Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #1591
Balanda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Medellin looks like a beautiful city, looking forward to more pic's of it. Did you travel through Manizales? I'd love to see a few photo's of there.
Balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #1592
bent forks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Chrismas party? Just how far are you behind in your posts? Not complaining just want a time referance and are
you still in Medellin

PS I really enjoy reading your reports even if you are not riding. Seeing all the sites in the cities and towns
as you walk, shop, or ride transit is still better than -30C and six foot high snow banks hiding in the basement
with the comforter pull up to my nose.

"Tragically imprisoned by a Canadian winter" Lappeman
Escaped 2014-2015 to Arizona
bent forks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #1593
blues bob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Oh great thanks

You two have stimulated my senses; you make me (us) want to live our lives more fully. Your humor, candid expression of emotion, your love for life and each other, the clear portrayal of other cultures, just splendid!! Adventure of a lifetime--seen thru your eyes-- just doesn't get any better than this. Can't thank you enough. Blessings to you. May joy, safety, and abundance of life follow you wherever you ride.
blues bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:21 AM   #1594
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
hehe... Before ultimately deciding to do this trip, we were in the middle of planning one of our annual fly'n'ride 3-week vacations to Japan. We had motorcycle rentals all lined up and everything. The thing that I most wanted to do was to stay in one of those tiny capsule hotels with the tube that you sleep in! I think that would be the coolest thing ever.
Capsule hotels are definitely an interesting experience, but not what I'd call "coolest thing ever". The good side is that it's novel. The bad side is that these establishments are patronized by inebriated salarymen who are too drunk to make the train home. Soundproofing in the cubicles is slim to slimmer, so you get to partake in all of the snoring amongst all the guys crashing there on your particular wall. That can be up to 30 or more guys on one floor.

My advice: Bring earplugs.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #1595
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by motocopter View Post
This is terrific!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
Really amazing photos, always look forward to your reports
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues bob View Post
May joy, safety, and abundance of life follow you wherever you ride.
Thanks, guys! We really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
are you guys planning on finding work there?
No, it's just a rest stop to regroup. Unless I can get compensated for working hard at doing nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
To many Americans (and perhaps Canadians, too) of a certain age, the name "Medellin" immediately evokes the word "cartel"
These days "Pablo Escobar" in Medellin refers more to the amusement park just outside of town than it does cartel or crime. But it may just be the neighbourhood we're staying in. Whenever we mention we're in El Poblado, we get the low whistle and the ooh-la-la look. Lots of gringos around here as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanda View Post
Did you travel through Manizales?
We haven't made it to Manizales yet, heard it's beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent forks View Post
Chrismas party? Just how far are you behind in your posts?
Let's see: Valentines Day minus Christmas Day, give or take a Chunukah... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Soundproofing in the cubicles is slim to slimmer, so you get to partake in all of the snoring amongst all the guys crashing there on your particular wall. That can be up to 30 or more guys on one floor.

My advice: Bring earplugs.
Can't be any worse than the dorm rooms in the hostels that we've stayed in. A few nights ago, there was a girl in the bunk beside us who was sleep-talking up a storm all through the night. Being a night owl, I'm normally the last to fall asleep, so I was up even later than usual wishing that I understood Swedish. What she was mumbling sounded pretty important...
Old 02-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #1596
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
We just tried this tonight:

Whoo-weeeee!

Now we're seeing it in all the grocery stores, it comes in large glass bottles, small plastic bottles and even smaller cardboard boxes like those juiceboxes!
Haha, good times!
Colombians drink that stuff like water.

So nice to see you guys enjoying Medellin too. I loved that city. Very cosmo & busy.
Lots of cool restos and clubs around La Zona Rosa.
Some of the best looking women I've seen was there.

And yes, every gringo/tourist usually do the pilgrimage to Escobars grave.
Locals won't tell you where its located so its a challenge.

Also, with the amount of drugs and the stigma of cartels in that country, the locals don't talk much about it and would rather visitors see the country in only its beauty and culture.
Yes, Colombia has got beauty & culture in spades.

Take care N & G.
Thanks for the updates.

Dave
Old 02-17-2014, 05:21 AM   #1597
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/132.html

Medellin is located in the Aburra Valley. The city creeps up both eastern and western slopes like an urban kudzu, eclipsing the mountainside underneath, threatening to crawl up even beyond the horizon. From any point in the heart of the city, you can see the terracotta-roofed urban sprawl curving upwards as if you were inside a Dyson Sphere.

Because we are in a valley, there is a permanent haze as the mountains trap smog and pollution...

...Despite that, we still love staying in our new adopted city!

One thing Neda didn't like was this tiny pueblito...

To relieve Neda of her planning duties, I did a bit of research and found a tourist attraction not too far from our apartment called Pueblito Paisa (Paisa is the name that people from Medellin call themselves). It's a little replica turn-of-the-century villa built on top of a hill called Cerro Nutibarra, which I keep referring to as Nutbar Hill.

Neda wasn't impressed, saying it reminded her of Epcot Center: "Why would you visit the France Pavilion when you've already been to the real country?" But isn't the most popular pavilion at Epcot Center the USA Pavilion...? In your face, Neda!

The view of the city from up here was nice though...

Cat hangs out in the fake church inside Pueblita Falsa. I think they actually do hold services here.

Street painting in Parque Lleras

Dropped into the Medellin KTM dealership

KTM has quite a lot of 200cc-400cc motorcycles on the showroom floor. It makes sense as there's no need for 115hp with the traffic and road conditions here, plus being small, light and agile means being able to lane split and filter through the constant jams and gridlock. Riding a motorcycle down here means saving an hour each day in commute time to work and back.

Limited Edition is KTM-Speak for Pay More For Decals

Beautiful city, horrible traffic!

Apparently I took this picture not during Rush Hour. You can still see pavement...

I was really missing playing music for a long time now, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money buying an instrument that I knew I would just have to leave behind. So one day, while browsing the music stores, I found a cheap $40 guitar to bang away on! It doesn't stay in tune for very long though...

...And now I'd like to play an ancient Chinese folk song called Too Ning...

We're two weeks into our month-long lease on our Medellin apartment and we are loving it! Life is muy tranquil. Neda peruses the grocery store daily coming up with dishes for us to try now that we have a kitchen. Even though this is supposed to be down-time for us, compared to me, she is a whirling dervish. All throughout this trip she has been preparing and giving weekly English lessons to her niece in Italy over Skype. Now she is able to devote more time and energy towards it.

I am able to devote more time and energy into doing nothing. :)

We're really enjoying having home-cooked meals again. Easy on the budget and the waistline!

Neda has been trying out new recipes. This is her No-Cream Mushroom Soup and Soft-Cheese and Spinach Crepes

I think back to my reservations about leaving the tiny haven of Taganga and now it all seems so silly. Everything is much better here: the weather, having our own place, having more stuff to see in the city. Neda did her research very well. To her credit, not once does she say "Told ya so".

I totally would have...

Checkered cathedral of Plaza Botero behind the "Plump Fellow in Hat"

Gigantic bronze sculptures of chubby men, women and horses are littered all over the Plaza Botero, which is named after the artist who sculpted them, Fernando Botero. We were first exposed to his Rubenesque figures when we first arrived on Colombia's shores so long ago in Cartagena. That was almost 9 months ago! We haven't traveled very far since then...

On the weekends, the plaza gets super-busy - tons of tourists posing in front of the sculptures, and kids climbing all over them. In the middle of the day the bronze gets very hot, so not so many kids climbing then...

Hey kiddies, you can ride the pretty horsey if you don't mind a bit of seared flesh...

Back streets and the alleyways of Medellin

North American Indians? In Colombia? Last time we saw this was back in Winnipeg
However, they weren't playing Peruvian flutes back then... LOL!

In NedaGene, even the malls are cool-looking

Open air shopping experience

I'm next!

Antique train sits as a monument in what used to be the old railway station in the heart of downtown Medellin

The railway system, constructed in the 1870s, used to be an important transportation network in Antioquia, hauling gold from the mines and then later coffee to all parts of the department. The trains stopped running by the 1960s, having been overtaken by the new highways being built and truckers hauling cargo faster, cheaper and further than the rail.

As we rode through the mountains of Antioquia to get to Medellin, we would often see remnants of the rail system - no tracks, but huge circular holes in the mountain face just large enough for a train to run through.

A rainbow of variety in the streetside snacks

One nice thing about having a (temporary) permanent address is that we can get stuff shipped to us now. We took the opportunity to get some motorcycle stuff mailed to us that we couldn't find locally. Surprisingly, you can't find Heidenau tires at all in Medellin. When we asked the BMW dealer in town, his response was, "Our riders like to go fast", so nothing but street tires sold here. Our Tourance fronts were getting worn down, so we had to get a couple of K60 fronts shipped from Bogota.

I installed a mini wading pool in the back, just like those El Caminos with their beds lined with garbage bags!
Helps with the MonkeyButt at the end of a long riding day...

I had to get one of my heated handgrips fixed, so we headed down to the dealership to get our fronts replaced as well. I've seen some other adventure riders roam all over the world with an extra set of tires strapped to the back. After having just ridden 2kms from the apartment to the dealership with these tires behind me, I don't know how anyone could do it for thousands of miles, month after month. They're freakin' heavy!

Cool tank decal! "Adventure" is BMW-Speak for "Let's make your off-road bike heavier and less suitable for... Adventure..."

Neda's bike is next in line for a frontirectomy
Old 02-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #1598
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/131.html

It's as if a convention of giant Jedis just threw their lightsabers into the ground and went off to have lunch somewhere.
You always crack me up Gene!
Your pictures are superb and your comments just great. Neda looks hot too! ;-)
I feel like I'm really getting to know you although that ofcourse if not mutual...
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #1599
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/132.html
So one day, while browsing the music stores, I found a cheap $40 guitar to bang away on! It doesn't stay in tune for very long though...

I installed a mini wading pool in the back, just like those El Caminos with their beds lined with garbage bags!
Helps with the MonkeyButt at the end of a long riding day...

I had to get one of my heated handgrips fixed, so we headed down to the dealership to get our fronts replaced as well. I've seen some other adventure riders roam all over the world with an extra set of tires strapped to the back. After having just ridden 2kms from the apartment to the dealership with these tires behind me, I don't know how anyone could do it for thousands of miles, month after month. They're freakin' heavy!
So, you only paid $40, its an extra $20 for one that stays in tune :-)

A few years back, when I was heading to AK from TX, I got the KLR650 all loaded with a set of TKC's on the back. Hopped on the bike in the morning to head and my wife just laughed as the suspension need seemed like it bottomed out. Eck.

So, reconfigure, get rid of the tires, and went off leaving the TKC's in TX.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your journeys, stay safe, and rest on.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #1600
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 453
Working my way through this report. Great pics, if there was one place I'd like to spend more time in, it would be Medellin, eternal spring... Amazingly beautiful down there. Glad you're having a good time.

Cheers!
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped

lukeman screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 04:07 PM
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #1601
Vic5491
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I have never read a RR that I have enjoyed so much and I have enjoyed plenty of them! You guys are GREAT and an inspiration to all to live life fully. Unfortunately few can do what you are doing even if they wanted to.

How long do you envision your travels will last before you have to rejoin the rest of us on planet earth?

And, if it is not too personal, what type of work did the two of you do before this trip? Will you likely go back to the same careers when this journey ends?

My hat is off to you for sure! And, if you end up in the Atlanta area, let me know ahead of time. If I am going to be here, you are welcome to stay in my home for awhile!

Vic
Vic5491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #1602
Mittens001
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Incredible!!

As with all of your other readers/followers I'm in amazement of you two, truly the trip of a lifetime. You do a superb job with your write ups and humor, and you're both very talented photographers.

I know others have asked about the financials of the whole endeavor, but I'm curious what amount you guys started with, and where you are now....if you don't mind me asking. :)

Many thanks for the incredible amount of time sharing your journey with us.
Mittens001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:05 AM   #1603
naveenroy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:

Dropped into the Medellin KTM dealership

KTM has quite a lot of 200cc-400cc motorcycles on the showroom floor. It makes sense as there's no need for 115hp with the traffic and road conditions here, plus being small, light and agile means being able to lane split and filter through the constant jams and gridlock. Riding a motorcycle down here means saving an hour each day in commute time to work and back.
Nice to see bikes manufactured in India end up in Colombia. Good bikes for cutting in and out of traffic.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #1604
Fat Bear
Iron Butt #48477

Oddometer: 41
This is one of the very best ride reports that I've ever read! You are a wonderful story teller and educator! Although I will never be in a position to do what you're doing, I sure love reading about it!
Fat Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #1605
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schussboelie View Post
I feel like I'm really getting to know you
I hate to disappoint you but in person, I'm nowhere near as devastatingly handsome as the pictures I've posted here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
So, you only paid $40, its an extra $20 for one that stays in tune :-)
You can't tuna fish, but you can tune a guitar... And you can save $20 in the process which buys you a whole buncha tuna fish. The economics of being on the road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
if there was one place I'd like to spend more time in, it would be Medellin, eternal spring... Amazingly beautiful down there. Glad you're having a good time.
Thanks! It was a perfect place to recuperate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic5491 View Post
How long do you envision your travels will last before you have to rejoin the rest of us on planet earth?

And, if it is not too personal, what type of work did the two of you do before this trip? Will you likely go back to the same careers when this journey ends?
We did a bunch of different things before we left. I was in sales, was an MSF instructor and I helped a friend launch a motorcycle magazine. Neda was in social services, was also an MSF instructor and just completed her certification to become a fitness instructor right before we started the trip.

We're not sure of what we're going to do when we get back. Haven't thought that far in advance yet. No idea how long we're going to go for either. It really depends on how expensive things get depending on which direction we go. Right now we're just really focused on experiencing South America, which might take a bit of time so we'll reassess the budget after this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittens001 View Post
I know others have asked about the financials of the whole endeavor, but I'm curious what amount you guys started with, and where you are now....if you don't mind me asking. :)
We started off with "I Think This Is Enough...", and right now we have "Not Staying At The Radisson Anytime Soon..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Nice to see bikes manufactured in India end up in Colombia.
Not only KTMs. By far the most popular motorcycle on the road in Colombia, as well as Central America, is the Bajaj Pulsar! No Enfields though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Bear View Post
This is one of the very best ride reports that I've ever read! You are a wonderful story teller and educator!
Thanks for the kind words!