Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #1831
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 379
Gene and Neda-thanks again for an entertaining lunch at the cube farm. I had to make sure I had my headphones on before I hit play on the video, as I have come to expect a happy surprise with the audio portion of your videos. Thanks for taking the time to post.

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #1832
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Wedge View Post
I had to make sure I had my headphones on before I hit play on the video, as I have come to expect a happy surprise with the audio portion of your videos.
I have a lot of fun making the videos. I mix the audio with headphones on because I want it to be a surprise when I unveil the finished product to Neda. So while I'm snickering away working on it, she'll *always* remark, "You're very pleased with yourself, aren't you?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopulga View Post
I am leaving in August for 10 or so months, and while I was thinking about riding central america, my thoughts have shifted to just start my ride in Colombia. I am searching daily for shipping companies to Colombia and I think I might be getting closer!
10 months? Judging from how fast we travel, we should still be in the area... See you then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.Rock View Post
I give you even more props for *riding* in the city of Bogota. I'd heard traffic was bad there, but until you experience it... You. Have. No. Idea.

I think I'd feel safer riding a scooter around the Daytona Speedway.
During a NASCAR race.
In the rain.
Drunk.
LOL! So true and spoken like someone who's had first-hand experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik500 View Post
Like this ?
Close...

That's the base 999 - it's missing about $20K worth of go-fast bits, front suspension, radial calipers and carbon fiber parts that the 999R has. The owner just put an aftermarket Xerox fairing on it to make it look like an R.

I know all this because I did the same thing to my track bike:

Just last night, Neda and I were reminiscing about our old sportbikes. We both miss being out on the track alot.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #1833
Daggerdoggie
nOOb again

Oddometer: 82
It has taken me three days to read through this thread.

What an adventure!

What brave people you are!

I want to do this!
Daggerdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #1834
White6Romeo
Because Im Awesome

Oddometer: 320
This is one of my favorite threads. Keep the adventure going. Thank you so much for sharing!!!
White6Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:16 AM   #1835
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post

Close...

That's the base 999 - it's missing about $20K worth of go-fast bits, front suspension, radial calipers and carbon fiber parts that the 999R has. The owner just put an aftermarket Xerox fairing on it to make it look like an R.

I know all this because I did the same thing to my track bike:

Just last night, Neda and I were reminiscing about our old sportbikes. We both miss being out on the track alot.
You tracked a 999? NICE! I got my trusty 748 with some tasty upgrades in the garage wanting to be registered (it immigrated from Italy with me) but have been thinking about saving it for track days....still on the fence though. Got a buddy who keeps insisting I do it...but I love riding it....first world problems man
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #1836
Jofuji
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i'd take a shitty muddy road and a dump while be on a year plus vacation any day over work back at the office.
+1!!!
Jofuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #1837
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone11 11 View Post
I got my trusty 748 with some tasty upgrades in the garage wanting to be registered (it immigrated from Italy with me) but have been thinking about saving it for track days....still on the fence though. Got a buddy who keeps insisting I do it...but I love riding it....
It's a whole bunch of fun and the Ducs are well sorted for the track. The 999 and previous generations had Dzus fasteners which make it real easy to take the fairings off, so you can buy some track bodywork or cheap aftermarket fairings and take your 748 out on the track. Man, if I lived as close to Calabogie as you, I'd be sleeping in a trailer in their parking lot every weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone11 11 View Post
first world problems man
I know the feeling. There are a ton of Ducati ride reports on here and I remember doing exactly the same thing when we had two disposable incomes: toss a toothbrush, some underwear and a credit card in a backpack and just jump on the sportbikes and ride. Funny to see how judicious we are with our accommodation and food choices now that we've gone from DINKs to NKs. But still... very first world problems...
Old 05-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #1838
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
...we've gone from DINKs to NKs. But still... very first world problems...
Maybe you are NINKs.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #1839
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
Maybe you are NINKs.
If you ask Neda, she'd say that I'm a NINKompoop...

There's another traveling couple whose blog I'm reading, they call themselves ZINKs. That's a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Mike View Post
I see that you are on most social media platforms out there, ever consider Intagram for your photography?
It took awhile, Mike, but Neda has just been elected CIO (Chief Instagram Officer). She's going to be posting up new and old pictures from our trips, so if anyone is using Instagram, you can check us out @ride_dot or on the web at http://www.instagram.com/ride_dot

However, now that we're on IG, I expect everyone will have migrated to the next, great social networking platform. We're slow in everything, as usual...
Old 05-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #1840
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/150.html

We're headed south to the border town of Ipiales. Yes, this means we are finally leaving Colombia! I can't believe we've spent over 5 months in this country! Such a beautiful part of the world, despite the bad reputation it has in the media.

Green velour-covered mountains on the way south

Our route for the day is straight down the Pan American Highway as it winds through the Atriz Valley of the Andes highlands. It'll take us the entire day to travel the 350kms from Popayan, but it's a smooth and flowing ride interrupted only by a couple of construction sites and the city of Pasto.

Stopping to peer down into the Atriz Valley - very picturesque!

Sometimes it's easier to go through the mountain than around it

Camera's flash illuminates all the tiny particle of dust in the tunnel

My selfie got photobombed while stopped at a traffic light in Pasto

Riding into Ipiales

We're hitting the wall a little bit with travel fatigue. Although it's exciting to be entering a new country, I think we need to put our kickstands down for a couple of weeks or more, so we're going to be on the lookout for a nice place to do so. Hopefully somewhere where there's no rain...

It's still raining everyday here BTW. I'm debating not mentioning it on the blog anymore. I'll just tell you when it doesn't rain... :(

Damn birds. I'm trying to take a picture here!

"Need a light, Neda?" *kikiki*

We were looking for a bit more variety than the tipico (local) food, and there was an okay-looking Chinese restaurant across the street from our hotel, so we drop in for some spring rolls and fried rice.

We had time to reflect on our journey through Colombia: beautiful and diverse scenery, amazing people that we've met, frustrating traffic in the big cities and strange customs. They play this funny game in Latin America, it goes like this: whenever you see an Asian person, the first one to yell out, "Chino!" wins. I don't think it's derogatory or anything, they always exclaim it like they're surprised. Heck, outside of the Chinese restaurant above, the only other Asian I've seen in Colombia is the one staring back at me in the mirror! I'd be surprised too.

The strange thing is that I don't even think they are trying to get my attention, because this will happen even when I'm riding my motorcycle, and from almost-out-of-earshot-range behind me, I'll hear: "chino", so it must be a game they are playing amongst themselves.

I think the game is called, "Punchbuggy Chino". First to see one and call it out must get to punch the other Latin American in the shoulder or something... In the Chinese restaurant I saw the owner and turned to Neda and exclaimed, "Chino!" She shushed me, and punched me in the shoulder. That's *NOT* how you play it, Neda!!!

Las Lajas Sanctuary

After a couple of days, we venture just outside of town to see the famous Santuario de Las Lajas, a basilica church built on the steep slopes falling away into the Guaitara River. The original church was built in the 18th century, but this current incarnation only finished construction fairly recently, in 1949. It's quite impressive seeing it jut out from the side of the canyon.

Outside the church were hundreds of these plaques set against the canyon wall

Most of the plaques give thanks to the Virgin Mary

The scale of the church was massive

Inside, I felt like we were in a video game

When I was a kid, I used to play a video game called Quake (and Doom and Castle Wolfenstein), I could swear they modeled the maps after this church, especially the lighting.

I can tell from the look on her face, Neda knows where the rocket launcher is

Strafe Left! Strafe Right!
Neda: "What on earth are you doing? And why are you holding that camera like it's a gun?"

So gothic-looking, yet it was probably only built in the last century.

Game paused. People praying.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #1841
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:

They play this funny game in Latin America, it goes like this: whenever you see an Asian person, the first one to yell out, "Chino!" wins. I don't think it's derogatory or anything, they always exclaim it like they're surprised. Heck, outside of the Chinese restaurant above, the only other Asian I've seen in Colombia is the one staring back at me in the mirror! I'd be surprised too.
You have my empathy. I've been to some extremely isolated, small villages (more like hamlets, I suppose) here in Japan where I may possibly have been the first white bread to show up for a visit. Reactions range from intense curiosity to outright fear. It's eyeopening to be on the receiving end of such attention.

Of note, I remember meeting my soon-to-be wife's young-and-rather-hot cousin, who took great pleasure in teasing and caressing my arm hair, I guess because all the Japanese guys she knew just didn't have it to the degree that I did. Damn, that got me all hot and bothered. (I did, however, behave myself despite hormonal intentions that leaned otherwise.)

Great post, as always, Gene.
Trane Francks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #1842
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,409
Fantastic update as always!! That church is AMAZEBALLS, holy cow I've got to put that on my must-see list of things to visit someday! Wow!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #1843
Phrog
Terra Australis

Oddometer: 363
Quote:

Things have come to a boil in Neda's mood. Once again, we were in a city wracked with congestion, the sounds of traffic and car alarms piercing the air. She's very sensitive to noise and every time a loud diesel truck passes by, I can see the vein in her temple throbbing like it's going to explode. Her annoyance is mixed with a bit of malaise, as the rains have dampened her spirits and she tells me that unlike me and the blog, she feels like she doesn't have a project to keep her occupied.
I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to hear Neda give her spin on how the trip has been so far.... including the things you probably get up too but don't tell us about.

Come on Neda, what's Gene like too travel with.

Poverty is the mother of invention.
Phrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #1844
Phrog
Terra Australis

Oddometer: 363
Quote:

When I was a kid, I used to play a video game called Quake (and Doom and Castle Wolfenstein), I could swear they modeled the maps after this church, especially the lighting.

I can tell from the look on her face, Neda knows where the rocket launcher is
"Return to castle Wolfenstein" was a great game. Brings back fond memories of many wasted hours.

Poverty is the mother of invention.
Phrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #1845
nameless
100% recyclable

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
[color=DarkOrange]Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/150.html

or Prince of Persia

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
nameless is offline   Reply With Quote