Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #46
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
[QUOTE=selkins;19349176]............ you'll save $ even after investing in a decent tent, sleeping bag and pad.....

Up north there's nothing like waking up in the night outside and seeing the Northern Lights.[/QUOTE

Very true , and a cheap tent and warm sleeping bag will work well.
The second part of the quote however may raise some unrealistic expectations among new travellers to the north. As motorcyclists you/we are going to be visiting the northern regions during the summer and days will be long with long evenenings of lingering light. Think of the "midnight sun" . Any chance of seeing northern lights is impossible because the late daylight overpowers any aurora show. Once you get into autumn and actual night darkness shows up you may be getting into temperatures too uncomfortable for motorcycling or camping. You may well wish for a return to areas wih the heat indicated on Xglider's digital readout thingy.
In Lab City there is a nice FREE spot to dry camp on the mid town hill with the watertower,just wend your way through the residential streets to its entry lane
There are black bears in Labrador so that is the biggest worry although I have never spotted one yet ,moose and elk pose no hazard for camping
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #47
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Yes there are black bears in N.L. and i have seen them. I have never heard of an attack from them but eating kippered herring in your tent would be unwise. Be bear smart.
There are no threats from elk because we don't have any. Moose we have in abundance and yes they can be downright nasty when rutting. More dangerous to motorcycles because they tend to cross roads without warning. People die every year in cars because of this. Having your camp set up by dusk is wisest.
Wolves are in Labrador but rare on the island as they would have come across on the spring ice.
Coyote are now here on the island but not native. Probably came across on the ice as well.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #48
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Wife is a little worried about me camping out along the TLH for these reasons. Asked if I was taking the gun with me. Had to tell her that isn't something I'm willing to get caught with (Glock Model 30). I've done enough back county camping over the years and never really worried about it. Always had to be smart about your food, especially when done with it. Can't let the critters get a whiff of pork 'n'; beans and such. Tent was always next to the bike and I burned mosquito coils all night long. I don't think the wildlife liked that smell. Neither did I.

One week until I head out. Looking forward to the cold nights up there.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #49
drmacaulay
letsrun.com

Oddometer: 77
If you get in a pinch like I did - you can camp at the water tower in Lab. City. I had no problems being there overnight. Several folks routinely passed by - walking dogs and such, and nobody indicated it was a problem. Police never showed up or asked me to move along.... No animal issues.... I left all my gear for an hour or so as I walked over to the WalMart for a bottle of water and to make some phone calls and whatnot..... Not a problem back in September of 2010 anyway.... Haven't been back since mind you....

You drive around the back side of it and then follow a gravel road up an incline - then up another little incline.... Just camp there.

Now, I wouldn't have done that in Happy Valley Goose Bay - it was a sad place to be in unfortunately - Get a hotel for sure and leave nothing, and I mean nothing, on the bike that could be removed..... I just had a bad feeling when I got there.... Seemed to have many social program problems like alcohol abuse, poverty, and mental health issues among some of the residents. I never saw one police cruiser threw 800km of Ontario, all of Quebec, and the 1,000km on the TLH, but when I got into HVGB I saw 3 of them racing with sirens blare'n off to some call..... It is too bad I was left with and got that bad feeling because it was once an amazing place I guess - Well, it still could be, I just found it sketchy.... I hopefully just caught it during an off night??

My TLH recap from Sept. 2010 is on the blog - click the link if you want to read more about my experiences.... Did it solo.... Decent weather on the TLH, crappy weather everywhere else I was.....

www.drmexploits.blogspot.com
drmacaulay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #50
Newfie Rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Black Bears

Pick up some Bear Bangers for them. They work really good.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #51
vtgs
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Oddometer: 226
Departing 8/31

CW leaving from Northern VT.

Fri Baie Comeau

Sat past the Manic's Bush Camp

Sun Through Lab City and Churchill Bush Camp

Mon Through HVGB Bush Camp

Tue to Port Hope Simpson B&B

Wed Ferry from Blanc Salmon Newfoundland Camp Barachoic Pond

Thu Ferry to Sydney Camp Englishtown

Fri Cabot Trail to Antigonish Hotel

Sat to Calais, ME Hotel

Sun Home
vtgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:41 AM   #52
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I'm thinking of doing it again next year but hate to think they'll have it paved by then!!! What a shame! One of the last real adventure destinations ruined by the black stuff!
Maybe we'll ride NFLD and leave the Trans-Lab for a possible route home if time allows....?

Now what is that song that says paved parking lots etc from the sixties ...?....Rings so true with this dying treasure of a road!!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:49 AM   #53
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Bush camp in Churchill??? They welcome all to camp on the church lawn. Out in the open. Next to the town building with swimming pool, shower, grocery store and a restaraunt. No fee and no crime.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #54
vtgs
GO BIG OR GO HOME

We bush camped 10 miles approx east do Churchill. Left down a road then a hard left. Will post gps.

Just finished clockwise for. Baie Comeau. Manic 5 is closed for tours for the season. Manic 2 was still open to tours.

Lots of paving in random spots on 389. Still a lot of gravel from Manic 5 to Fermont.

As previously posted all pavement from Fermont to Churchill Falls.

Almost all gravel from Churchill Falls to Happy Valley Goose Bay Conditions are Ok but require your full attention.

Safe Riding.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #55
vtgs
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Finished

510 is a kick in the a$$. All gravel. Sketchy in parts. Only 3 places to pull entirely off the road. One around 1/2 way and another 60 miles from Port Hope Simpson. The third was just a grader pull off.

We did the trip in 9 days CW. I know we missed a lot of scenery and side trips. But we were pressed for time with family commitments.

Found 2 great bush camp sites which we will post the GPS locations for.

We ended up stuck on the Ferry from Port aux Basque to North Sydney for 36 hours due to weather. PIA, but at least we got on. Otherwise we would still be in Newfoundland.

We chose the Labor Day weekend to ride which worked out great due to reduced traffic on 389, 500 and 510. Would recommend early AM starts the days on gravel as the overnight moisture keeps the dust down until around 8:00 AM.

Phenomenal ride. We'd do it again.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #56
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,648
Thumb

In New Brunswick now....heading for the TLH in the coming days. Since most of the Tourist are gone It's time to get rolling.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #57
Newfie Rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
In New Brunswick now....heading for the TLH in the coming days. Since most of the Tourist are gone It's time to get rolling.

Awesome, should see the start of some fall colors, cooler weather, and maybe more wildlife...good luck and have fun
Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #58
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Rider View Post
Awesome, should see the start of some fall colors, cooler weather, and maybe more wildlife...good luck and have fun
Thank you... I'm work'n on it feeeeer suuuure!
Yes yes... had some nice colors starting to go off down in the Daks last week. It's been about 50/50 clear and cloudy for the last week, sooo hoping 2mro brings some more clearness as I head up into the Highlands for some scouting around.
I enjoy the ride regardless of the weather... but the clearness does seem to give me many more pic ops.

I need to work on that.... learn to find the good shots/good vibe situations in the fog and rain too...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 06:09 AM
Old 09-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #59
vtgs
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Coordinates

So here are the X,Y's for the locations I refer to above

This first one is just north of Gagnon. There is a road on the left. Keep following it. Our GPS's (Garmins) showed us actually in the lake as we were riding.

51.9408 -68.16202

The second one was east of Churchill Falls. Again the road is on the left. The a sharp left off of that. Pull off is also on the left. Our fire ring should still be there.

53.57462 -63.87369

Old 09-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #60
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Well the Ol' K-60 is showing substantial wear at the 3,100mi mark, and will be shot by St. Johns... soooo just called Keith at the ToyBox in St. Johns (Super HELPFUL guy!) A pleasure to work with 1-709-726-6500
He's going to have me a D606 shipped in for Tuesday.. Ol' reliable .

May ride the old Railtrail thru the interior instead of the coast... anyone here ridden that yet???