User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #2176
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 534
Message from Neda:

We are both so touched by the outpouring of support and virtual love from all of you. Your prayers, well wishes, lit candles and offers of pet therapy make us feel a part of a really amazing community. Thank you!

It is so sad to hear how many of you have experienced loss because of cancer; it can be a very merciless disease. To all those who have shared your stories of loss and recovery, your words resonated with me. I especially liked the comment about how the only way to get rid of grief is to get rid of love. That is so very true! As hard as it is to grieve for someone we've lost, that grief is but a manifestation of our love for them...

We're slowly starting to plan our next steps and look forward to continuing our journey. As always, we'll enjoy taking you along with us.

Neda
Old 08-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #2177
tamas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Dear Neda and Gene, very sorry for your loss

tamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #2178
advmoto66
Vagabond

Oddometer: 105
Neda and Gene my heart felt condolences are extended to you during this time. I have really enjoyed your RR and envy the two of you being able to travel the world by moto with a SO is priceless. God bless you both. It's awesome to hear that you will be continuing your journeys. Looking forward to seeing where the trail leads you next.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #2179
ridgerunner1061
n00b

Oddometer: 1
So Sorry for Your Loss

Hi Neda and Gene:
I know the pain you are going through. In May my mom's COPD started it's final stage and she only has a couple of months left. Since May I have been practicing ESCAPISM by reading your ride reports while I stayed with her at night in the hospital.

Your stories are helping me through a very dark time so I am sorry I don't have a story to distract you at least for a moment.

Take Care of Each Other
Peace be with Both of You
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not the size of the dog in the fight
It's the size of the fight in the dog.
ridgerunner1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #2180
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,408
So very sorry to hear about your loss Neda. {{{HUGS}}}
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #2181
mightys4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I lost both my mom and mother in law to cancer as well and just hope you have the best memories of your mom as I do mine.

I've been following your journeys since you started and have always enjoyed the next segment. I commonly tell my wife what I've read that day and where you've been and what you've seen.

I hope you find peace and more journeys and wish you and your family our condolences.

Gerry
Albany, NY USA
mightys4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:51 AM   #2182
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Oddometer: 583
Neda and Gene, my deepest condolences. I hope you'll find the strength to cope with your loss.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:03 AM   #2183
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Neda, so sad to hear about your mom. My heart reaches out to you from Toronto.

Gene, we will be in Slovenia soon, if you guys are still around, we can hook up and bring a little Toronto and Canada with us.

Be well, be safe, sending positivity your way....
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:05 AM   #2184
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Hi all, we need some Schengen Zone advice. I posted the following on Horizons Unlimited as well as the trip planning section on ADV, hopefully someone reading our thread will also know the answer:

===============================

We are currently in Croatia, having entered Europe (via Munich) with our Canadian passports. Our bikes are due to arrive soon, however, we envision staying in Europe for longer than the 90-day period that Canadians are allowed in the Schengen Zone.

We are both dual citizens, I have a UK passport and my wife has a Croatia passport. The reason why we didn't enter Europe with these passports is that we did not have them at the time, but do now.

Two questions:

1) Can we stay longer than 90 days just by carrying around our UK/Croatian passports?

2) If we bring the bikes in, is it better to register them under our UK/Croatian passports? How will that work if we are stamped into Europe on our Canadian passports? Will we have to be stamped out and then back in with our UK/Croatian passport? Also, the bikes are Canadian registered. Is it a problem registering CDN bikes under a UK/Croatian passport?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

lightcycle screwed with this post 08-22-2014 at 04:23 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:07 AM   #2185
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Gene, we will be in Slovenia soon, if you guys are still around, we can hook up and bring a little Toronto and Canada with us.
Hi Lori, we are fairly close to the Slovenian-Croatian border. PM your details, we'll see if we can meet up somewhere.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 AM   #2186
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Hi all, we need some Schengen Zone advice. I posted the following on Horizons Unlimited as well as the trip planning section on ADV, hopefully someone reading our thread will also know the answer:

===============================

We are currently in Croatia, having entered Europe (via Munich) with our Canadian passports. Our bikes are due to arrive soon, however, we envision staying in Europe for longer than the 90-day period that Canadians are allowed in the Schengen Zone.

We are both dual citizens, I have a UK passport and my wife has a Croatia passport. The reason why we didn't enter Europe with these passports is that we did not have them at the time, but do now.

Two questions:

1) Can we stay longer than 90 days just by carrying around our UK/Croatian passports?

2) If we bring the bikes in, is it better to register them under our UK/Croatian passports? How will that work if we are stamped into Europe on our Canadian passports? Will we have to be stamped out and then back in with our UK/Croatian passport? Also, the bikes are Canadian registered. Is it a problem registering CDN bikes under a UK/Croatian passport?

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Plenty of questions.
If you both have an EU/Schengen passport, as you do, you can stay and travel as you like.
For the bikes, I don't see why you couldn't have a CDN registered bike under a UK/HR passport. Expats usually retain their passport and nationality but their vehicles are registered locally.
I'm not sure if you need to be stamped out at all or not though, nor do I know the answers to your other questions...
2000 Suzuki SV650
2 x 1999 Suzuki TL1000R
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:39 AM   #2187
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Turns out that Croatia is not part of the Schengen Zone yet. Our Much-Beloved President Milanovic has said this will happen July 2015.

This may work out to our advantage since the 90-day timer won't start until we leave, but we still need to figure out if we can import a CDN bike for longer than 90-days on an EU passport.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #2188
mattsz
moto-gurdyist

Oddometer: 134
Neda and Gene -

Take a look at the number of condolences - how many lives you've touched!

My father passed in January - with my mother, my sister and me by his side, holding his hands. So glad you were able to be there!

My wife's mother passed a number of years ago now - it's a big hole that you can never fill, but as time passes it will be easier to step around, or across, as you require.

My thoughts and prayers are with you...
Old 08-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #2189
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Turns out that Croatia is not part of the Schengen Zone yet. Our Much-Beloved President Milanovic has said this will happen July 2015.

This may work out to our advantage since the 90-day timer won't start until we leave, but we still need to figure out if we can import a CDN bike for longer than 90-days on an EU passport.
From what I can find online it should not be a problem. Most EU countries seem to limit the use of foreign plates to 6 months but if you're residential address (still somewhere in Canada) is still abroad even that might not apply.
I'm sorry I can't give you a clear answer.
I don't even know who I should talk to get the correct answers. Customs? Consulates? Embassy?
2000 Suzuki SV650
2 x 1999 Suzuki TL1000R
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #2190
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsz View Post
Take a look at the number of condolences - how many lives you've touched!
I am quite simply blown away by the responses. It was not clear to us just how many people follow us on ADV until everyone started sending their well wishes. We are very honoured to have you all with us on our travels, encouraging and supporting us in this difficult time, especially those of you who have lost someone close to you to cancer as well.

Thank you so much for making us feel loved!