Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #1546
wellsit
Recently Parolled

Oddometer: 13
Just finished reading this report. Dunno how I missed it before. Easily one of the best I've read on this site. You two are an inspiration!
wellsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #1547
CourtRand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
We hope to see you in Quito! Be sure to stop in and we can help you with a map and some great routes here...

+593(0)98-176-2340 http://FreedomBikeRental.com
court@freedombikerental.com
CourtRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #1548
Iman01
n00b

Oddometer: 2
South America must be pretty awesome... every time you get there this thread stops getting updated...
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #1549
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 496
Haha, it seems that way, doesn't it?

We are taking a bit of an extended break in Colombia. Just enjoying doing nothing for a change. Should get back to the riding and writing soon.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:20 AM   #1550
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,512
Hey, it takes great discipline to goof off and have fun in Colombia. I have met dozens of riders who seem to be pressured to ride to the ends of the earth. I say enjoy each day. Hanging out in a hammock and relaxing is an important life skill. If you find a nice spot, hang out. If an area gives you the creeps, keep riding. You guys have the right idea. No need to burn yourself out in the first few months.

Alas, the Colombian visa is only for three months and I’ve been here 80+ days so I guess I have to ride south.

Hope to see you down the road someday.

Your ADVpal,
Tio Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 04:27 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #1551
GAGirlMissingMyRide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Enjoy reading your report. So envious ! Hope Columbia is relaxing. Thanks for sharing with us - keep us posted.
GAGirlMissingMyRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #1552
Dkizerian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
This has been such great RR so far, thank you for sharing and inspiring!

Enjoy your down-time!
Dkizerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 AM   #1553
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 363
Your ride report has been one of the first things I check out when visiting this forum. Given the amount of work it must take, your persistence in keeping it going is quite remarkable. Hope you are having a great time during this hiatus.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #1554
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Haha, it seems that way, doesn't it?

We are taking a bit of an extended break in Colombia. Just enjoying doing nothing for a change. Should get back to the riding and writing soon.
I'm not surprised. Colombia is a beautiful place with beautiful people and culture.
Watch out for the aquardiente, it packs a punch.
Can't wait for this chapter report. ;)
Enjoy the r&r and look forward to your rides again.

Safe travels.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #1555
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,186
Travel fatigue really sets in, doesn't it. After 7 months rambling around the US, I can relate. Relax as long as you need, the roads never end, and will wait for you. Safe Travels when you get back out there

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #1556
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Thumbs down Work Fatigue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dalone View Post
Travel fatigue really sets in, doesn't it.
I'll like to find out what that feels like..........instead I have waiting for my vaction time to arrive fatigue...... so I can go for my long 3 week ride
twisted-hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #1557
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted-hog View Post
I'll like to find out what that feels like..........instead I have waiting for my vaction time to arrive fatigue...... so I can go for my long 3 DAY ride
fixed that to fit my schedule.

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #1558
johnnybgood8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Cmon guys
johnnybgood8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:33 AM   #1559
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 496
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/127.html

Neda is getting impatient.

It's been a month since we arrived in Taganga, and since then, barring the occasional trip outside our hotel to grab a bite to eat, I've been content to watch the hot, lazy march of days file past our balcony window. If this was a movie, there'd be a time-lapse shot of the sun rising and setting about 30 or so times over the bay of Taganga with me in the foreground lying motionless in a hammock.

But Neda is getting impatient.

Binge watching TV shows. Seven seasons of Bones flash by in the blink of an eye...

After our dash (yet again) through Central America to catch the ship to Cartagena, this is the first real opportunity to relax and not have any appointments in front of us. I needed the world to shrink to the size of this small town... actually, I was even happy having the whole world be the size of our room overlooking the beach.

For Neda, Taganga was too small. Even her bi-weekly ride to Santa Marta was not enough. Although we both agreed we weren't ready to be nomadic again, she needed a larger homebase to settle in - hopefully somewhere with a well-equipped kitchen so she could pursue her love of cooking, instead of eating out of tiny cube fridge in the room. I felt like I was living with a caged lion, pacing restlessly back and forth in the confined little space of this tiny Caribbean resort-town.

To be fair, if Neda wrote this blog entry, it would read, "I felt like I was living with a hibernating bear."

Our friends from the Stahlratte, Simon (with his IV) and Anne

I did manage to make it outside of Taganga a few times. We've been keeping in contact with the travelers we met on the Stahlratte and we were surprised that our backpacking friends, Simon and Anne from Germany, were still in Colombia. In fact they were in Santa Marta, just down the road. Because of our glacial travel pace, we've watched all the motorcycle travelers from the Darien Gap crossing zoom past us to points further south.

Unfortunately, the reason why they were still in town was because Simon got the dreaded Dengue Fever. It's quite a nasty sickness, with two stages: an initial flu-like period lasting 4 days, and then a critical phase from Day 4-10 when the illness could develop into a fatal Hemorrhagic Fever. I suspect he got bitten in mosquito-infested Cartagena - the incubation period is anywhere from a few days till up to two weeks!

Simon's doctor Wendy and her young son take us for some Dengue Therapy

We visited Simon in Santa Marta and found out his doctor was based in Taganga, just down the street from our hotel. So the next time he came into town for his check-up, we also dropped into the clinic to see how he was doing. His doctor was super-nice, she told us she modeled her patient-care style around Patch Adams, the old Robin Williams movie, treating her patients less impersonally and more like friends.

We got that sense right away - Because it was the weekend and it was supposed to be her day off, Wendi was going to take Simon and Anne to the beach for some outdoor recuperation. And we were invited too! What a cool doctor!

You don't need to contract Dengue Fever to enjoy a dip in the ocean!

Wendy's son inspects the day's catch

The beaches where we lounged for the day was also a homebase for some local fishermen

We watched as they pulled some of the nets ashore

The owner of the Dive Centre where we're staying also invited us out on one of the dives. He lent us some snorkeling equipment and we got to swim around the corals with his scuba customers. It's not the best time of year for scuba, there's a lot of wind and the choppy waters didn't make for clear viewing underwater, but hey, it was free and it was a really nice gesture on the owner's part

< Cue Jaws music >

Brain coral

This was the last picture my (not-so) waterproof camera took

I was planning to do some dive videography, but unfortunately, my waterproof camera got waterlogged and went belly-up. Second waterproof camera to die a watery death on this trip. That was kind of disappointing. This was all I could salvage before the camera turned into an expensive brick:

I like Taganga a lot. I wouldn't have minded staying here to relax a bit longer, but Neda need somewhere a bit more homey so we're packing our panniers and climbing back on the bikes tomorrow to find a more suitable place to settle down for a bit longer!
Old 02-05-2014, 04:24 AM   #1560
mopulga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Loving your reports!
mopulga is offline   Reply With Quote