Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #601
GP1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
the feedback I got from rider I meet in Sayulita is those who rode through Baja never really experienced crooked transit cops. however those riding around Mexico mainland and coming from points south did experience it. i guess the mainland transit cops get paid so little that bribes are part of their pay. not sure the deal in Baja.

i'd say justice and fair play are things of the US and Canada...the land of laws. south of the border things are more about taking care of your needs and getting things done...mordida is just an extension of this. i'm sure you've noticed how people move through space available to them vrs the rigid this is my lane stay out US mentality. you'll see this even more as to head to the more crowded mainland.

biggest tip i can offer up is buy a separate wallet and put a few pesos plus and old credit in their. use that as your pullout wallet in case you run into any situations. a transit cop who makes $500 dollars a month seeing your big wad of cash at a stop will want some if you show it. petty theft is a bigger issue so secure everything on your bike. people as a whole a very honest in mexico, but not all are. in the end most will just see you as $$$.
Its sad that the main blight of this beautiful place is human beings. The more I read of Mexico the less I want to bike there. There are many, many beautiful places in the USA to visit, why ask for trouble ? There is corruption in the US and Canada but it is more of the passive aggressive type. " Sir, I'm giving you this ticket for going 60 in a 55 zone for your own protection" LOL My epic ride will include most States and the West coast of Canada, not Mexico. All I've been reading is "getting this and that paperwork is a PITA" I'll vote with my feet....errr wheels.
GP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #602
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1200 View Post
... My epic ride will include most States and the West coast of Canada, not Mexico. All I've been reading is "getting this and that paperwork is a PITA" I'll vote with my feet....errr wheels.
I won't do a thread jack here but it seems you are reading this RR but not understanding the deeper meaning. Gene writes with joy of each new discovery, be it turtles or crazy paperwork rules. You chose to stay "safe" and you miss out.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #603
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 634
Thank you for you great photos !

You are truly having a wonderful experience !

I love riding Baja, and will always ride where it gives me pleasure and stay out of judgement of other peoples choices.

To each his own !
pceire32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #604
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,682
Quote:
Its sad that the main blight of this beautiful place is human beings. The more I read of Mexico the less I want to bike there. There are many, many beautiful places in the USA to visit, why ask for trouble ? There is corruption in the US and Canada but it is more of the passive aggressive type. " Sir, I'm giving you this ticket for going 60 in a 55 zone for your own protection" LOL My epic ride will include most States and the West coast of Canada, not Mexico. All I've been reading is "getting this and that paperwork is a PITA" I'll vote with my feet....errr wheels.
nor do I want to detract from this RR.

Riding in Mexico is an incredible experience from the people, food & old culture. The reality of the world is the US & it's people have more $ than most places and people thus are targets. I would give the same advice for visiting any country on a MC. It's not a complete rosey picture all the time so my posts are point out things that might needed to be dealt with. That's travel.
You're missing the whole point here if you don't see all those incredible pictures.

Yeah foreign travel has it's ups and downs and pita things you need to deal with from time to time. The paypack for visiting new countries is 10 fold however. The sense of personal freedom is much higher in latin america than the US. The attitude is if what you're doing doesn't affect me then have it vrs the micro-managed policing in the US. You're more responsible for yourself and your personal safety. People will tell with this way of life, however, they infact feel safer in Mexico than in many places in the US.

If you don't get that or at least open to experiencing it, then yes stay in the US and Canada, your comfort zone. I fully agree there are incredible places to see and roads to ride here. I know, we make maps of those places...yet everyone who works for Butler Maps travels outside the US as often as possible as we love to see and experience it all. Change is good.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 11:26 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #605
Snownut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
I think what you are seeing are first timers trying to get familiar with the easiest procedure to get across the border, and wanting to make sure they have the proper documentation, as well as best practices. I would suspect that once someone has crossed a couple times its old hat and easier than the check out lane at Costco at Christmas.
Snownut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #606
eakins
Butler Maps

love those turtle release pictures!

we have done that 3 times (i have a 4yr old that was in heaven) in san pancho/san francisco (next town north of Sayulita say 5 minutes and one of the best spots for sunsets).

if you would like to experience that again here is the group
http://www.project-tortuga.org/
they release many hundreds of turtles each night at sunset.
they release at sunset as the turtles are hardest to see by predators and their chances of survival are best.
only 1 in 100 will survive and come back to lay eggs on these same beaches.
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 11:40 AM
Old 12-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #607
SparkyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
To GP 1200 - It's truly a shame you feel that way. Playing it safe will deprive you of many encounters with beautiful places and people. I haven't ridden a moto outside of the U.S. yet, but I would love to. I've been to Baja, and it is a spell-binding place. Now I have to go back on a moto. People like Gene and Neda, JDowns, Crashmaster, Guaterider, DWJ Donnie, etc. are truly inspiring. I sure hope they keep up with the hassles of border crossings, spanish lessons, turtle releases, mayan ruin exploring, and all the other stuff they report so I can learn from them.

Thanks Gene and Neda!
SparkyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #608
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,632
thank you Gene & Neda for bringing us along on your journey, can't wait to see where it goes next!

i need to find me some espanol classes..

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #609
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,120
Average costs

Lightcycle, I'm enjoying your report. You guys traveling attitude is spectacular.
Can you give us a idea, just a round number, of what a month on the road costs you both.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #610
GP1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post
To GP 1200 - It's truly a shame you feel that way. Playing it safe will deprive you of many encounters with beautiful places and people. I haven't ridden a moto outside of the U.S. yet, but I would love to. I've been to Baja, and it is a spell-binding place. Now I have to go back on a moto. People like Gene and Neda, JDowns, Crashmaster, Guaterider, DWJ Donnie, etc. are truly inspiring. I sure hope they keep up with the hassles of border crossings, spanish lessons, turtle releases, mayan ruin exploring, and all the other stuff they report so I can learn from them.

Thanks Gene and Neda!
I totally agree I would be missing out on some things. I am a very moral and ethical guy and I just would not tolerate nonsense like mordida .It's just theft by a different name. I also have a bad temper and that's not a good combo if you're in Mexico where many people wouldn't blink an eye taking your life if you piss them off. I have several riding friends who think the same way.
BTW I got my M1 designation in a class taught by Gene and Neda. Super nice people. Great RR, I'm taking notes for my own trip ! I will release the turtles vicariously through them ;-)
GP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #611
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
I totally agree I would be missing out on some things. I am a very moral and ethical guy and I just would not tolerate nonsense like mordida .It's just theft by a different name. I also have a bad temper and that's not a good combo if you're in Mexico where many people wouldn't blink an eye taking your life if you piss them off. I have several riding friends who think the same way.
BTW I got my M1 designation in a class taught by Gene and Neda. Super nice people. Great RR, I'm taking notes for my own trip ! I will release the turtles vicariously through them ;-)
?
You must watch alot of sensationalized news if you think that people will shoot you dead on the spot in an instant in Mexico. From what we've seen this is more of a problem in the US than Mexico. Yes there are issues with murders in Mexico but those are drug dealers shooting other drug dealers for the most part. The average Mexican is not going around shooting other Mexicans or tourists. Can't say the same for the average American. I guess if you have a bad temper, you're gonna find tension and problems anywhere you may happen to be. Yes I'd recommend you stay in the US.
Butler Maps website:
Old 12-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #612
eakins
Butler Maps

...back to this RR.

Gene & Neda, have anymore great pictures to show?
Since i'm in snowy Colorado for this winter (& not Sayulita) I look forward to your images of Mexico!
Butler Maps website:
Old 12-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #613
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Taking all your good advice to heart.

We haven't run into any crooked cops yet, but we've heard lots of first-hand horror stories from locals and travellers, so we're going to prepare ourselves. I have to admit, the whole concept of "la mordida" really rankles my sense of justice and fair play.
I'm originally from Mexico. I separate mordidas into fair ones and unfair ones.

I came to realize that if I were a cop in Mexico I might partake of a "mordida" now and then if that is what I had to do to feed my family. Cops in Mexico are living in poverty. So a cop settles a ticket and takes the cash instead of handing it to the state. Desperation/poverty leads persons to do all kinds of things. What really rankles me is the "unfair" mordidas, a cop trying to extort money instead of just pocketing what would have gone to the state.

Enjoying the RR
Old 12-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #614
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Our first week in La Paz has been very taxing. Every day, we're up early to have breakfast and engage Alicia in some morning Espanol, then off to escuela for cuatro horas of intensive vocubulary enhancement and verb conjugation. When we get back in the early afternoon, we have a little break then another session of homestay language practice over lunch. Our evenings are spent in the room doing a bit of homework and massaging our aching heads, random Spanish words leaking out of our ears.
That last line is funtastic!. I can just picture it, the reluctant student. Those words are just like your pictures, they really capture the mood. Thanks for taking us along.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #615
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 307
Baja

Nice to see that you are both doing well. Great pics as usual, love the turtles. The Baja is a special place and I am a little sad that we didn't ride it on this trip. Central Mexico made up for miss I will admit.

Spanish a struggle, join the club. Sara is doing great (even making jokes that people get) me not so much. I think I'm fairly intelligent. Made out in my old life well enough. Trying to learn this language though is well another matter all together.

Hope to cross paths at some point. Keep well and keep posting.

Hola from Panajachel, Guatemala.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote