Oddometer: 40
Awesome pics of Seattle!
ohiomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #347
SWbySWXJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Los Angeles

I assume you'll be coming through Los Angeles. I've got a living room and covered parking for you! I'll ride around with you since I'm unemployed haha....maybe I'll head south with you?
SWbySWXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #348
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
I really can't make it to the other side of the world in a hurry
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #349
TouratechUSA
Made For Adventure

Oddometer: 469
Thanks for stopping by!
TouratechUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #350
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 578
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/38.html

We bid our goodbyes to Yaw and Hélène as they set off on their motorcycles to Whidbey Island for the day - which is where we just came from! We're taking the ferry over to Olympic National Park, at the north-western tip of Washington State. It boasts amazing scenery and riding roads: SOLD!

Saying goodbye to Seattle from the ferry. The ferris wheel is a mini "London Eye", just opened this summer.

The world-famous Highway 101 starts in Washington and we catch the road at it's most northern point, as it skirts the shores of Olympic National Park. The weather is a bit chilly and the scenery is not as good as advertised, but we see many bikers returning from their weekend rides, so it's still promising. The 101 is set inland a bit so we take Highway 113 (Strait of Juan de Fuca Highway) to the very tip of the peninsula, to a small fishing town called Neah Bay. Now *this* road is entertaining, were it not for the fog and rain haunting the coastline. Great views of the beaches and shores and some very tight turns. Yay!

Playing on the 113 to Neah Bay

Marina at Neah Bay

Neah Bay is set within the Makah Indian reservation, and fishing is the primary industry here - the docks at the marina are the most prominent feature of this community. We don't stay too long because the wet and gloomy weather seems to have taken permanent residence here, with the rest of the Pacific Northwest receiving an uncharacteristic long spell of sunshine.

Sunlight streaming through the trees on the 101

Doubling back on Highway 101, we travel southbound on the peninsula, visiting the many picturesque beaches that line the western shoreline.

Cue the chorus of angels

NatureGirl in her element

South Beach at Kalaloch

Waves crash on the hazy shoreline

Looking for interesting shells on the beach. Lots of crab shells!

Huge waves crashing on the shore, some almost as tall as I am

Playing tag with the waves of the Pacific Ocean

Fade to white

After spending some time hiking around the forests and beaches of Olympic National Park, we hop on our bikes again and keep riding south. Along the way, we pass through Forks, WA. If this town sounds familiar, it's because:

Lip-gloss-wearing vampires live in this town

The "Twilight museum" seems to have made its quick buck while the fad came and went. The place looks like it's been closed for quite some time! We spend the night at a campsite just outside of Forks, and I keep a tent-stake under my sleeping bag in case one of those sun-sparkly vampires mistakes me for a whiny 17-year-old girl named Bella...

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 09:24 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #351
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
Gloomy weather may suck but it sure makes for great photo ops, not that you need gloomy weather for great photos. As always, beautiful pics.
You don't seem to be in any rush to get to warmer weather...good for you guys.
Really enjoying your report, thanks.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #352
Scootard
Scraggle McSquarely

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/38.html

We bid our goodbyes to Yaw and Hélène as they set off on their motorcycles to Whidbey Island for the day - which is where we just came from! We're taking the ferry over to Olympic National Park, at the north-western tip of Washington State. It boasts amazing scenery and riding roads: SOLD!

Saying goodbye to Seattle from the ferry. The ferris wheel is a mini "London Eye", just opened this summer.
We were just there a couple months ago. Spectacular scenery and great pictures. Have a great time
Old 10-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #353
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Your RR is just awesome. I don't know what is better, seeing the landscapes or reading about the people you met. It's just amazing how much emotion and character you managed to bring in with the short story and these few photos of Yaw and Hélène.

Wow, wow!

I know that this isn't even close as a factor to have a good story, but what camera do you guys use? :)
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. – Morihei Ueshiba

Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:11 AM   #354
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Icebreaker View Post
what camera do you guys use?
Most of the on-bike shots were taken with the Coolpix AW100 - best ruggedized camera ever! And big buttons so you can use them with gloves. When we're off the bikes, we're using a D3000 primarily, sometimes a D60 and a few of the shots are done with the iPhone. Surprisingly good camera on those iPhones!
Old 10-21-2012, 05:15 AM   #355
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Update from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/39.html

The Pacific Northwest is normally a rainy, gloomy place, especially at this time of year. But much to the chagrin of local farmers, we've lucked out as Washington's Indian Summer has gone over 80 days without rain and the temperatures have been hovering around 20C during the daytime.

Our campsite at Brooks Memorial State Park

Come on, I promise not to Instagram you...!

"Which way to Watership Down?"

Unfortunately, this has also caused a lot of forest fires in the area, and one of the dual-sport roads we were looking forward to riding - the Washington Backcountry Discovery Roads - is closed. Despite the long break in Vancouver, we're still suffering a bit of fatigue from our hectic race away from the Arctic winter, so we've really slowed our pace in the last few days, just catching up on our reading and doing a bit of hiking in the area, relishing the warm and dry weather. This is the kind of leisurely pace we were missing on all of our shorter trips - the ability to wander wherever with no set schedule, not knowing where you'll end up for the night or how long you'll stay - and we are loving the freedom!

All Star Wars, All the Time at the Star Wars Store in Aberdeen, WA. With a little bit of "Live Long and Prosper" thrown in...

We follow Highway 101 hugging the western Washington coastline until we hit Aberdeen, then turn inland towards Mount Rainier National Park where we camp out for a couple of days. One evening, before we head for dinner, we run into a trio of riders just outside the park:

Ran into Tamas, Dmitri and Rey at Mount Rainier National Park, 3 local riders from ADV as well

A few days later Tamas sends us this pic and says hi to us on our thread on ADV!

Mount Rainier is Washington's highest mountain and can be seen from all around the area. Neda found us a great road that cuts further inland, State Road 410 AKA the Chinook Pass, which gives us great views of Rainier in the distance.

Riding up the Chinook Pass

Doing some hiking just off the Chinook Pass

Views of the valley of the Cascade Mountain Range

From Yakima, WA, we turned south on Highway 97 and visited Stonehenge!

Situated just north of the WA/OR border, this Stonehenge is a full-size replica of the one in the UK. It was built in 1918 to commemorate the American soldiers that came from the immediate area who lost their lives in WWI. The surrounding hills are covered in wind turbines, lending a surreal anachronistic quality around it.

Tilting at windmills

Can't imagine a structure this big built 3000 years ago without the help of aliens!

"These aren't the druids you're looking for"

Proud to be inside Stonehenge with the bikes

On a side note, it's Canadian Thanksgiving and to commemorate our ex-pat holiday (the Americans have their Thanksgiving over a month later), we eat a turkey sandwich at Stonehenge! We've been keeping in touch with family and friends over the Internet and social media but it's just not the same as being there with them in person, especially during the holidays!

Racing down the Columbia River

The Columbia River starts out in BC, but we now follow it as it snakes westwards back towards the Pacific Ocean. The Columbia River Gorge acts as a natural border between Washington and Oregon, and it's hard to keep your eyes on the road when you're riding beside something that spectacular!

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 09:25 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #356
Rhetorik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Amazing pictures and an amazing adventure!! Consider myself jealous!!

Keep up the good work, I cannot wait for the next installment.
Rhetorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #357
Ross1969
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
The real Stonehenge is nothing like the one in your photo, not to mention the real one is stone, not concrete blocks - come on over, couchsurf, and see the real thing!
Great RR and photo's.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #358
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 939
Gotta love the abundance of nice pics... great RR so far, keep up the good work
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #359
KTM 950S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post

Hélène is quite the geek - she pointed out the fractal cauliflower.
I wanted to follow up with a Mandelbrot joke but decided to reveal my inner geekiness a bit later
Sorry.....Sorry...Sorry...but i couldnt help my self....last year we go for snowboard to the Italian Alps...so stop at a supermarket for some shopping and photos...
[IMG][/IMG]
KTM 950S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #360
Bluebone
straight to hell

Oddometer: 2,378
still here and enjoying every bit of it..
Bluebone is offline   Reply With Quote