Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #136
Maritime Mike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Great RR.....Subscribed and with you for the ride.
Maritime Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #137
thirstybuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
thirstybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #138
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 384
So in on this one.

...living the dream..all the best on your great adventure eh!!
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #139
DanielR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63

Thanks for sharing. I like the humor and love the pictures. Godspeed!
DanielR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #140
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
You know those stickers with the stick figure family that you see on the back of minivan windows? Neda got a couple of bike stickers for us. It's bad enough the Harley guys don't wave at me, now they openly mock us... :(
Interestingly enough, the low five wave has become passe in the NE States. I would estimate that only a quarter of the bikers I pass use it. Of those, 0.10 percent are Harley riders. A large number of the Harley riders, but not all, have found that a scowl better suits their weekend pirate image. Usually a smartly flashed peace sign will get their attention.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.

Merlin III screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 11:30 AM
Merlin III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #141
Castle
Red Cloud Slept Here

Oddometer: 1,141
I've taken to firing a shot across the bow of an oncoming Harley. Saves time. :p

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #142
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 612
subscribed, and following the lovely Neda around the world in pictures won't be too bad..

good luck on your trip, be safe, look forward to more (reading reports sitting in Afghanistan is a favorite pasttime).

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #143
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 170
Fellow Ontarioite IN!
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #144
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
...A large number of the Harley riders, but not all, have found that a scowl better suits their weekend pirate image....
i think the new "biker wave" for upcoming harley bikes should be the eyepatch solute! simply hold your left hand over your eye as they ride by.....

grunting an "ARGHHH!" at the same time is optional.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #145
transplanted
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hey Gene and Neda, godspeed and enjoy.
transplanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #146
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 525
Update from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/12.html

Crossing over from Ontario into Manitoba on the TransCanada Highway we experienced a drastic change in geography. Gone were the irregular shorelines of Lake of the Woods, which in itself is quite spectacular when seen from an airplane. You can get a sense of this from the map above: the lake covers over 950,000 acres and has over 14,000 islands with over 30,000 kms of forested shoreline!

When we crossed the provincial border, it was like emerging from a forest into a wide open field. A field about 1,500 kms long... We had wandered out into the Canadian Prairies! We call it The Gap, that space between Ontario and the Rockies.

The Market at the Forks

Just the other day, at the Terry Fox memorial in Thunder Bay, we were talking to a guy from Winnipeg and we asked where to go in the city. He replied, "The Forks". Having no idea what that was, we punched it in the GPS and were pleasantly surprised to find a nice little touristy area located in downtown Winnipeg, at the junction of the Assiniboine and Red River - hence "The Forks".

Closeup of one of the structures surrounding Oodena Circle.

At one of the stores in the market, we overheard from the shopkeeper that there was a pow wow happening in the afternoon at the Oodena Celebration Circle, which was an open-air arena just outside the market. It was built by the city to host aboriginal and other cultural celebrations. "Oodena" is Cree for "centre of the city".

Participants in brightly coloured traditional attire!

We stayed for quite a while at the pow wow listening to the drumming and chanting and watching the many different tribes come together and dance around the circle. It was a feast of colours, and Neda remarked that we had lived in Canada for so long, but here in Winnipeg was the first time she's seen First Nations people so interwoven into the city and culture.

I found out later that we had actually visited The Forks on National Aboriginal Day, which was a pretty big event for Winnipeg. Some other shots of the Pow Wow:

The Forks was built on a site that was originally (and still is) a meeting place for the last 6,000 years. It was a popular spot for trading between early aboriginals, European fur traders, Metis buffalo hunters, etc. all the way to current day stores selling curios to nomadic motorcycle riders. :)

Human Rights Museum under construction at The Forks

Walking the Espalanade Riel, a bridge just outside The Forks named after the city's founder, Louis Riel

Thumpin' the doghouse!

I think what I'll miss most while being on the road is playing music. As far as entertainment goes, we don't watch any TV at all, but we did treat ourselves to an IMAX showing of The Dark Knight Rises. It was ok... I was very sad to hear about the tragedy in Colorado at the movie opening. These days, I get most of the news via social media, as I'm updating our pictures and blog online. Although we're seeing the world one small piece at a time, I'll have to be more diligent on keeping up with what's happening on a broader scale.

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 07:25 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #147
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchick View Post
just unplugg and get out of dodge......
I am still quite a net addict, I don't think I could ever completely unplug, but I do want to get out of dodge...

1 out of 2 is not bad?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #148
Sojourner2005
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
[QUOTE=lightcycle;19407698]Update from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/12.html:

Crossing over from Ontario into Manitoba on the TransCanada Highway we experienced a drastic change in geography. Gone were the irregular shorelines of Lake of the Woods, which in itself is quite spectacular when seen from an airplane. You can get a sense of this from the map above: the lake covers over 950,000 acres and has over 14,000 islands with over 30,000 kms of forested shoreline!

The Forks was built on a site that was originally (and still is) a meeting place for the last 6,000 years. It was a popular spot for trading between early aboriginals, European fur traders, Metis buffalo hunters, etc. all the way to current day stores selling curios to nomadic motorcycle riders. :)

Walking the Espalanade Riel, a bridge just outside The Forks named after the city's founder, Louis Riel

Thumpin' the doghouse!

Hi Lightcycle. Great RR. I've been following along, especially as your eastern pre-vacation was of great interest to me. And now I see that you visited the Forks, which is very close to my home. Your pictures are fantastic and it was nice to see the area through fresh eyes. Happy travels.
Sojourner2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:12 AM   #149
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,671
Quote:
Thank god it wasn't raining, as it usually does on our trips!
Ah... so that explains why my trip was pretty dry until I got to Wawa where I met you two.

Quote:

At a gas stop, Neda makes a friend

This is Cabo, the Mini Parrot. We met a couple (from Montana I think) traveling across Canada by bike as well, and this was their traveling companion! Cabo just started speaking. His first word was, "Noodle!"

On the right hand side panel you'll see Cabo's pillion seat, a tiny box where he can chillax.
You met them too? I ran into them in Wawa, but it was pouring rain, so our visit was short. They were prepping their gear hoping to make it to Thunder Bay that evening. The next day, I passed by a motel down the road and saw their bike and trailer out front.

Great to meet you guys. If you come through Memphis (or anywhere near here), drop me a line.

Also... check out the Tent Space maps: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776925
Good way to meet local riders who are willing to give you a place to crash.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #150
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Update from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/13.html

Our route through the interior provinces of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. We tried to stray off the main TransCanada Highway often, or we would have died of boredom! The fierce headwinds of the prairies really affected our fuel economy. With our large panniers and my huge Aeroflow windshield, our frontal surface area resembled the shape of a brick, and our range plummeted from about 350 kms/tank to 250 kms! Speed limits on the prairies are 110 km/h, which also contributed to our poor fuel mileage... :)

Saskatchewan's license plate reads, "Land of living skies"

We took a break off the boring flatlands of the Prairies and headed south towards the US border to an area called the Big Muddy Badlands. The town of Coronach runs a van tour that hits most of the touristy areas, but since we were mobile, we just visited them on our own. Most of the places on their web site are not that interesting anyway, and we saved ourselves $75!

Taking a break on the gravel roads of the Big Muddy Badlands

The Big Muddy Badlands are these outcroppings of rock that look like they belong in a cowboy movie. You know the ones where the outlaw is running away from the US Marshalls, takes refuge in a cave in the hills and is in turn ambushed by Indians, and then all of them are chased by alien bounty hunters that look like Olivia Wilde...

Castle Butte in the background

We spent most of the afternoon walking around Castle Butte, a large outcropping of sandstone and clay in the Big Muddy Badlands. It's the largest structure in the valley and was used by early settlers as a navigation landmark.

Bikes in front of Castle Butte

Exploring the spooky caves at Castle Butte. This one reminded me of the movie The Descent. Scary!

The badlands extend south into Montana, which boasts more desert landscapes, and is more typical of Western movies. Saskatchewan only has a tiny area of badlands north of the Canada/US border.

Neda's butt walking around Castle Butte

Neda surveying the view on top of Castle Butte

Walking along the spine of Castle Butte

Bikes in the background below

GQ, here I come!

Leaving Castle Butte

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 07:26 AM Reason: Fixing tenting typos
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote