User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2014, 02:23 AM   #1921
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Nah...

Close, only a couple blocks off, it's TOTALLY the Chrysler Building!!!

Save the BOOBIES!![QUOTE=Gadget_65;24270170]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post

"Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came..."

"Oh my God. I'm back. I'm home. All the time, it was... We finally really did it. You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!", George Taylor (Planet of the Apes).

Isn't that the top of the the Empire State?

06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:18 AM   #1922
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
[QUOTE=lightcycle;24271768]

Just for the record, I am Pro-Booby...
[ /QUOTE]

Even the ones you have to stay 4 feet from? Not withstanding a court order!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:39 PM   #1923
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Haha, love the video!

Besos amigos!

Pura vida!
Old 05-31-2014, 10:51 PM   #1924
Spirit_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Which "waterproof" camera died this time? I wonder because I have a Nikon AW110 and would like to know if it is up for the grave yard soon.

As has been said before Great trip and thanks for all the extra work of sharing it.
Spirit_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:48 PM   #1925
Gadget_65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Update from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/155.html

This video also marks the third waterproof camera that I've managed to drown. :( Hopefully I can find a replacement on the mainland.
Get yourself a GoPro. Waterproof to over 60 metres, full HD 1080p and 12mp stills. They have been found by scuba divers after being lost at sea for five years still functional. Fallen from skydivers to Earth and still been in working order. Some people even send them to the edge of space with weather balloons. Current model can be remotely viewed and controlled from a smart phone. Handy when it is mounted on top of your helmet.

No I don't work for GoPro but I do have a couple, original "HD" and a "3 Black", and love them. Thought you could save yourself some grief if you Go Pro and we could see more great video of your adventure.

Once again, thanks for your efforts to take us along for the ride.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #1926
twisted-hog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Thumb simply awsome

Loved your video, keep up the great RR

the twisted-hog
Baja Cerveza Conquest
twisted-hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #1927
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Awesome video, Geneo! Muchly appreciated!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #1928
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 712
[QUOTE=slowpoke69;24284907]Close, only a couple blocks off, it's TOTALLY the Chrysler Building!!!

Save the BOOBIES!!

I like boobies too!

Thanks for the continued great updats & pics!
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #1929
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Cool video!!

Thanks for sharing, really enjoy your videos, oddly enough as you went to the 1st tortoise the computer went into buffer just after he started walking, took me a bit to realize, as I just got up a bit ago.

It looks like you two are still living the good life, here"s hoping you never have to stop, because we"d all miss your entertaining RR!
Quote:
Update from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/155.html

It's been awhile since I exercised my video editing skills, so here's a wrap-up of our time in the Galapagos Islands. We're going to miss all the fun, sun and wildlife here!

This video also marks the third waterproof camera that I've managed to drown. :( Hopefully I can find a replacement on the mainland.

06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #1930
raj914
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Nice Video
Old 06-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #1931
Ajl9791
Adventurer

Oddometer: 3
Many Thanks

Just wanted to drop you two a line a say thank you. I've sat in my cubicle for to long wishing I was on the road. Your trip is amazing and truly an epic adventure. It's been an inspirational window into the beautiful unknown... sitting from behind a desk. I'll be loading up my tiger in a few short weeks and hitting the road to circle the US. Ride safe.Thanks for taking the time to share your experience...and inspire others
Ajl9791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #1932
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 525
Thanks for all the comments, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget_65 View Post
Get yourself a GoPro.
We used a GoPro on our NZ trip, it was the first gen and we weren't too happy about a few things: battery life, lack of viewfinder, everytime the camera pointed at the sun, it would turn into a black spot. The newer cams seem to have fixed this, but I'm not too much of a fan of the fisheye lens, since you have to be really close to the subject for it to look any good. That and I'd need a more powerful computer to view and edit the huge files that they output.

I'm leaning towards a Canon Powershot, a D10 or D20. Our guide in Galapagos had one, and he was able to go much deeper with his camera than ours without it imploding. I like real life experience over magazine numbers because the AW110 *was* supposed to go deeper than the PowerShot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Rider View Post
Which "waterproof" camera died this time? I wonder because I have a Nikon AW110 and would like to know if it is up for the grave yard soon.
Yes, it was the AW110 and yes, it will die a watery death if you go snorkeling with it. I have confirmed with two of them - AW100 and AW110.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:25 AM   #1933
Gadget_65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:

We used a GoPro on our NZ trip, it was the first gen and we weren't too happy about a few things: battery life, lack of viewfinder, everytime the camera pointed at the sun, it would turn into a black spot. The newer cams seem to have fixed this, but I'm not too much of a fan of the fisheye lens, since you have to be really close to the subject for it to look any good. That and I'd need a more powerful computer to view and edit the huge files that they output.
Charles Lindburg said "Never fly the "A" model of anything"

The Gopro 3 has three selectable angles of view, "Narrow, medium and the original wide". I too find the original wide angle only camera of limited use but the GoPro 3 is super versitile. Use your smart phone as a view finder/controller or, for about $100 here in Oz, attach an LCD touch screen view finder to the back. And it's still waterproof for way deeper than I am. All those waterproof to 10m cameras are good for the rain or in the shower but everyone I know with one has drowned it by about the second time in the water. Gopros just keep going after years under water.

The 3 is also a fair bit smaller that the original HD.

Battery life is an issue at a little over 2 hours but cheap enough at around $30 to carry a charged spare or three.

Really worth another look IMHO. Come on, I want to see some more under water HD! One good, reliable camera has to be better value than three or four disposable 10m cameras. If all the people reading this RR send $1 you could get a Gopro to entertain us.

Cheers,

Ian
Old 06-06-2014, 04:28 AM   #1934
Spirit_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Our 110 survived a little snorkeling and a scuba dive, maybe we should start hunting a replacement now!

I love your trip but my wife hates it. I keep showing her pictures of places we want to go and haven't made it to yet!

Quote:

I'm leaning towards a Canon Powershot, a D10 or D20. Our guide in Galapagos had one, and he was able to go much deeper with his camera than ours without it imploding. I like real life experience over magazine numbers because the AW110 *was* supposed to go deeper than the PowerShot.

Yes, it was the AW110 and yes, it will die a watery death if you go snorkeling with it. I have confirmed with two of them - AW100 and AW110.
Spirit_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #1935
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 525
Need a little help from the ADV community

Hello everyone,

We need a little help from the ADV community.

Due to a family emergency we're going to have to cut our trip short.

We are currently in Lima, Peru and we need to be in Croatia as soon as possible. We will need to be in Croatia for a few months at the very least, so we don't want to leave the bikes in South America since we're not sure we're going to return.

There are two options for shipping, air or sea. There seem to be many ocean shipping options out of Lima, but the ship times are very long to Europe and none to Croatia directly, so we would need to fly to Croatia first, then fly back to Germany (or wherever the port is) to pick up the bikes to ride them back or arrange shipping by rail or truck to Croatia. Not optimal.

We would like to fly the bikes directly from Lima to somewhere in Europe as close to Croatia as possible. Munich is only 500 kms away from Croatia and would be the best bet. But we're finding it very difficult to find good information on air freight out of Peru to Europe.

We may have to ride to Santiago, Chile, as there may be more shipping options, but that is 3500 kms away and it will take too much time to get there.

We've sent out many e-mails and made many phone calls in the last day, but now we've hit the weekend and all we can do is wait for responses back on Monday.

We've got missives out to the following, so that we're not duplicating any effort:

Gaston Etchart, SAmericaXplorer here on ADV
ATG Logistics
Socopur Peru
Panalpina do not handle individuals, only business accounts
Agility doesn't do it
We're working our way through the list of shippers on Horizons Unlimited. Most of the companies listed are no longer operational and the reviews of shippers from Peru are from 8-10 years ago.

If you know anyone out there who has actually shipped a vehicle out of Peru by air, recently as an individual, not as a business, please let us know. A contact name and phone number would be extremely helpful as well.

Thanks, we really appreciate anything you can do for us.