User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #196
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Gene/Neda:

beautiful photos. Reminds me our our trip there too long ago. Banff is a bit over-rated, I preferred Canmore

anyway, WELCOME TO BC and hope your shoulder is getting better

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #197
strommergirl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hi! I just read your whole trip to date and love it! Safe travels and looking forward to tagging along on your adventure!
2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650
strommergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #198
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 573
Update from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/17.html

Banff to Jasper. With terrain like this, how can a motorcyclist not drool?

Pretty stream in Banff National Park

Neda took advantage of the beautiful hiking weather to snap some pictures of Banff National Park in the morning. I took advantage of the beautiful hiking weather to work on the blog...

The trails in Banff are marked for different-sized groups depending on the bear activity in the area. There are trails suitable for solo hiking, and others that require a group of 3 people or more to hike together. The thinking is that if you hike solo in bear country, you are bear-food for sure. But if you are hiking with at least two other people, you just have to be faster than one of them, so the odds are in your favour.

Good thing Neda bought a bear bell while we were in Calgary. Not sure why all the other hikers laughed at her bear-bell, I'm sure I heard one of them call it a "dinner bell"...

Neda's bear bell comes with a built-in silencer so you can turn it off and on. Handy, because I'm sure all the movie theaters in Banff require you to silence your cellphones, pagers and bear bells before the movie begins.

Ink pots at Johnston Canyon

Johnston Canyon was just across the way from our campsite, so Neda took a 3.5 hour hike to visit the famous Ink Pots, which are 6 blue-green pools fed by underground springs. The colour is from glacial sediments suspended in the water.

ATGATT *especially* when hiking in bear country

In the afternoon, we rode the famous Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper to take in the view of the Canadian Rocky Mountains all around us. We pass by a couple of beautiful-looking glaciers along the way.

Cold! Gerbings to the rescue!

R12GS needs some love too

I've noticed Neda's F650GS gets the lions share of attention on this blog. I know it's a newer bike, but now that my 12GS has shed it's ugly Aeroflow windscreen, I think it deserves a bit more screen time as well. I'm proud to say that the only Touratech item I've installed are the handguard spoilers...

Checking out the Athabaska Glacier at Columbia Icefields

Touratech commercial. When do you get the cheque, Neda?

Skies are roiling on the way to Jasper

As we venture into Jasper National Park, the skies darken, so the first thing we do is immediately set up our tent before the rain begins, which is imminent. The park has provided bear lockers where campers can store their food away from their tents. So we raid the other lockers for some free food before we head out to hike around the area.

Just kidding.

Maybe...

Shoutout to Neda's old hometown

Jasper Tramways operates a cable car that takes you up to the top of Whistlers Mountain just outside the town of Jasper. At the bottom, is a pinboard atlas where tourists can pinpoint where they came from. Tons of pins around Toronto, so I don't even try, but Neda notices not a lot of folks from the town where she was born.

That triangle down there is the town of Jasper

We continued to climb at the top of the tram to the summit of Whistler's Mountain. Whistler's Mountain, as well as the more famous Whistler ski resort in BC, gets its name from the whistling sound that marmots make. The views of Jasper and the surrounding rivers below were amazing, and even the light drizzle didn't dampen my enthusiasm to climb higher.

Some hike all the way up here to contemplate the meaning of life. Others just hog all the good seats...

Up at the top, we find snow!

Me and my new buddy Inukshuk check out the view together

In the evening, we ride into Jasper to get some Interwebbing and blogging done in a coffee shop. I don't know how these places make money when you can hog a table for hours and only pay a couple of dollars for coffee. We're kicked out at closing into the pouring rain, but when we ride back to the park, we're greeted with a warm and dry tent. Well, a dry tent, at least...

Singin' in the rain - Gene Kelly-stylez in Jasper

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 08:30 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:42 AM   #199
00SS
Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer: 1,688
The last set of pics just seemed to ooze happiness .. good on you both and thanks for taking the time to post your trip. safe travels..
Old 08-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #200
BTL
WINTER!! UGH!

Oddometer: 404
great RR so far..hope that shoulder mends itself well. Best of luck in your continued adventure.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #201
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
I'm surprised you didn't take the little side trip to see Athabaska Falls! It is incredible, the entire Athabaska river passes through a gap just 20' or so wide. I've been there twice, look forward to a third visit next year.

And by the way, the Athabaska Glacier has receded a great deal since I was there in '94.
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #202
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Hey guys! Love your spirit of adventure. Dumping the bike didn't stop you! Fixed the bike, mending the shoulder en route (hope it's getting better, btw) and you are continuing your journey! Thanks for taking us along.....
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #203
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Update from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/18.html

From Jasper, we rode Hwy 5 through Kamloops with a quick detour through 5A, the Princeton-Kamloops Highway, a very scenic twisty ride past a series of pretty lakes in the valley, to end up in Merritt. We met Veronica, another ADVer outside the Starbucks at Merritt. She was covered head to toe in dust, and with her dirtbike gear and astride her Suzuki DR, she looked completely hardcore. We talked for a while and on her map, she showed us some great dual-sport roads in the area. We hope to visit them in the next few days.

Princeton-Kamloops Highway

We had made arrangements to meet Kevin and Manon in Vancouver for the long weekend. Yes, Kevin and Manon from Ottawa (from our very first blog entry are now Kevin and Manon from Vancouver! They've moved clear across the country just to provide us with a place to stay for the weekend!

Beating the heatwave in Vancouver with Kevin and Manon

It was so nice having a real bed to sleep in, and a couch, and a wide-screen TV, and a fridge, etc. We caught up with all the MotoGP races we had missed and ate pizza and drank Cherry Pepsi and it was all so decadent! K&M spoiled us to bits and we let them! Vancouver was having a heatwave, so we spent some time in the park next to their new condo to cool down.

Thanks Manon for the picture!

We spent an (extra) long weekend with them, parking the bikes for a few days and doing nothing but watching the Olympics on TV, eating and sleeping. It was amazing to spend time relaxing with good friends after being on the road for only just a few weeks.

Sasha Koop from Funhouse Tattoo

So, to commemorate traveling all the way from the east coast to the west coast of Canada, Neda decides to get inked! Actually, she had been planning this for quite some time, having had to change tattoo artists from Toronto because of timing, and arranging an appointment with a Vancouver artist while we were on the road. Sasha Koop from Funhouse Tattoo came highly recommended and we all came to watch the action and provide support.

A future tattoo artist looks on while Neda gets inked

"Take the road less travelled"

Neda explains the meaning behind the tatto:

"The blue heron feathers are a style mash-up. The inside of the feathers is done in Haida First Nations-style, and the outside is a more realistic feather to soften the design. The beads represent Gene and I. Blue is Gene, red is me, and yellow represents my bike and the sun."

Personally, I'm not into tattoos for myself (more a fan of making new holes in my body), but I think the design is cool and the tattoo turned out awesome. Neda was ecstatic!

Suspension bridge at Lynn Canyon

Because everyone knows how much I *love* hiking (not), Kevin, Manon and Neda drag me out to Lynn Canyon. Since K&M are still new to Vancouver, they had to TripAdvisor where to take us. Right now, they're still "Kevin-and-Manon-*IN*-Vancouver", and they've got a long way to go before they become "Kevin-and-Manon-*FROM*-Vancouver"...

Lynn Canyon

Hikers in Lynn Canyon

So, seeing how I've probably visited Vancouver more often than K&M, I lead "Kevin-in-Vancouver" to the Gastown district downtown to take some touristy shots of the area.

A gaggle of GSes stop traffic in Gastown...

Gastown Steamclock

I was dismayed to find out recently that the Gastown Steamclock does not run entirely on steam! It is actually electrically powered and the only time steam is utilized is every 15 minutes when the clock gives a little show and plays a tune. Felt *so* totally ripped off...

Walking around Gastown

And of course, rain in Vancouver

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 08:31 AM
Old 09-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #204
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,146
That is one nice tattoo. That's not a fun place to get one usually either.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #205
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
Last to First

I usually read last to first. Sorry. But I was reading your lead up to the accident, I scan don't read much. I love your pics. And nice scanning too. Anyway, do you think this might have also contributed to your crash? "It does handle like a pig now with all the weight in the back, the front end feels so light and I have to push the bars a lot harder so I don't run wide in turns. Ack!"? Just wondering. Thanks for taking us along with you.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #206
Nteractive
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Loving the ride report very much .
Old 09-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #207
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
That is one nice tattoo. That's not a fun place to get one usually either.
She was such a trooper, I think it took almost 4 hours in the chair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post
Anyway, do you think this might have also contributed to your crash? "It does handle like a pig now with all the weight in the back, the front end feels so light and I have to push the bars a lot harder so I don't run wide in turns. Ack!"? Just wondering.
You may be right. Neda had the same violent tankslapper behind me but she managed to save hers through superior riding skill. :( Her bike is not as back-end loaded as mine. We're using everything we're hauling daily and I'm not sure how to redistribute the weight forward.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #208
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/19.html

We left Kevin & Manon's place with a bit of reluctance, not just a warm bed and comfy couch and TV and stocked fridge, etc. but the fun and laughter of good friends, and familiar company. We rode to Tsawwassen just south of Vancouver to take a 90 minute ferry to the island.

Riding around downtown Victoria

Uh oh, Neda spots a market and immediately, I know where I'm going to be for the next few hours...

We came back from walking around downtown and noticed that we got stupid parking tickets after paying for parking on the street. The cause was parking too close to the parking lines. There were no bloody parking lines! We took pictures of our parking spots, but it's going to cost us time and more parking money just to fight this thing. We feel so ripped off, and it took us a while to get out of this foul mood.

Seaplanes taking off and landing in Victoria Harbour

This is the first thing visitors see when they step off the seaplane. How inviting!

Victoria harbour is such a pretty place to spend the evening, you can watch the sun set on the waters and the city has done a really nice job with maintaining all the flowers and gardens in the area. Neda's favorite TV station is The Food Network, and one of the shows she watches is called Eat Street. She saw an episode called "Red Fish, Blue Fish", and she told me, "If we're ever in Victoria, we *HAVE* to go there!". So here we are:

Red Fish, Blue Fish, Orange Sunset

Red Fish, Blue Fish is a food truck right on the harbour by the seaplane terminals. We lined up for over an hour (!) and just squeaked in before they closed for the evening. The food was delicious, as promised and we had a spectacular view of the setting sun over the waters of the bay while we noshed away on great seafood.

Sleepy yachts in Victoria harbour

Neda found some great riding roads just north of Victoria on the east coast of the island. From Campbell River, we rode west on Hwy 28 as it cuts through Strathcona Provincial Park, staying the evening in Buttle Lake. As we pitched our tent, we heard scores of sportbikes ripping it up on 28, so we knew we had a great day of riding ahead of us. In the late morning, we completed Hwy 28 out to Gold River and then back again, eyes glued to the inside line of all the tight curves, trying to ignore the distracting scenery lest we end up as another roadside attraction on this awesome twisty road!

Hwy 28 from Campbell River to Gold River

We headed north through Nanaimo, debated about whether to be cheesy and buy Nanaimo bars for lunch, decided against it, and then took the very scenic and twisty Hwy 4 west through Port Alberni. As most of you know, when the riding is good, the pictures get scarce, so you'll have to trust us when we say, if you're in the area, Vancouver island has amazing riding!

We reached the west coast and stayed in a very expensive and uninspiring camp site in Ucluelet, just south of Tofino. So Neda went off in search of a new campsite while I pretended to blog.

Hero shot on the way to Mussel Beach

Mussel beach is at the end of an 8km gravel road in the wilderness, nothing but trees and a bear that lives about 1 km in. We know this because we've seen him everytime we go to and from our new campsite on the beach!

This is shot 5 of a 10-shot sequence... :)

During one of our trips on the bumpy gravel road, Neda's sidecase vibrates off the bike and she has to stop and walk back to pick it up. I guess I could have helped her but I was too busy documenting the event. I had to turn the intercom off because the obscenities were getting too vulgar for my delicate eardrums...

"Do you mind giving me a hand?"... so I clap... It's a tough job being the staff photographer...

The rocky beach at our campsite

Mussel beach is one of our favorite campsites so far. The owner has built funky sculptures and treeforts out of the driftwood lying on the shore. The treefort sites are bit too pricey for us, they fit 2 or 3 tents, so we just get a spot by the beach and the scenery is beautiful. The owner, Curtis, is super-friendly as well and we talked bikes with him and our tent-neightbour throughout our 2-night stay. Everyone loves talking motorcycles! They either have one, want one, is curious about ours or knows someone that has one.

Goin' fishing! Not really, I'm not a fan of fishing, but I'll happily eat the end-product...

I helped Luke push Curtis' fishing boat out into the waters. By "help", I mean watched a bit, then pestered him with questions, and then hopped in the boat for a paparazzi shot. He showed me some of his catches on his digital camera, one 50-lb fish half his height!

We asked a guy in Tofino to take a picture of us, his three-legged dog decided to hop over and pose with us. So cute!

We rode out to Tofino for the day to walk around the town and get some wi-fi. Now BC is a pretty bohemian province, but Tofino is the hippy-central capital with a surfer-twist. This picture is kind of special for us, since we've got a shot of us in Cape Speer out on the east coast of Newfoundland, and now we're in Tofino, out in the west coast of Vancouver Island. We've crossed Canada coast-to-coast and seen a lot of the country along the way, and I feel this was a proper way to say goodbye to the place that we've lived in for so long.

Waves and wavy lines in Chesterman Beach

Chesterman Beach

Sarah from Island BMW put us on their Facebook page! Cool!

We both got new shoes in the back at Island BMW. Taylor, the service advisor recommended Hidenau K76s in the rear for better wear than the Tourances. They seem very noisy, but we'll give them a chance once they break in to see how well they handle and then decide if we want to stick a K76 in the front as well next time or go back to Tourances.

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 08:31 AM
Old 09-07-2012, 05:02 AM   #209
Nteractive
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/19.html

This is shot 5 of a 10-shot sequence... :)

During one of our trips on the bumpy gravel road, Neda's sidecase vibrates off the bike and she has to stop and walk back to pick it up. I guess I could have helped her but I was too busy documenting the event. I had to turn the intercom off because the obscenities were getting too vulgar for my delicate eardrums...

"Do you mind giving me a hand?"... so I clap... It's a tough job being the staff photographer...
Not really the prince on the iron horse who helps a damsel in distress, are you?
I have to be carefull not to read your posts at work. It's hard to explain my laughter .
Old 09-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #210
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Wow! You made the coast to coast run across Canada! Great RR!!! Now you're about to really jump off into the next phase of your adventure. You mentioned leaving the country where you've lived for so many years -- how does that impending "leaving" feel? Like a loss? Or is it freeing? Maybe some of both. Just wondering, 'cause so many of us dream of breaking the shackles and hitting the road like you guys have and of course in dreams this is easy and exciting, but dreams can't convey the feeling of crossing that border and leaving "home", possibly forever, to go into unknown territory - both geographically and to an extent psychologically.

Glad to hear that the shoulder did not stop the ride. Continued best wishes to you both wherever and whenever your journey takes you and thanks for taking us as virtual pillions.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote