Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #91
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,505
My preference is the TKC on front and a Heidi K60 on back for those type of trips. The front gets good bite and the rear has a bit less bite but really good mileage. I did the trip two years ago with that combo and it worked great!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #92
PA Slammer
I hate titles...

Oddometer: 790
Looking for some travel companions for the 28th of Jun to the 8th of Jul.

My plan is to travel from Pittsburgh, PA down through MD across DE then turn Northeast toward Moncton through Nova Scotia to North Sydney, take the ferry into NL, down to Saint Johns and back up to St. Barbe for the ferry to Blanc Salon, cross the Trans-Lab to Labrador City, turn south toward Burlington, then back towards Pittsburgh.

Anyone traveling the same time frame?

PA Slammer
PA Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #93
Newfie Rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
PA Slammer.... I am heading to Goose Bay crossing over June 2, 2013 on the 8am crossing then straight to Goose. Probably staying at the Dockside (St. Barbe on July 1).

As for tire question...I used new TKCs for the trip last year and the rear is worn out from the trip. The front is still good.

As for the TLH, it is in better condition (Class A dirt) then say 10 years ago so the biggest concern would be the freshly graded class A dirt that will be like riding on marbles. I am going to be running Metzler Tourances this year. Hope they fair out good.,
Old 06-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #94
Newfie Rider OP
Studly Adventurer

TLH Gov't pamphlet here
Old 06-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #95
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Did you carry a spare tire? I really want to stick with the TKC on the rear (and front of course) and I'm looking for advice about whether to carry spares for both front and back or back only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
My preference is the TKC on front and a Heidi K60 on back for those type of trips. The front gets good bite and the rear has a bit less bite but really good mileage. I did the trip two years ago with that combo and it worked great!
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #96
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
Did you carry a spare tire? I really want to stick with the TKC on the rear (and front of course) and I'm looking for advice about whether to carry spares for both front and back or back only.
No spare was needed and I still had tire left when I got home, it's a great combo which I run all the time.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #97
Newfie Rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Nah, no spare, just plug kit and 12 volt pump. I didn't need it last year...hope I won't this year either

Ran across this old article on the interweb...this is when the road was actually the old frontier...
Old 06-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #98
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

I'd be starting out with new front and rear, but it'll be over 2,000 km on the slab before I hit Blanc Sablanc. Looks like I'll have to carry AT LEAST a spare rear tire with me.

How often do you hear of a front tire being shredded due to sharp gravel, etc? Think it would be reasonably safe to carry only a spare rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Rider View Post
As for tire question...I used new TKCs for the trip last year and the rear is worn out from the trip. The front is still good.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #99
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
I have run Tourances on "The Labrador" with no difficulties but it was dry and fast. When I got out of the hardpack all you could do was power on and hope for the best. Hard rain wold have been downright ugly but I was on my last 1500km of the Metzelers so there was not much bite. When I do it again it will probably be on Heidenaus as they are a compromise between mileage and grip that I can live with.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #100
PA Slammer
I hate titles...

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Rider View Post
PA Slammer.... I am heading to Goose Bay crossing over June 2, 2013 on the 8am crossing then straight to Goose. Probably staying at the Dockside (St. Barbe on July 1).

As for the TLH, it is in better condition (Class A dirt) then say 10 years ago so the biggest concern would be the freshly graded class A dirt that will be like riding on marbles. I am going to be running Metzler Tourances this year. Hope they fair out good.,
Crossing Jun 2nd?

PA Slammer
PA Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #101
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,487
Tires

Tourances worked fine for me on a 1200GS in 2009, and that included an all day downpour on the stretch from Baie Comeau to Lab City. But, I'm a fairly conservative rider. If you really love TKCs, go for it and carry the spare.

But if you haven't tried the Heidenaus, I strongly encourage it. They're more than adequate for any conditions on the TLH (assuming you don't go way for off on a single track side trail in wet conditions), and they have easily twice the range of a TKC. I spent four weeks last year riding to and around AK and the Yukon, including the length of the Dempster. North of Prince Rupert I'll bet that 90% of folks I saw were using the Heidenaus and I didn't hear a single complaint.

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #102
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

The majority of my riding is unfortunately on the slab, and I've read a ton of reports about the Heidenau's being really poor in the wet and that the TKC80's are much much better. At the cost of course of faster wear. I rather have a tire that's good in the wet than one that wears longer. I've heard the Heidenau's referred to as downright dangerous on wet pavement. But I have no personal experience with them.

I wonder if the particular bike being used makes any difference regarding the performance of the tires... It's F800GS riders who have been quite vocal about the TKC being much better than Heidenau. I think there's even a thread about that going on now on the board.

Anyway, I don't mind carrying a spare rear tire with me. And it seems that one would probably be required based on the mileage I need to do before even getting to the TLH.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkins View Post
Tourances worked fine for me on a 1200GS in 2009, and that included an all day downpour on the stretch from Baie Comeau to Lab City. But, I'm a fairly conservative rider. If you really love TKCs, go for it and carry the spare.

But if you haven't tried the Heidenaus, I strongly encourage it. They're more than adequate for any conditions on the TLH (assuming you don't go way for off on a single track side trail in wet conditions), and they have easily twice the range of a TKC. I spent four weeks last year riding to and around AK and the Yukon, including the length of the Dempster. North of Prince Rupert I'll bet that 90% of folks I saw were using the Heidenaus and I didn't hear a single complaint.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #103
Newfie Rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Slammer View Post
Crossing Jun 2nd?

PA Slammer
Yup...looking at heading up the northern penn on Canada Day July 1and staying at either Dockside in St. Barbe at $100 or B&B 20 minutes north for $50 and crossing on July 2

Rick
Old 06-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #104
straight_8
SM rims for KTM wanted

Oddometer: 77
I run MT21 in the front and T63 in the rear on my 640. They are great although the front wears weird, I am switching to a pair of T63's this year.

Newfierider...Look me up when your in goose!
02 640 Adventure (Airbox, carb, exhaust modded)
07 Gas Gas ec300 (street legal, scott damper)
straight_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #105
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl_Biker View Post
The majority of my riding is unfortunately on the slab, and I've read a ton of reports about the Heidenau's being really poor in the wet and that the TKC80's are much much better. At the cost of course of faster wear. I rather have a tire that's good in the wet than one that wears longer. I've heard the Heidenau's referred to as downright dangerous on wet pavement. But I have no personal experience with them.

I wonder if the particular bike being used makes any difference regarding the performance of the tires... It's F800GS riders who have been quite vocal about the TKC being much better than Heidenau. I think there's even a thread about that going on now on the board.

Anyway, I don't mind carrying a spare rear tire with me. And it seems that one would probably be required based on the mileage I need to do before even getting to the TLH.

Cheers!
I have burned through several Heidi/TKC sets and they work just fine in the rain. The only reservation I have with the Heidi is that the 150 does not work well in the mud, in my opinion, due to the solid center strip. This is the perfect tire combo for that trip.....in my opinion. You seem to be set on the TKC combo so go with what makes you comfortable. On our trip we rode them from Maryland around the Trans Lab, over to Newfoundland and rode all the dirt roads through the park and then the rails to trails to the eastern side and then all the way back home and still had tread.