Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #1201
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
What's wrong with 40psi? I run that on all my bikes and never had a tire related incident other than a flat.
Is it that specific tire or are you saying that the tire can't stick when inflated to that pressure?
There's nothing wrong with 40 for a Saturday afternoon ride as long as you're not planning on wearing out knee pucks! Ive done plenty of peg scraping weekend rides on my GS at around 40, tarmac and dirt but 40 psi is pretty high for fast canyon riding....especially if you plan on showing off for cameras. If you KNOW you're going canyon riding all day, dropping it to at least 30 would give you a bit more grip.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #1202
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Diablo Rossos should be 28/26psi cold and 30-32hot. 40 PSI is WAY WAY over pressure. Those tires had to feel like riding on wood blocks.

I've been running those tires for years.
from the video:

tire says super corsa

gauge in video says 36/37?

within range according to pirelli

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/mo...rcorsa_sc.html

if you were on the track.... probably lower

the snake just dont generate that much heat on the tire compare to a track

bike also looks to have race body work-side pieces. maybe not his first meeting with pavement....
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #1203
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Clapping and applauding, that's what I'm talking about. Chopping of the throttle, perfect recipe for disaster dude, nice bike.
Have to love the Telemundo commentary, just what everyone needs after crashing your bike
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #1204
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
from the video:

tire says super corsa

gauge in video says 36/37?

within range according to pirelli

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/mo...rcorsa_sc.html

if you were on the track.... probably lower

the snake just dont generate that much heat on the tire compare to a track

bike also looks to have race body work-side pieces. maybe not his first meeting with pavement....
I could only read the diablo part.....and that link is for Corsa SC.....DOT race rubber. The Super Corsa SP is the OEM installation tire on that bike (and on my 675).

That is still pretty damn high on a hot tire, and you don't have to work those very hard to warm them up, I've gnarled up those SPs on parade laps at the track before. I ran those tires right at 30psi for street use, and they made it about 5,000 miles and 4-5 trackdays before they were done. Thirty-seven PSI would be fine two up on a liter bike, but on an 848 (I think it was) that would still be a bit beyond what I would feel safe with.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #1205
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Interesting all the thoughts on tire pressure.
I run recommended for the weight load and i'm a big guy, so I run towards the top.

I'll have to get a heat gun and try lower pressures. I don't do it for the mileage but for the load index.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #1206
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Interesting all the thoughts on tire pressure.
I run recommended for the weight load and i'm a big guy, so I run towards the top.

I'll have to get a heat gun and try lower pressures. I don't do it for the mileage but for the load index.
10% rule.

Measure the hot and cold temps, they should vary 10%. If your hot is over 10% you running to low cold if its under you are running to high.

Any pressure gauge will work.

Basically pressure specs are easy to find, temperature specs...not so much. I can tell you what an overheated tire feels like.....melted chip & seal, they are slippery as shit. That being said that tires are so good these days that you have to work to accomplish that, i.e run a track day with a heavy bike on a sport touring tire (yeah I did that) ...with 108* ambient and a surface temp over 160.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #1207
cwadej
Keeper of the truth

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
10% rule.

Measure the hot and cold temps, they should vary 10%. If your hot is over 10% you running to low cold if its under you are running to high.

Any pressure gauge will work.

I know that made sense to you, but not to me. Can you explain it differently? are you saying hot and cold temps of the tire should be 10% different?

IE, cold temp is 80*F, hot should be 88*F ?
Old 04-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #1208
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,812
I think he means PSI. so if cold it's 36psi, but warm it's 40psi you are at 11% difference. Not sure at what point you would measure the psi though.

Personally I just stay within a 2-3psi of what is recommended cold in the manual and it has never done me wrong (assuming street riding not track or dirt).
Old 04-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #1209
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwadej View Post
I know that made sense to you, but not to me. Can you explain it differently? are you saying hot and cold temps of the tire should be 10% different?

No. Take tire pressure before bike is ridden. Say it is 40 psi. Ride 30 minutes or so and take tire pressure again. 10℅ more is 44 psi. If less than 44 there is too much psi in tire when cold. If more than 44psi then the tire needs a little more. You may find doing this for solo riding will lower your tire psi to mid 30s in order to achieve this 10% increase in pressure from cold to hot measurement of psi. Most tires need a certain amount of warmth to provide best traction and contact patch..

NCS
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #1210
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwadej View Post

Exactly.

So if you start from 30psi you should get 33 hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
I think he means PSI. so if cold it's 36psi, but warm it's 40psi you are at 11% difference.
Yeah I meant pressures.

Cold is just a cold tire, how long it takes a tire to cool varies. Aggressive rubber cools quickly, sport touring tires, not as much. This varies by application, there are going to be different ranges for slabbing, twisties, commuting and track days. Putz around with it and you'll get an idea of a happy medium.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #1211
Newbedonnie
Banned

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post
I agree that the motorcyclist had no skill and probably should not be on the road, but neither should the bicyclists. They are unprotected and slow. I don't mind that they are in the roads generally, but they should have the same rights as a jaywalking pedestrian. If they get hit, it's their fault.

I was riding up US276 above Greenville SC last fall. Switchback city, 2000 ft climb over just a few miles. The grape smugglers LOOOVE riding up there on saturday mornings to prove how hard core they are. Problem is the higher they get, the more tired they are, and they start to wobble on the road. There is nothing worse than coming around a blind corner and finding a fucking bicycle in your god damned apex. Pucker moment. I also passed a truck on a double yellow (yes, I know it's not legal) on a long straight stretch. SV650 passing a F250 with a trailer, no sweat right? Unless the truck decided to merge into you to avoid a bicycle. I dodged...that time.

Fuck 'em and keep 'em the hell of the roads, it's dangerous enough out there without being a goddamned obstacle course.
I ride the same road Jocassee does (assuming it's SC 276 over Caesar's Head). It is incredible to me the number of auto and motorcyclists that think that there is absolutely no "give and take" on this highway. Seems to be a South Carolina thing, an attitude that no one except "me" has any rights. If you google you'll find S.C. has the fifth highest fatality rate for bicyclists. Coupled with the fact that we're also the fifth deadliest state for fatalities in the nation, and ranked for first with North Dakota for drunken driving rates then you'll come to see why it is with some trepidation that I head out on my BMW for a ride. To lessen the "fear factor" I only ride on Sunday, I'll be on the road only between 7:00 AM and noon, and make sure I'm home safely before the craziness begins once again. And, to be honest, the most dangerous time of my drive is between 11:00 and noon, when the bible thumpers have gotten out of church and are heading to the Golden Corral for the Sunday Buffet. Trust me, there are none so blind as they that cannot see heading to the Sunday buffet.

Newbedonnie screwed with this post 04-13-2014 at 01:26 PM
Newbedonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #1212
Newbedonnie
Banned

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I once wrote for a newspaper....
Probably wrote the classifieds. Why is it that every neocon conservative that lambastes the media used to work for them?
Newbedonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #1213
Bleemus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbedonnie View Post
i ride the same road jocassee does (assuming it's sc 276 over caesar's head). It is incredible to me the number of auto and motorcyclists that think that there is absolutely no "give and take" on this highway. Seems to be a south carolina thing, an attitude that no one except "me" has any rights. If you google you'll find s.c. Has the fifth highest fatality rate for bicyclists. Couples with the fact that we're also the fifth deadliest state for fatalities in the nation, and ranked for first with north dakota for drunken driving rates then you'll come to see why it is with some trepidation that i head out on my bmw for a ride. To lessen the "fear factor" i only ride on sunday, i'll be on the road only between 7:00 am and noon, and make sure i'm home safely before the craziness begins once again. And, to be honest, the most dangerous time of my drive is between 11:00 and noon, when the bible thumpers have gotten out of church and are heading to the golden corral for the sunday buffet. Trust me, there are none so blind as they that cannot see heading to the sunday buffet.

lol
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #1214
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 719
Looks like he could have saved that, points for the get off though..

Old 04-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #1215
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,142
Never mind the fender, keep the cool