Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #1186
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,655
All of that can be avoided if you simply ride a bike meant for the street and not the track
Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #1187
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2 View Post
Its a hero crner, anyone who rides would be lying if they said they would'nt want to go thru their with their knee down.
I rekon its a difficult crner just from looking at it , it flattens off and the bike goes light right at the piont where you want to nail the gas. and thats why its easy for an inexperienced rider to be sucked into it , specially cause everyones watching, they don't want to look like an average rider , cant have that!!, so they nail it. It punishes laxy riders.
Yeah, that AND there's now no resistance on a tire once it loses traction, so the same throttle input allows the motor to spin up freely, that's another part of what you're hearing. To keep going, the people have a tendency to hang on when going down, so they panic grip the bike which often leads to a rev.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #1188
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
you are correct.

to past emissions they have to make it lean or stoich as much as possible. your engine will surge at low speeds and low throttle.

being FI has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
The web page I posted has a theory why FI is like this, because of environmental laws rather than manufacturers can't do it if they wanted.

It turns out it’s an emissions thing - another example of how ever-tightening environmental legislation is making it tough for manufacturers to keep delivering bikes that are faster, lighter and more powerful than last year’s. The FZ1 EFI system cuts fuel completely on a closed throttle as the revs descend, then adds in a trickle when the revs get down to 4000rpm to support the idle. A carbed engine, by comparison, trickles enough fuel to idle on throughout the whole rev range on a closed throttle. When the throttle is opened again, it takes a split second to squirt the fuel down into the combustion chamber, where it arrives with a sudden burst of power. This split second causes the hesitation and snatch you feel when riding the bike.

Not saying the above is correct or otherwise, just their explanation of why it is as it is.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:12 AM   #1189
monkeydad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
I was having breakfast at a small local Burbank breakfast spot when he pulled in driving a 1920's gigantic car of some kind.

He came in, knew the owners ordered food and chatted with the owners. Afterwards he went out and answered questions about the car, I think it was a Duesenburg.

He was really gracious with his time, knew the car well, and treated everyone (maybe half a dozen people) like they were his friends. Nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
Getting to meet him is on my bucket list.
monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #1190
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,168
It's warming up! The squids should be dusting off their GSXR's and heading out the canyons here soon. I have a feeling there is going to be A LOT of activity up there this summer....

starting with this guy and running nearly 40 PSI....

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #1191
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,168
and how about three and a half years on the road wit a Mad Max Moto Guzzi?

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #1192
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
It's warming up! The squids should be dusting off their GSXR's and heading out the canyons here soon. I have a feeling there is going to be A LOT of activity up there this summer....

What's wrong with 40psi? I run that on all my bikes and never had a tire related incident other than a flat.
Is it that specific tire or are you saying that the tire can't stick when inflated to that pressure?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #1193
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
What's wrong with 40psi? I run that on all my bikes and never had a tire related incident other than a flat.
Is it that specific tire or are you saying that the tire can't stick when inflated to that pressure?
I agree. either his engine was surging from being too lean (or other mech problem) or his inputs were abrupt. it was a matter of time....
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #1194
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post

I just realized perhaps I can't ride as well as I though. If someone said I'll give you a stack of money to get the front end to wash out at quite a slow speed as in the video as a stunt for a movie, I think I'd probably struggle to be able to do it. At least not without whacking the front brake on. Maybe I could cheat and throw some loose gravel across the road or something.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:10 AM   #1195
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,207
I'm going with the no-throttle-control camp. He and his buddy are just snapping it back and forth for the whole video. Don't know why you'd buy such a nice machine as your first bike.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:23 AM   #1196
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
I'm going with the no-throttle-control camp. He and his buddy are just snapping it back and forth for the whole video. Don't know why you'd buy such a nice machine as your first bike.
How would that make the front wash out so seemingly easy? I could understand if the back stepped out, but he's hardly into the turn, and not going particularly fast. I know video makes things look a lot slower, but he doesn't slide very far and the bloke behind he pulls up easily.

Not disputing anything, and he's certainly a pretty 'ordinary' rider, just trying to understand.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:24 AM   #1197
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
How would that make the front wash out so seemingly easy? I could understand if the back stepped out, but he's hardly into the turn, and not going particularly fast. I know video makes things look a lot slower, but he doesn't slide very far and the bloke behind he pulls up easily.

Not disputing anything, and he's certainly a pretty 'ordinary' rider, just trying to understand.
Man, I went so far as to put youtube into slowmo and I just can't decide from that distance if his front tire lets go, or if his rear end starts to give a little and he immediately gives up.

But if the front end went, I would bet it would be from dumping the throttle and adding weight to the front wheel, which is already pretty high. 40psi isn't ridiculous, but it wouldn't be what I would run if I were planning hard pavement cornering. But earlier in the vid, you can hear him in a constant turn, accel, decel, accel, decel. I think he just doesn't have a strong enough feel for the throttle sensitivity and just pushed it too far in either direction WHILE trying to corner all badass for the cameras. It was just the wrong time to suck.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #1198
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,980
quick thought..
His front tire is pretty hard at 40lbs... so less traction there. In his other scenes he has anything but a smooth line. He is constantly correcting his line in more than just little "fine tune it ".

IF.. we all deal with so many IFs here.
If he did one of those corrections for a tighter line and closed his throttle a little he is putting a lot on the front tire, More weight plus turn forces on a tire with less traction and that could create a situation for the front to slide away.

Remember all those survival reactions that you have to overcome from K Code.

NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #1199
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post

Diablo Rossos should be 28/26psi cold and 30-32hot. 40 PSI is WAY WAY over pressure. Those tires had to feel like riding on wood blocks.

I've been running those tires for years.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #1200
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,655
If it was the rear tire the bike would spin around I assume correct? Looks like he just leaned over to much and decelerated as NCStephen suggested....not bragging but I don't have to lean over half as much on my scrambler to make it through the turn just fine. And I'm at 36psi, the extra 4 psi will give me maybe 1mpg back...who cares?