Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #1576
Mafketel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22

cliffhangers are ok in fiction... not in real life.

Hope u r ok.

.... well obviously u r because this is posted....
did not realize the reporting was a bit behind ;)

Mafketel screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 05:11 PM Reason: Fri Dec 13 2013: Walking the Camino Real
Mafketel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #1577
BCBackRoads
Travels with Gumby

Oddometer: 154
Actually, Neda is here primarily for the hiking. I'm here because I followed her motorcycle...

[/QUOTE]

Neda is a doll! You better keep following her.

I've been following along for quite some time and I love this ride report. Good photos, good writing, good humour and good people!

I hope your cliffhanger isn't quite as dramatic as it sounds. Good health to you.

Wayne
Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #1578
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafketel View Post
did not realize the reporting was a bit behind ;)
Got so lazy... Now I have a big backlog of stuff to sort through and document!

Neda has noted that I seem to be more productive when we're on the move, than when we're staying put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBackRoads View Post
I hope your cliffhanger isn't quite as dramatic as it sounds. Good health to you.
Thanks for the concern and well wishes, Wayne! Still alive, kicking and typing!
Old 02-11-2014, 04:43 AM   #1579
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Still alive, kicking and typing!
Glad to here. Love this ride report
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #1580
flyorride
Amputee rider

Oddometer: 43
Bravo

I am another follower who doesn't pipe up too often. Just wanted you to know that untold numbers of us look forward to your updates and photos. I know for me it lightens my day in the midst of a nasty winter. After reading about you guys I go out and crank up my KLR and take a spin through the snow, bring her back in and wipe the mud off. I had Dengue in Mexico in 92. You'll know when you get it. It was the number one cause of suicides aboard ship in WWII .
You guys be safe.

"If I could get wings on this bastard I'd be in heaven" me2
flyorride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #1581
Komar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
For two days I did not sleep, did not work, did not eat, did not drink, I read your RR only.
The way that you have come, events that survived, the people who you meet, landscapes that are seen are so extraordinary, wonderful, unique, that words fail to express my admiration.
Photos are just unearthly.
I warmly congratulate and look forward to the sequel.
Komar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #1582
Mafketel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Got so lazy... Now I have a big backlog of stuff to sort through and document!
It's just 2 months .... I am still contemplating if I should put any of our trips up ... at least the ones with pictures...(slides)
1997 - round the baltic sea with 2 day bonus love parade in Berlin and midweek craziness in the vattenfestival
2000 - down and up to Istanbul

after that due to the lack of pictures no clue where we went, syria/jordan/israel/syria, walked some of the Appalachian trial, did a follow the coast line from nl to porto, some central america with public transport, and almost every year NL-Italy-nl. "Blew up" an engine on one blasting up a mountain in france, continued to italy (max 4000rpm without noise aka 80km/u) and then back to NL, an extra 2000km with one bust big-end bearing.

the rest more recent but still no pictures or not with moto.
2008 - nice trip nl - sardignia - biaritz - nl
2007 - boston Ontario toronto b'flo boston by car.
2009 - nl - brindisi - nl with a friend on a ancient 200cc vespa
etc etc

you get the drift with my 3 or 4 posts here ;) there is lazy and lazy

I do really appreciate the time you put in it
Mafketel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #1583
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/130.html

We've both been getting sick a lot lately, we seem to be taking turns one after another. It's quite annoying, but thankfully now that's we're past the Darien Gap, our schedule has freed up enough to slot in the occasionally illness with little to no advance warning... Bring it on, Disease and Pestilence! (just kidding, please don't...)

The doctor came by and cleared me of The Dengue, so we all breathed a sigh of relief. However, it would be a whole week in bed before I was ready to leave San Gil.

Negotiating the twisty highway south out of San Gil

Our plan is to head westwards, but the main highway goes north a bit before turning west at Bucaramanga - exactly where we came from, so we had an idea to journey on another highway south, and then take a smaller road northwest. Looks to be the same mileage, but it should give us some different sights, especially when we get off the highway.

At Barbosa, we get off the main highway and take a gravel road northwest

We pass by some very small villages and heads turn as they watch a couple of monstrosities on two wheels trundle by

Sometimes the small road turns into a narrow dirt path, made a bit slick by the earlier rains

Jungle-aya!

We both love riding off-this-beaten path. It really felt like you were riding through the heart of the Colombian jungle, like any moment you would need to get off the bike and hack away at the overgrowth with your (BMW Motorrad) Machete to cut a trail in order for you to ride your bike further! :)

Girls wanna talk about bikes? Neda is ecstatic!

We stopped for a water break in a larger town and these two girls approached Neda and started asking about her bike. Normally guys of all ages, from little boys to old men, are the ones interested in the motorcycles, so these two girls were quite out-of-the-ordinary! Neda was so happy to talk bikes with them!

Back on the main highway heading westbound

We stopped for the evening in Puerto Berrio. It's a very small town, but seems to have spent most of it's annual budget for Christmas lights!

Christmas lights strung up in Puerto Berrio

An evening out under the stars

Neon Nativity

Watching an evening wedding ceremony from outside the church

Christmas lights as far as the eyes can see

Puerto Berrio is so small that there really isn't a hotel. We asked around and we were directed to a place about 3kms outside of town. It was a Love Hotel!!! Our first experience with Love Hotels outside of San Salvador was not a pleasant experience, so we were a bit hesitant about staying the night here. But after checking out the room, we were surprised when it was actually a nice place. The first room we saw was the deluxe suite and it had a stripper pole in the middle! :) But the room we booked was a normal motel-like room - no stripper pole, no mirrors on the ceiling...

Even the skankiest Love Hotels have private garages - so the neighbourhood won't know who's LoveHotel-ing

Throughout the evening, we heard lots of partying in the other rooms. With so multi-generational families living under a single roof in Latin America, the Love Hotel becomes a very popular place to get away from the relatives.

We continued traveling westwards early the next morning.

Stopped for breakfast in this small town that pretty much consisted of this diner and a few other buildings

Our bikes got a lot of attention while we ate inside

Riding through some very peaceful countryside scenery

Good to be out riding!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #1584
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
With so multi-generational families living under a single roof in Latin America, the Love Hotel becomes a very popular place to get away from the relatives.
That's true of life here in Japan, too. There are some areas that seem to have no industry beyond a collection of love hotels. Nasty ones can be really skanky, but nicer ones are a good deal of fun.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:52 AM   #1585
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komar View Post
I warmly congratulate and look forward to the sequel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota View Post
Love this ride report
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyorride View Post
Just wanted you to know that untold numbers of us look forward to your updates and photos.
Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
That's true of life here in Japan, too. There are some areas that seem to have no industry beyond a collection of love hotels. Nasty ones can be really skanky, but nicer ones are a good deal of fun.
hehe... Before ultimately deciding to do this trip, we were in the middle of planning one of our annual fly'n'ride 3-week vacations to Japan. We had motorcycle rentals all lined up and everything. The thing that I most wanted to do was to stay in one of those tiny capsule hotels with the tube that you sleep in! I think that would be the coolest thing ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafketel View Post
after that due to the lack of pictures no clue where we went
That's the rationale behind our blog - to keep a record of the where we went, things we saw and did and people that we met along the way. When I first started riding, I posted a couple of ride reports of some trips I did out in western Canada. Unfortunately, the forum website crashed and I lost the reports which kinda sucks. So since then, I started saving them on our own site.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:24 AM   #1586
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/131.html

We're in search for somewhere to call home for a while. Although there's a certain romanticism around the nomadic lifestyle, we're finding we're now craving a balance of stability and routine - somewhere where we can stock the fridge without having to label our food, use all the pots and pans in the kitchen and not have to clean up immediately, walk around in our underwear... No wait, I do that last one everywhere I stay anyway...

Passing one of the small towns heading westwards from Puerto Berrio to Medellin

Riding into the big city!

This is the bustling metropolis of Medellin - the second-largest city in Colombia. The Spanish language in this country is a bit different than what we're used to - the double "ll" in Medellin is pronounced like a "J" instead of a "Y". So we teach our family and friends back home how to pronounce Medellin by telling them that it rhymes with Neda-Gene.

A city with a name like NedaGene, how can we not stay here for a while?

Hostel Casa Kiwi: "Just throw your motorcycle over there behind those plants..."

We booked into a hostel for a few days to get our bearings in Medellin. The plan is to search around for an apartment, which should greatly reduce the cost of our accommodations.

Crashing a Christmas Party. What's ADV.com anyway...?

Just a few days into our stay, we were spotted on the road by Marc, another ADVRider who was traveling southwards as well. We were invited to a Christmas dinner at the Shamrock Pub, just a couple of blocks away from the hostel that we were staying at.

Birds of a feather feasting together, while Valentino cooks up some mean ribs

We spent the evening hanging out with the latest group of motorcycle travelers who just got off the Stahlratte. The sailboat has dropped off two sets of bikers and backpackers in the time that we've been here! We feel like we're the welcome wagon to Colombia, and we'll soon be waving goodbye to these travelers as they make their way onwards.

We travel slow. Oh well...

Hey we got a kitchen! And an apartment came with it as well! Neda is super-stoked!

The search for an apartment was quite painless. We got a referral from the Casa that we were staying in in San Gil the week before. When we dropped in to take a look at it, we fell in love with the place immediately. Located on the second floor of high-rise condominium, it's got a walk-out balcony where we can sit down and eat or read a book. It's in a very nice part of town called El Poblado. There's a grocery store right across the street and the subway is a 5 minute walk away.

World-famous NedaBurgers make a return, with home fries and a side of sauteed mushrooms. Fancy!

I got a Man-Cave! Well... a Man-Corner...

We can catch a bit of sun out here on our balcony

The weather in Medellin is very temperate, even though we're fairly close to the equator. Because we're 5000 feet above sea level up in the mountains of Colombia, the average is about 22C all year round, it can get to 30C in the hottest part of the day and then down to 15C overnight. Because of its unchanging climate, Medellin has often been referred to as "La Ciudad de la Eterna Primavera" (The City of Eternal Spring).

In other words, the perfect place to settle down for a bit.

By contrast, Toronto is suffering from the worst ice storm it's had in several decades. Over half-a-million homes were without power in the dead of winter. When we tried Skyping with my folks for Christmas, we found out that they had to relocate to a friend's house because their house was without heat or electricity.

Although we feel bad for our family and friends, I kinda feel a bit smug sitting down here in the City of Eternal Spring... hehehe....

So we get this idea that we'll ride everywhere in Medellin.
That idea dies a quick death when we get stuck in the city's horrible traffic...

...so these are our new wheels!

Medellin is very much a large, modern city. With a population of about 2 million, it's about the same size as Toronto. All the amenities are available here, and within walking distance there are plenty of huge malls, one dedicated to just electronics! I'm in heaven!

Every once in a while, we take a day-trip downtown, about 5 subway stops away

Vera Cruz Church. Behind the scenes: Neda ran into the courtyard
flapping her arms to scare up these birds... Locals not amused...

Sunlight on the Vera Cruz Church

Found some time to get our shaggy-dos trimmed. Shamefully, it's been months overdue...

What the heck are these things?

We were fascinated by the Parque de Las Luces (Park of Lights) downtown. It's as if a convention of giant Jedis just threw their lightsabers into the ground and went off to have lunch somewhere. We stuck around all afternoon and into the evening to watch them light up:

I sense a disturbance in the Force... or at least a disturbance in the city's electrical grid

Lightsaber Park is quite a sight at night

Popular place to hang out

The Parque de Las Luces was right next to this very avant-garde-looking building

Things are looking up for Neda

Buildings nicely lit up downtown

Can't get enough of the lightsabers

Christmas lights decorate the streets of Medellin

Streetside vendors take up valuable lane space downtown

Peldar Bridge, just a few blocks away from our apartment, all lit up for the Christmas season

Oh yeah, our second Christmas on the road... Kinda cool...!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:10 AM   #1587
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
This is terrific!

Now we'll be wondering how Gene and Neda are doing when we hear news from Medellin, Columbia.

Quote:
This is the bustling metropolis of Medellin - the second-largest city in Colombia. The Spanish language in this country is a bit different than what we're used to - the double "ll" in Medellin is pronounced like a "J" instead of a "Y". So we teach our family and friends back home how to pronounce Medellin by telling them that it rhymes with Neda-Gene.

A city with a name like NedaGene, how can we not stay here for a while?

2012 Concours 1400 (an adventuring bike!)

My one and only ride report . . . Iron Butt Association member 50689
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #1588
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
That you guys settle in to a place for a while and then move on is just one of the things that makes this an excellent, and very different, ride report. Looking forward to learning more about Medellin through your eyes. To many Americans (and perhaps Canadians, too) of a certain age, the name "Medellin" immediately evokes the word "cartel", thanks to the media of the time that linked those two terms on a daily basis (or so it seemed) but never seemed to find the time or page space to give a complete picture of the city and its people. Looking forward to reading your experiences there, admittedly decades after "cartel time."
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #1589
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP underwater video
Camera broke. :(
dangit! right at the best part!

just getting caught up on your ride, awesome to see you guys settling in for a bit. and what a place to settle!

are you guys planning on finding work there?

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #1590
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,065
Really amazing photos, always look forward to your reports