Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #2191
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schussboelie View Post
I don't even know who I should talk to get the correct answers. Customs? Consulates? Embassy?
We tried our Croatian customs agent that the shipping company contracted to get our bikes into the country. She told us that Canadian bikes have to be imported under the Canadian passport. Otherwise there are residency/work visa requirements to fulfill as well as import restrictions that we have to satisfy on the vehicles. So I guess that's that...
Old 08-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #2192
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Gene, I will pm you in a couple of weeks. You have a lot on your plate right now, just focus on what's important for right now.

Cheers and good thoughts to you both......lorie aka the shnizzle
theshnizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #2193
Mafketel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
my condolences.

You do not have to show bike papers or passports at the borders so
For Gene, don't worry about passports just make sure you enter and leave Schengen area with ur UK passport. Otherwise you might have a lot of explaining to do., if you have and entrance stamp that is not stamped out again.

I don't know the rules for Croatia - Eu, but I can imagine the family knows.

For the bikes If you're not that attached to your bikes you can consider importing and registering and selling them in Croatia/UK as that might be financially a lot more interesting than shipping them overseas again.
Again I do not know the rules for Croatia/UK but in the Netherlands you can import motor vehicles without paying all the taxes if you have been abroad for more then 12 months, own the vehicle for more then 6 months and you do not sell or rent the bike within 12 months.
I suppose a similar rule will be in Croatia or UK as well....
Otherwise migrate to the NL and sell the bikes there in the end.

If you're too attached and don't want to make them European/Croatian, While it would be tax evasion for me to drive you're bike in NL you can just do that without any issues.
I suppose this is the same for the rest of Europe except maybe in the UK where you might be evading taxes. That might be easily resolved by not showing your UK passport in the UK. For Neda the problem would be in Croatia for the same tax evasion reasons.
Mafketel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #2194
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Hey Gene,
First my Condolences. Never easy loosing someone you love, especially a parent. Unfortunately I’ve been there as well.

Now...on to your current predicament. I used to work both Consular and Citizenship at the Canadian Embassy in Rome. Although you probably already have figured this out, if you are a dual citizen (Canadian being one of those) you can come in on one passport and leave on the other. many people do this....I was also posted to India and this is what most if not all Indo Canadians would do when entering India....leave on the Canadian and enter on the Indian and vise-versa....especially when going through the states.

As for the bikes, all I can say is I have been down this road....and it is a convoluted mess. Sorry, I know thats of no help to you. However, if you enter the E.U. on your Canadian Passports and bring in the bikes under said passports there's really no reason I can think of that would stop you from popping over to the UK or even back to Croatia (or any other non-Schengen state) to reset the 90 days. If you're in it for the long haul it seems to me this should be doable...unless it stipulates specifically that its a 90 days period per calendar year....but this seems highly unlikely as backpackers do this on a regular basis for visa renewals.

So I would say bring in the bikes under your Canadian passports, do you 85 days and then haul ass to your nearest non-Schengen border for a pit stop when needed. With the beautiful roads in Europe, you guys should have no issues getting to-from.

Anyhoo...thats my 2 cents. The other thing to keep in mind is if you keep your travels centered around the southern countries (Italy, Spain, Portugal...) you will hardly if ever come into contact with any form of law enforcement....in the 3 years I lived and rode (like a madman) in Italy I saw 1 person pulled over by the cops. And I put miles down believe me ....so yeah...just sayin'

All the best and good luck on you continued adventure
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #2195
Mafketel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
.... to each there own. I have been stopped by the cops in Italy more often then in NL.
And I am not such an extravagant driver.

The non-Schengen trip you only have to do once though ;) as the issue is more that they don't like you overstaying, but if your not there you can't overstay right ;)
You stop before the border walk over border without moto use canadian passport to getout use EU passport to get back in ....

In NL you can drive ur moto for 6 months without any paperwork as long as the vehicle is registered in Canada(pay attention there is an error in the english website of the dutch tax office one page it states 3 months). U also need ur canadian passport (and residency officially).
Your allowed to stay on ur EU passport and Allowed to drive your Canadian registered bike on Canadian passport.
I can't imagine the rules are much different in other EU countries.

We had recently run in some conversation with the customs because of her dual citizenship + checking tax office website.
And above sort-off came as a result.

.....More pressing issue is how do I get to stay in the USA for more then 6 months in a row without immigrating I am only there for 10 months....(p.s. not a topic hijack or even wanting to get an answer here just a funny side remark)
Mafketel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #2196
Gazz_
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Really sorry to hear about Neda's mum. Please pass on my condolences.

Been following your ride report for the last couple of weeks and finally caught up to the end in the last day or so.

Looking forward to reading more of your travels once things settle down and you get back on the road again.

The things that I like about your report which I feel makes it better than other reports I have read, are; your photography skills and the additional information that you add about the area that you are in. You certainly have a talent when it comes to taking photos - some of your shots are truly amazing.

In addition to this, your slow pace of travel also appeals. I fully understand the need to take things at a slower pace and feel and experience your surroundings instead of just blasting from one location to the next.

Thank you for sharing your life with us for the past couple of years, it has been a very enjoyable read.
Gazz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #2197
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 550
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/166.html

After two long weeks apart, I joined Neda in Croatia. She's very happy that she's able to see her mom every day during visiting hours at the hospital, and now that I'm here, her support system is complete. We missed our 10th wedding anniversary while I was in Peru. :(

Re-united!

Pula is Neda's hometown in the Istrian peninsula of Croatia. The town is over 3,000 years old having been a part of the Roman Empire, the Italian Ostrogoths, the Germanic tribe of the Franks, the Venicians, then became part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and then united with the Republic of Yugoslavia in 1947. All the signage in Pula is in both Croatian and Italian to reflect its roots, and also to cater to the large number of Italian tourists that visit the peninsula every summer. Neda learnt Italian by watching TV programs that leaked across the airwaves of the Adriatic sea, which is how she was able to pick up Spanish so easily while we were in Latin America. At least that's my excuse...

View of Arena from the Pula Marina

Pula's claim to fame is the Roman-built Arena, which rivals the Coliseum in Rome for size and history. While gladiators fought orcs and minotaurs in the olden days, now big stars like Sting and Norah Jones come into town to hold concerts here. This summer, Joss Stone and Lauryn Hill are slated to play here. Neda showed me all the places along the wall of Arena where she and her friends used to hop over the fence and sneak in to avoid paying the entrance fee.

View of Pula Harbor through the walls of Arena

Every summer, there is a Gladiator show twice a week in Arena. Here, the cast is literally hanging out before the show.

Ship-building is Pula's other claim-to-fame. Neda's mom used to work here, and her uncle and many other relatives still do

Golden Gates (or the Triumphal Arch of the Sergi) is another notable landmark in Pula

I've been to Pula many times in the past, but most of the time, it was to visit family. Now that we're here for a longer period of time, Neda is able to properly show me all the places that she used to roam around when she was a kid. We are in the middle of the European summer vacations, so the town is over-run with tourists from Italy, Slovenia, Germany, and all over Europe. Tourism is Pula's other main industry, and the town's narrow streets are inundated with foot and vehicle traffic that will all but disappear by the beginning of September.

Shadows of tourists walk past the buildings in the old historic centre of Pula

While Neda is happy to share her hometown with me, she is also excited that I'll document Pula properly on the blog. She's very proud of this place that holds so many memories for her. I hope I do this very pretty place justice. One thing she doesn't like are all the crowds. Everywhere we go, she shakes her head at the congestion clogging up her city streets.

Pulankan Biker

This guy came out to talk to us when he spied us gawking at his motorcycle. Our bikes are going to be quite a long time arriving in Europe, and we are starting to miss having easy transportation with us. It's fortunate that we are staying in Neda's mom's apartment close to the city centre so almost everything is within walking distance.

Tourist central - old historic Pula

Bikes are allowed to park anywhere in the old city.

When we get our bikes, we're going to ride the 400 meters to the historic centre, park there and watch people gawk at our motos!

As is tradition, I always try to find an indigenous person to take a picture of when I go out with my camera

Arts and crafts for sale in the tourist centre of Pula

I ask Neda why she doesn't poke around the little curio stores in town, and she replies angrily, "That's what tourists do! I'm not a tourist!" The funny thing is these are *exactly* the same kinds of places that she loves going to when we're traveling. Like... EXACTLY! I stared hard at my new surroundings: the fresh paint on old buildings, new and expensive restaurants, bars and stores in the shells of Corinthian-styled edifices, the UNESCO-type-attraction of Arena that draws all the cameras and wallets out...

I told Neda, "Pula is a total GringoTrail town!" Her eyes widened, "OMG, I never realized it!"

Walking the city streets

Settling into Pula - I stake out my Man-Cave (Man-Corner)

It feels good to have a permanent place where we can settle down again. Neda is happy that there is a kitchen that she can use to cook, and we eat all of her favorite Croatian dishes now that the ingredients are all close at hand. The fridge is pretty much empty as she goes to the market every morning to get fresh groceries before visiting her mom in the hospital. One of Neda's friends is a musician and she lent me her guitar while we're here, which was really nice. Neda's old high-school friends are so compassionate and warm, taking us out almost every evening to keep us company and to keep Neda's thoughts and her mood positive while she attends to her mom.

More indigenous food, handed down from generation to generation - stuffed peppers

IndigeNeda takes me to all "The Best" places in town. This is "The Best" place in Pula for Burek, a traditional Bosnian cheese pastry

Bust of one of the National Heroes of Yugoslavia

Near the hospital where Neda visits Neda's mom is this interesting-looking building from the communist era. It used to be a military base for the Yugoslavian Army. When the former republic fell apart, the building fell into disuse and was set up as a refugee centre during the war in the mid 90s. Today it is being used as a very funky community centre, with many of its rooms being used by musicians, artists and various other clubs.

Courtyard of the community centre - still has a lot of the old-world communist feel to it

Karlo Rojc Community Centre

Pula hosts quite a lot of festivals and special events each summer. The most well known is the Pula Film Festival, which is mainly an outdoor event held at various locations in the city, including Arena. Unfortunately, Neda and I brought the RideDOT.com rains to Croatia, and it has been unseasonably wet and cold this summer. We attended a couple of films during the festival and one of them got rained out.

Pula Rain Festival

Arena is all lit up for a drier night at the Pula Film Festival

Fireworks over the city kick off the Pula Film Festival

Smoke from the lengthy fireworks display floats past the lights of the Arena, making it look like a cool flying saucer

Cranes above the shipyard are lit up every night in the summer for the tourists, just like a GringoTrail town
Old 08-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #2198
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 634
Great report, thank you for the update, we know it is weeks behind,
pceire32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #2199
mattsz
moto-gurdyist

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/166.html

Re-united!

My heart is lifted when I see this photo! So glad you two are together again!

Quote:
IndigeNeda takes me to all "The Best" places in town.

Quote:

Cranes above the shipyard...

So that's why they call them cranes!

Old 08-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #2200
CopperLioness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
My sincere condolences. I'm very glad that Neda got to spend time with her mother at the end and that you were there for her. Hard to be international at times like this.

I've really enjoyed your report, and was thinking about the border/citizenship issue because it is an interesting puzzle. I'm a triple citizen (born in Canada to American parents and now with Dutch citizenship through marriage) living in the Netherlands so have some experience thinking about this kind of stuff.

I think what I would say at the border is that you're Croatian/British, resident in Canada (and btw, also Canadian) and be prepared to show both passports. As EU citizens, you have the right to indefinite stay and travel, and as travellers you have the right to bring your bikes in to each country for a certain amount of time (6 months in a year often I think), so as long as you're not going to stay in one place too long, you should be fine. And as Canadian residents (in name at least, you're not really resident anywhere), you'd have the right to have the bikes and travel with them even if you were resident there on some other basis than citizenship.

There's nothing wrong with admitting to both citizenships. I often have to show two of my passports at the airport and they don't even blink. And the citizenship/residency distinction is important to keep in mind.

Also, I don't think you're planning to, but I wouldn't import the bikes unless you had serious plans to stay in one place. If you did want to, each country that I know of allows them duty-free as household goods with a move, but the process seems to vary, as well as how much would need to be done to make them comply with that country's rules. For example, importing a bike into the Netherlands as household goods is pretty easy - there was a basic inspection to ensure road-worthiness (I think I had to add one reflector) but for the UK it seems you'd have to have it really thoroughly inspected, and it looks like Croatia still makes you pay an excise fee. However, to do it here in NL, you'd need to be officially registered with the city as living here. We also have a road tax on each vehicle. And, after a year, you'd have to get a Dutch licence, and Canadian licences don't transfer (something I'm still bitter about). So, it doesn't seem worth the hassle. Even if you wanted to import sell them, you'd basically have to decide that a year ahead of time given the restriction on sale of household goods, which doesn't seem likely ;)

Anyway, if you make it to the Netherlands, we do have a guest room and a (huge) cat that loves to cuddle (and, fair warning, a couple of energetic but sweet kids).

2002 BMW F650CS
CopperLioness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #2201
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafketel View Post
.... to each there own. I have been stopped by the cops in Italy more often then in NL.
And I am not such an extravagant driver.
Wow, really?! I am genuinely surprised! I've had nothing but good experiences with the coppers there...but I was on a Ducati....and I am afraid the stereo type in this case is very true
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #2202
Blind Mule
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Condolences for Neda's loss. You are a magician with your camera. Your ride reports and film work are way cool!!! Did you work in advertising before your rtw? Thanks for letting me lurk along.
Blind Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #2203
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone11 11 View Post
However, if you enter the E.U. on your Canadian Passports and bring in the bikes under said passports there's really no reason I can think of that would stop you from popping over to the UK or even back to Croatia (or any other non-Schengen state) to reset the 90 days.
While that resets the Annex II visit duration, it doesn't get rid of the problem of the 6 months. The visa-free entry is 90 days per 6 months, which means you need to exit the Schengen Area for 90 days before re-entering for up to 90 days again. Without the bikes, it should be possible to exit the area on one passport and re-enter on the other one to get a nearly unbroken 6 months. I think there would be import complications for the bikes, though.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:15 AM   #2204
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,925
Gene
Nice picture show of Pula. Think Neda should be pleased at how well you showed off her city to the inmates.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #2205
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 402
Thanks for the update
Excited to see you are getting back on the road

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote