but someone said to go CCW to make catching the ferries easier and I already have one booked. We'll probably cross paths somewhere in the middle since I'll be leaving from Boston on the 25th.

See you down the road...
Paul
Paul G_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #44
dtyo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Hi Paul,

Good luck on your trip. My rough plan is:

8/25 Baie Comeau
8/26 Lab City
8/27 Happy Valley
8/28 Port Simpson
8/29 Blanc-Sablon - St Barbe 1 PM Ferry to NFL

8/29 - 9/4 Newfoundland
9/5 Port Aux Basque - North Sydney
9/6 - 9/9 homeward bound...

Hopefully see you between here and there...

Dan
dtyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #45
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,636
Continued update

To continue from my post above regarding current conditions...

Road is gravel heading east from Churchill Falls for about 95 miles, IIRC, before turning to pavement the rest of the way into HV-GB.

The Phase 2 and 3 sections are gravel as before, mostly in pretty good shape. But in the vicinity of Mary's Harbour the base is badly potholed (to the point I was afraid I'd blow a fork seal), and roughly 20 miles before Red Bay there's a sandy section that's sketchy as hell.

You guys about to head out, have a great trip, but keep your eyes focused on the road. It still demands constant attention.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote