User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
scooterspirit OP
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 714
Should I get insurance?

I don't want any stinking insurance. But I want to know, from anybody, if I need to have it.

In Washington state motorcycles are not required to carry insurance, which is perfect for me. But if I ride into other states which do require motorcycle insurance, then am I required to have it, or do I get a free pass there too?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,793
You'll need it in the other states.

One option would be to put a policy into place, then put it on hold if you are not travelling to those areas that require it. I used to do this with my classic car; activating the insurance only when I was planning a trip or something. At some point, the insurance company (1.5 hour drive from me) wanted to inspect the car before activating the insurance, so now I keep it on full time. You wouldn't have that issue with liability only coverage.

The other thing to consider is that if you cause damage (especially bodily harm) the victim can sue you for your house, savings account, or whatever you own. If you have a lot to lose, an "umbrella policy" might be a good idea. It can also protect you in the event that the damage you cause with your car exceeds your maximum coverage (if you crash into a vintage Bugatti car show, for example).
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
windblown101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
I don't want any stinking insurance. But I want to know, from anybody, if I need to have it.

In Washington state motorcycles are not required to carry insurance, which is perfect for me. But if I ride into other states which do require motorcycle insurance, then am I required to have it, or do I get a free pass there too?
From my understanding, yes you may have to have it in states where it is required.

I'm anti-insurance too. But sadly these days not carrying liability insurance could be a life altering event. In the event you take someone out and get deemed at fault regardless of whether you are or not at fault they will take everything you have now, and probably most of everything you will ever manage to earn. I don't like it but that's the current reality.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Ernest T
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post

I can't imagine riding without liability insurance. Other coverages are optional, but it's a zoo out there. We have collision, comprehensive, uninsured/underinsured motorist and medical coverage.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 470
I would ask someone who actually knows something, but under reciprocity don't other states have to accept the vehicle as ok in the state it was registered? I mean if I had a hack and drove to Washington they wouldn't give me a ticket for not having a third wheel endorsement, right?
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
packerbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
stop being a cheap schmuck and get some liability
Old 09-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
KendallT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Better safe than sorry... is just my opinion. Depending on your age and past driving record it can be extremely inexpensive. If you go with Progressive, you can choose primary use as off road and just carry liability. I think my wife's scooter is something like $27 a year and even full coverage for my motorcycle was less then $100 a year (listed as mainly for pleasure with 3 bikes on the policy). You just never know what could happen and for just a few dollars a month, it could give you peace of mind. Also, as others have mentioned... you can place it on hold durning the months that you ride.

A positive for me... did everything online. I switched to progressive about 10 years ago and I've never had to speak to a live person

Dreaming of a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
KendallT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
jersey jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
Wow, no insurance at all is required? I'd at least have a decent liability policy.
Hell, I still have full coverage on my 2003 Warrior, it's so damn cheap at this point. I do plan to drop the full coverage at the next renewal though, I don't put enough mileage on it now that I have the HD to be worth it anymore.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkmojo View Post
I would ask someone who actually knows something, but under reciprocity don't other states have to accept the vehicle as ok in the state it was registered? I mean if I had a hack and drove to Washington they wouldn't give me a ticket for not having a third wheel endorsement, right?
Some things fall under reciprocity, such as riding a 2-stoke in California registered in another state. Insurance is another matter. It is definitely needed if the state requires it. That said, millions of illegals ride around with none all the time. That is why they drive 5 under the limit, and stay stopped at stop signs for a significant pause.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
i don't know what the requirements are, but i do know this. unless you are a multimillionaire. driving any vehicle on the road without liability ins. makes you a huge asshole. it means you are willing to let someone else lose everything they have to pay expenses caused by your (however accidental) negligence.
BTW how would you feel if you were the cause of an incident that left someone else with huge medical bills or even property damage that you could not pay for?

farmerstu screwed with this post 09-09-2014 at 11:11 AM Reason: spelling
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
BTW how would you feel i you were the cause of an incident that left someone else with huge medical bills or even property damage that you could not pay for?
And they sell insurance to cover that too. Uninsured/Under insured motorists policy which I have because you can't get blood from a turnip.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 210
I have liability and comprehensive through Progressive. Can't remember the limits off hand, but I know boosted them to a decent level. ($1 million?) It is less than $90 a year. I personally think it is dumb not to be covered for that price.

Conedodger screwed with this post 09-09-2014 at 07:53 PM
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #13
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
In NH you don't need any insurance.
In addition to being open to a lawsuit where you could loose everything if you cause an accident and don't have liability insurance you also have to have an separate policy ( SR22 ? ) just on your licence that is very expensive.
shakeybone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #14
ruin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeybone View Post
In NH you don't need any insurance.
In addition to being open to a lawsuit where you could loose everything if you cause an accident and don't have liability insurance you also have to have an separate policy ( SR22 ? ) just on your licence that is very expensive.
An SR22 is proof of insurance. They're mandatory for habitual offenders, people with a recent DWI, etc. It's submitted by the insurance company. If you want to drive in the state after getting an SR22 requirement, you must have insurance of your own -- even if you don't have your own vehicle.

Technically you're only exempt from the insurance requirement here if you have enough cash to cover the expenses yourself. If you're uninsured and at-fault in an accident, you're required to post a bond large enough to cover the expenses for the other party. If you can't afford to post the bond, that's one way to get slapped with an SR22 requirement.
ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
dwizum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I'm pretty sure insurance is the cheapest part of my bike ownership experience. I'm paying $93 a year for liability, collision, comprehensive, roadside assistance - with pretty good terms and a valuation on the bike that's probably about 2x what it's worth.

That's $7.75 a month.
dwizum is offline   Reply With Quote